BTRFS+ LXQt (Lubuntu-Next) - for the adventurous type

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Srtest

BTRFS+ LXQt (Lubuntu-Next) - for the adventurous type

Post by Srtest »

Been testing this configuration for quite a while and I'm very pleased and surprised. Even though both are a work in progress at this point, installation feels very stable. What I mean by stable is stuff that can interfere with ongoing operations or slow things down. EXT4 is supposed to be this rock solid FS while I've found Btrfs to be that solid and consistent FS. I experienced slowdowns on Ext4 that I didn't on Btrfs. What is fragile about this FS is the fact that they keep implementing major patches/updates and moving between kernels can still break stuff so as always - use at your own risk.

LXQt at this point lacks some stuff that for some might be a deal breaker like no scrolling on its file-manager for Wacom graphic tablets. You can always use another file-manager and there quite a lot out there (although I like AOS ones the best :-)

I urge those using Lubuntu to switch to LXQt as it is what you want from a Linux gui and is destined to replace that flavour's gui. It is simple and easy to configure across all options. It is really stable at its current state while updating system components can change that... Like removing themes and everything that interacts with it. It uses a framework from KDE so you can use Kwin (Openbox is needed just initially) and because I've been using it with the crippled PPC driver for Southern Islands cards, for those with older cards the combination of that with Compton can be really nice. Just don't expect it being a complete package just yet. Of course the non-optimization for the Power platforms's world also applies.

You can install it in two ways:

1. On top of a basic Ubuntu server as it now employs a full metapackge that takes care of everything regardless of Lubuntu.
2. On top of a Lubuntu Installtion (you just have to switch from Lightdm to SDDM).
xeno74

Re: BTRFS+ LXQt (Lubuntu-Next) - for the adventurous type

Post by xeno74 »

Srtest wrote:Been testing this configuration for quite a while and I'm very pleased and surprised. Even though both are a work in progress at this point, installation feels very stable. What I mean by stable is stuff that can interfere with ongoing operations or slow things down. EXT4 is supposed to be this rock solid FS while I've found Btrfs to be that solid and consistent FS. I experienced slowdowns on Ext4 that I didn't on Btrfs. What is fragile about this FS is the fact that they keep implementing major patches/updates and moving between kernels can still break stuff so as always - use at your own risk.

LXQt at this point lacks some stuff that for some might be a deal breaker like no scrolling on its file-manager for Wacom graphic tablets. You can always use another file-manager and there quite a lot out there (although I like AOS ones the best :-)

I urge those using Lubuntu to switch to LXQt as it is what you want from a Linux gui and is destined to replace that flavour's gui. It is simple and easy to configure across all options. It is really stable at its current state while updating system components can change that... Like removing themes and everything that interacts with it. It uses a framework from KDE so you can use Kwin (Openbox is needed just initially) and because I've been using it with the crippled PPC driver for Southern Islands cards, for those with older cards the combination of that with Compton can be really nice. Just don't expect it being a complete package just yet. Of course the non-optimization for the Power platforms's world also applies.

You can install it in two ways:

1. On top of a basic Ubuntu server as it now employs a full metapackge that takes care of everything regardless of Lubuntu.
2. On top of a Lubuntu Installtion (you just have to switch from Lightdm to SDDM).
Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences with Lubuntu/LXQt!
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.