-astate=A4?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

-astate=A4?

Post by kilaueabart »

I thought I'd have a go at kernel 3.17, but when I went to set up the variables I noticed that when I had upgraded from 3.12 to 3.14 I had been told to add to the front of the command, "set pmu -astate=A4." I probably never knew why, nor do I know whether that also applies to 3.17, but I put it in anyway and it boots. Did I need it?

I also ended up with single quotes instead of double around the 'root=/dev/... splash' stuff, and that seems to cause no harm.

The only difference I actually notice with the upgrade is that my Rubbish Bin is empty. But I probably didn't notice anything with the previous upgrade either; I just assume something is better.
Aloha,
Bart
elginseam

Re: -astate=A4?

Post by elginseam »

Bart,
set pmu -astate=A4 is not needed if you have the following default variables set and you use the boot menu to choose what OS to run:

speed=set pmu -astate=A4
STARTUP=speed ; menu

you can check by typing nvgetvar at an OS4 CLI prompt or printenv at the CFE prompt.
N.
A1000; A1200; A1500; Sam440ep 667MHz OS4.1; AmigaOne X1000
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Turns out the "speed=set pmu -astate=A4" was already there. Must have come that way; I sure don't remember ever doing it.

STARTUP is set to "menu" only. I will fix that.

Thanks for this, and in particular for reminding me that I can look at CFE stuff with nvgetnvar. I keep forgetting that and thinking I have to do a hard reboot to the CFE prompt, which of course I am usually too lazy to do.
Aloha,
Bart
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:Turns out the "speed=set pmu -astate=A4" was already there. Must have come that way; I sure don't remember ever doing it.

STARTUP is set to "menu" only. I will fix that.
Until you do that (i.e. call the "speed" macro from the "STARTUP" one), your machine will continue to boot slowly. Merely having "speed" defined doesn't execute it.

Best regards,

Nies
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Your "Until you do ... call the 'speed' macro from the 'STARTUP' one ..., your machine will continue to boot slowly" got my hopes up, but I can't imagine that Linux has ever booted more slowly than since I changed that. It almost seemed that the red progress bar on the OS4 boot screen moved faster, but I don't imagine that would be affected.

Do I still have something wrong?
7.System:> nvgetvar
name=options
little-endian?=
ETH0_HWADDR=00:50:C2:20:DA:75
MENU_0_LABEL=AmigaOS
MENU_1_LABEL=AmigaOS CD Boot
MENU_0_COMMAND=setenv amigaboot_quiet Y ;boot -fs=amigafs ide0.0:amigaboot.of
MENU_1_COMMAND=setenv amigaboot_quiet Y ;boot -fs=iso atapi0.1:amigaboot.of
MENU_DEFAULT=0
MENU_TIMEOUT=3
os4_commandline=DEBUGLEVEL=0 SERIAL
speed=set pmu -astate=A4
MENU_2_LABEL=Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
MENU_2_COMMAND=setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdb7 quiet ro splash" ;boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-3.12
MENU_3_LABEL=Ubuntu 12.04 with kernel 3.14
MENU_3_COMMAND=set pmu -astate=A4 ; setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdb7 quiet ro splash" ; boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-3.14
MENU_4_LABEL=Ubuntu 12.04 kernel 3.17
MENU_4_COMMAND=setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdb7 quiet ro splash" ; boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-3.17
STARTUP=speed ; menu
framebuffer=800/600/8/0x90000000/832
BOOT_CONSOLE=pcconsole0
CFE_VERSION=PAS-2.0.30
CFE_BOARDNAME=NEMO
CFE_MEMORYSIZE=2048
amigaboot_quiet=Y
Aloha,
Bart
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

It looks okay to me.

The only slight difference from my own vars I can see is that you have a space after "STARTUP=speed" before the semicolon, but I doubt that would matter.

The effect of the speed command (the "set pmu -astate=A4") should be to make whatever happens within CFE after that command is issued run at full speed. Once the operating system (be it AmigaOS or Linux) takes over, the speed setting is in the hands of that. I don't know what Linux does to set the CPU speed, but I would think it would set it to the full 1.8 GHz. AmigaOS does.

Best regards,

Niels