Questions about new linux kernel and SafeOff

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
zzd10h

Questions about new linux kernel and SafeOff

Post by zzd10h »

Hi,

1) Just to know if someone knows when the Linux 3.5.7 kernel will be available ?

As seen on the Trevor's blog (05 november) it will include the acceleration for 5xxx and 6xxx cards, great !

And, on my Peg2, I enjoyed to use PegOff (more precisely, I enjoyed to don't use physical button to shutdown my Amiga), I read, too, on the Trevor's blog that a tool will be available (18 july).

2) Is this SafeOff tool still available ? Or is a release date announced ?

Thank, by advance for your reply,
And thank you Trevor for your useful blog (and the complete guides about linux & dual graphics card installation, work great)
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
marcus

Re: Questions about new linux kernel and SafeOff

Post by marcus »

I haven't seen the 3.5.7 kernel, but I have been testing 3.5.5 for a couple of days, so I can give some feedback on that.

My graphics card is a Radeon HD 6570. With 3.5.5, it works really well.
  • I have seen no graphical glitches or corruption, either in 2D or 3D (I haven't used much 3D yet, but glxgears runs fine with HW accel at least :) )
  • KMS is working correctly; I automatically got the optimal resolution for the monitor, and switching between X and console works fine
  • HDMI sound is available through ALSA
There are some things that could be improved though:
  • /dev/rtc doesn't seem to work correctly. The kernel picks up the time from the RTC, but fails to compensate for TZ, so the system time is set incorrectly. Then when hwclock attempts to rectify this from userspace, it times out reading from /dev/rtc. Well, no big issue if you have NTP... ;-)
  • Support for NFS4 was omitted from the kernel config. Simple to fix by building your own kernel, except that the source patch hasn't been released yet... That should happen soon enough though as it is required by GPL...
  • Also no KVM host support...
marcus

Post by marcus »

Follow up: I just tested Tremulous, and it gave me 30-50 fps at 1600x1200 resolution. Not too shabby.
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

marcus wrote:I haven't seen the 3.5.7 kernel, but I have been testing 3.5.5 for a couple of days, so I can give some feedback on that.

My graphics card is a Radeon HD 6570. With 3.5.5, it works really well.
All cards up to that one work well with 3.5.5, higher ones don't (kernel panic during boot), 3.5.7 fixes this.
There are some things that could be improved though:
  • /dev/rtc doesn't seem to work correctly. The kernel picks up the time from the RTC, but fails to compensate for TZ, so the system time is set incorrectly. Then when hwclock attempts to rectify this from userspace, it times out reading from /dev/rtc. Well, no big issue if you have NTP... ;-)
  • Support for NFS4 was omitted from the kernel config. Simple to fix by building your own kernel, except that the source patch hasn't been released yet... That should happen soon enough though as it is required by GPL...
  • Also no KVM host support...
Hadn't noticed the rtc problems I thought that was working OK. I do know AmigaOS4 stores the time in the rtc differenly that Linux does.

No patch for 3.5.5 has been released because I havn't made one yet! This was a test version I was trying to get full support for HD6xxx cards and wasn't sure this kernel was going to be released. I might get the chance to build one tomorrow. I *Have* sent Trevor links for the 3.5.7 kernel/modules and a source patch, I thought he woud have released details by now.

What is needed for KVM host support?

Regards
Darren
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Thank you 2 for explanation...
And therefore, no release date is planned for kernel and SafeOff ?
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

With regards to the 3.5.7 kernel and patches I was updating the Installation Guide before posting the links.

The new guide (which contains the relevant links) should be posted to the A-EON website in the next 24/48 hours.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Thank you Trevor for your reply about kernel,
Waiting for it to test my new 6670 with SuperTuxKart on Linux :)
marcus

Post by marcus »

Hi Darren, thanks for replying.

Yeah, the situation with RTC is a bit weird; everything looks hunky dory in dmesg, and obviously the time is read out at one point, but then the hwclock command does not work at all. I tried in both Debian Wheezy and Gentoo with the same result.

For KVM host, I think it's the config KVM_BOOK3S_64 which is needed. Although I notice it requires EXPERIMENTAL, so maybe it's not ready for general consumption yet... (I've used the 32-bit version, which is also marked as EXPERIMENTAL, without any problems on G4 though.)
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

The new Installations guides containing download links version 2.5.1.4 of the full GNU/Linux Installation Guide and version 1.2 of the Flash Drive Installation guide have been posted to the A1-X1000 beta test forum.

These files will be uploaded to the A-EON website shortly.

Many thanks once again to Darren Stevens (Linux kernel) & Pat Wall (multiple Linux distributions) for all their hard work. The full honour roll includes:-

Hans-Joerg Frieden: created the Multi-booting A1-X1000 firmware and version 1.0 of the Installation guide.
Tom Crecelius: extensive testing and feedback.
Ralph Holzer: created several working & experimental Debian kernels.
Vicente Gimeno: proved that Debian could be installed without the use of a second computer!
Stephan Scheele: created an updated Debian kernel with VPNsupport.
Darren Stevens: the ultimate A1-X1000 kernel Guru.
Pat Wall: the ultimate Linux distribution Guru.
AmigaONE X1000 beta testers: for testing and feedback

If you wish to add your own contribution to the Linux experience on the A1-X1000, whether it be a new Linux distribution, kernel, program or utility please send an email to contact (at) a-eon.com

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

Waiting to test/use this with my 6850 card. Hopefully will be able to report how I made out soon.