Ubuntu Remix Dual Radeon HD reconfigure help

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Epsilon
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Ubuntu Remix Dual Radeon HD reconfigure help

Post by Epsilon »

Hi All,

When I originally installed Ubuntu Remix from the Live DVD my X1000 has a Radeon 4650 and Radeon 9250 PCI in it. The 9250 was never able to be used as a second display under Ubuntu. My understanding is that it is deliberately preventing from displaying.

Now I no longer have the 9250 installed - I have two Radeon HD cards in the X1000, the original 4650 and a new Radeon 5450 from Amigakit.

I am keen to use Ubuntu Remix with the two display cards, but I am not familiar with how to reconfigure Ubuntu on the X1000 to detect and use the additional display adapter now installed in it.

I would greatly appreciate any help on how I do this - please keep in mind I am not a linux expert. Thanks in advance for any help.

Catcha,
Epsilon
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Ubuntu Remix Dual Radeon HD reconfigure help

Post by daz »

Epsilon wrote:Hi All,

When I originally installed Ubuntu Remix from the Live DVD my X1000 has a Radeon 4650 and Radeon 9250 PCI in it. The 9250 was never able to be used as a second display under Ubuntu. My understanding is that it is deliberately preventing from displaying.
Don't know where you got that idea from...
Now I no longer have the 9250 installed - I have two Radeon HD cards in the X1000, the original 4650 and a new Radeon 5450 from Amigakit.

I am keen to use Ubuntu Remix with the two display cards, but I am not familiar with how to reconfigure Ubuntu on the X1000 to detect and use the additional display adapter now installed in it.

I would greatly appreciate any help on how I do this - please keep in mind I am not a linux expert. Thanks in advance for any help.
You and me both. I have tried, but with very little success. There is an option called xinerama which should enable to use X across 2 displays but I could never get it to work.

The best I managed was a text console on one display, and X running on the other.

Strangely attaching 2 monitors to the same card just works! Took me 10 seconds to configure that - can your monitors take more than 1 input source?

I am planning to put a second card back in my X1000 at some point, Christian has been doing good work keeping the kernel upto date, so the situation may have improved.

Sorry I can't help more.

Regards
Darren