Linux kernel 3.5.7 and HD6670

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
tommysammy

Re: Linux kernel 3.5.7 and HD6670

Post by tommysammy »

I will try it too
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

I have tried twice to install it but each time, I don't have the ability to use keyboard or mouse click in the first user login window (I can just move the mouse, that's all)

On MintPPC or Debian I had no this problem.
I install twice Ubuntu, first time by choosing French Keyboard, the second with auto-detection feature.

I have an iMac keyboard and a amigakit mouse, during the linux boot, I see it (it's speed but I see it)

i will have to test again with English locale...

Ok, it doesn't work for me but the install process without CD is better than MintPPC or Debian.
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

Did you choose the correct desktop?

See the Insulation instructions. I think it is Gnome Classic (UNITY 2D also works)

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

UPDATE: Pg 57 Installation Guide

"At the time of writing, despite what might be listed in the login menu, only the Ubuntu2D and Gnome Classic (No Effects) desktop options are currently usable."

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Yes, I have read that.
During the package selection, I have choosed only 1 package "Ubuntu desktop".

"Page 54 To install the standard Ubuntu Unity Desktop Environment arrow down to the “Ubuntu Desktop” option and press the space bar to mark the option"

After all the installation is fine.

After reboot, I reach the first login screen (where the user name is on the left a little bit at the bottom).

Here I can't select something, I'm just able to move my mouse. No,keyboard, no mouse click.
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

zzd10h wrote:Here I can't select something, I'm just able to move my mouse. No,keyboard, no mouse click.
Yikes... same thing happened to me last night. I get to the Ubuntu login screen now and can move the mouse (though it seems sporadic at times) but am unable to select anything or type into the password box.

I did have a working Ubuntu install but without 3D acceleration until i followed the steps outlined above and in the guide to install the fallback Gnome options. But the result is what has happened now.

Meanwhile, I can confirm that my MintPPC install does have 3D acceleration if I remove my 2nd display card. But of course I don't want to run that way because I enjoy the second display under AmigaOS.
Last edited by mbrantley on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

New unsucessful attempt.

This time I select english locale (for keyboard, langage, etc) and I remove the R9250 before to begin the installation.

Same problem. No keyboard and no mouse button. Only the mouse movment is working.

I choose, only 1 package during the selection package, the “Ubuntu Desktop”

Here is my first (and final) screen

http://zzd10h.amiga-ng.org/X1000/Ubuntu ... failed.JPG

EDIT : Mbrantley, we post at the same moment.
It's sad for you too, but I'm happy to see that I'm not alone with this problem, I'm not crazy, ;)
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

zzd10h wrote: It's sad for you too, but I'm happy to see that I'm not alone with this problem, I'm not crazy, ;)
Ahem!

I have two Ubuntu installations which I originally set up for testing purposes some months back. One is on a HDD and the other on an external HDD. Both worked fine in the past.

However, I have just tested the ext HDD install and discovered the same login issue you both described with the vmlinux-3.5.7 kernel, whereas the installation on my internal HDD works fine. I will investigate further.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Is the difference is the kernel level used during install / bootup ?
Is the vmlinux39 the kernel to use during install / bootup ?
I will try it, fourth attempt will be the good one :=)
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

zzd10h wrote:Is the difference is the kernel level used during install / bootup ?
Is the vmlinux39 the kernel to use during install / bootup ?
I will try it, fourth attempt will be the good one :=)
I don't think that's it, but let us know if you discover differently. You see, I did not re-install Ubuntu. This is my old installation done with vmlinux39 kernel. I simply edited my CFE menu command line to call on the 3.5.7 kernel. On the next bootup, Ubuntu came up on my main display connected to my 6850 card. Previosuly with the old kernel, it appeared only on my secondary display which at this time is connected to a Radeon HD 4350 card. (If you're reading my older posts you might see me reference various other cards I've used as the 2nd card... but this low-end Radeon HD runs very cool and quiet and is good enough for secondary display duty -- a.k.a., where my DOPUS lives.)