2nd Hard Drive recommendations

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.

2nd Hard Drive recommendations

Postby amigasociety » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:28 pm

So I plan on installing Linux on my X1000 and prefer to leave my nicely running Amiga OS HDD alone. ;)

Therefore I want to go buy me a 2nd hard drive for my X1000.

I take it the cabling for power and connection are floating around inside? I am not near my X1000 at the moment and forget what she looks like inside so wanted to make sure cabling is done.

ALso, what type of hard drive do you all recommend I install inside? I take it a 3.5" SATA drive say 500GB sufficient?

Anything special I should look for when installing the drive so it does not conflict with my 1st Amiga OS drive?

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
amigasociety

Re: 2nd Hard Drive recommendations

Postby ChrisH » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:17 pm

While spare power cabling MAY be available, I very much doubt there are any spare data (SATA) cables. So make sure to buy your own SATA cable!

I'd personally recommend Seagate HDs, just make sure to avoid the newest (i.e. largest) drives as they often seem to have firmware bugs that can trash your HD (but this seems to be the case for all remaining HD manufacturer). For example, if the latest drive model was a 7200.12, then I'd got for a 7200.11 or earlier.

Otherwise just plug'n'go I think!

BTW, good idea installing Linux to a separate HD. That way you can even unplug your OS4 drive while installing Linux, and thus avoid accidentally trashing OS4. But I'd still advise backing-up all your OS4 drives anyway, before installing Linux. You can never be too careful!
Last edited by ChrisH on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ChrisH » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Oh, BTW, I think that all new HDs are now "4K sector" aka "Advanced Format" drives. This means that OSes not designed for them will see a big speed penality (mainly when writing). Linux should be designed for them, but AmigaOS4 isn't (yet) AFAIK.

I have no idea how well it works with AmigaOS4, but Seagate drives have a special (propriatry) technology that is supposed to avoid the speed penalty with OSes that aren't designed for Advanced Format drives. This may or may not help the speed if you use it with AmigaOS4.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ggw » Sun May 06, 2012 9:45 pm

ChrisH wrote:[SNIP] But I'd still advise backing-up all your OS4 drives anyway, before installing Linux. You can never be too careful!

What are you using for a backup process? I've never faced a terabyte storage situation before. Since I expect to continue to be too lax about the matter, my past tactic has been to partition my HD into DVD sizes of 4 Gb so I could make burn DVDs whenever so moved. With a terabtye that is not appealing anymore.

Is anyone partitioning the 700Gigs I find here on my X1000?

Also, I got *A LOT* of flack for having my AmigaOne System disk as FFS. I see here that... SYS: is FFS. I hate dualing experts. Is there someplace I should go read calmly about pro & con on this subject?

ggw
George Wyche
ggw

Postby sundown » Sun May 06, 2012 10:23 pm

ggw wrote:
ChrisH wrote:[SNIP] But I'd still advise backing-up all your OS4 drives anyway, before installing Linux. You can never be too careful!

What are you using for a backup process? I've never faced a terabyte storage situation before. Since I expect to continue to be too lax about the matter, my past tactic has been to partition my HD into DVD sizes of 4 Gb so I could make burn DVDs whenever so moved. With a terabtye that is not appealing anymore.

Is anyone partitioning the 700Gigs I find here on my X1000?

Also, I got *A LOT* of flack for having my AmigaOne System disk as FFS. I see here that... SYS: is FFS. I hate dualing experts. Is there someplace I should go read calmly about pro & con on this subject?

ggw

The first small HD partition with amigaboot.of must be FFS or the system won't boot. Your full system partition can be FFS, SFS0, or SFS2. I would think all others would be SFS.
FFS will try to fix itself if needed & slow, the others are fast & never seem to have any problems & no tools to fix them if they do. FFS tends to have problems if the system crashes during a disk operation, can take hours to validate a large partition. Your choice, I haven't used FFS in years & SFS hasn't caused me any problems.

I do have a second 1TB HD I was going to use for backup, but ended up putting Linux on it to try out, I had an 80GB pata drive laying around, so put it in for a backup drive.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ChrisH » Mon May 07, 2012 1:08 am

ggw wrote:Is anyone partitioning the 700Gigs I find here on my X1000?

I would advise creating several "AmigaOS" (system) partitions - a primary one, and at the very least backup one. A third "test" one could be very handy on occasions. Apart from that, many people just have a "Work" partition... but I would advocate separating Programs & Data. Programs doesn't need to be too big (50GB should suffice no matter how mad you are), while the Data partition would take up the rest of the space. You MIGHT also want to have a small Temp partition.

The idea in the above partitioning scheme is that data files (pictures, music, videos, etc) take most space, but as they change frequently they are most prone to corruption. Therefore program files (which change less often) should be stored on a separate partition to keep them safe from corruption by data files. The Temp partition is for VERY frequently changing files (that are short-lived), and so are very prone to corruption, so keep them separate from data & programs.

Don't use partitions for ONLY organising the type of data (such as Music, Pictures, etc), because we have folders for that job. Folders can have 'any' size, where-as partitions require their maximum size to be decided in advance (which is extremely hard to guess in general). Only use partitioning for protecting against corruption, or because you need a different filing system for some kinds of files.

What are you using for a backup process? I've never faced a terabyte storage situation before.

For normal users I would recommend an external harddrive (of identical size). Onyxsoft's Backup program is probably the simplest solution:
http://www.onyxsoft.se/backup.html

The easiest way would be to have one huge partition on the external harddrive, with one folder per partition. More advanced users might want to duplicate their partition layout on the external harddrive (such that you are backing-up from partition to partion, rather than partition to folder).

An external USB harddrive should be fast enough now that AmigaOS4 supports USB2... but for *real* speed you could consider eSATA (aka External SATA). eSATA is really fast, but as AmigaOS4 doesn't support hot-plugging you will need to plug the harddrive in before (re)booting OS4. You'll need to add an eSATA socket to your case, but there are very cheap PCI-style backplates that connect an internal SATA port to the outside.

But I don't actually backup that way! Instead I keep my Amiga's Data partition synchronised with my Windows PC's Data partition, via the (shell only) FolderSync2 command + FTPMount + FileZilla over ethernet, and then backup my Windows PC to an external HD. Before doing the Windows backup, I use FolderSync2 to backup my non-Data partitions to my Windows machine (and my AmigaAttributes shell command records Amiga-only stuff like file comments & Amiga file protection bits & soft links). This is not for the faint hearted(!), and I could only recommend doing the Data synchronisation part (as the non-Data partitions are too fiddly for most people, and it still runs into problems with some wierd Amiga-only characters in filenames). At some point I plan to put most of this into one single utility, with a nice GUI, but who-knows when...
Last edited by ChrisH on Wed May 09, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mechanic » Mon May 07, 2012 12:47 pm

I used a 80GB PATA rescued from a windows box. Plenty big.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
mechanic

Postby nbache » Mon May 07, 2012 10:28 pm

ChrisH wrote:Don't use partitions for ONLY organising the type of data (such as Music, Pictures, etc), because we have folders for that job. Folders can have 'any' size, where-as partitions require their maximum size to be decided in advance (which is extremely hard to guess in general). Only use partitioning for protecting against corruption, or because you need a different filing system for some kinds of files.
Generally good advice. But personally I have chosen to use more partitions all the same, as it can also be quite problematic if your partitions are too big. E.g. if one gets corrupted, and you need to copy its data to somewhere else, reformat, and copy back (or in the case of FFS, even just to let it validate), it takes much longer for a 700 GB partition than for a 100 GB one.

An external USB harddrive should be fast enough now that AmigaOS4 supports USB2... but for *real* speed you could consider eSATA (aka External SATA). eSATA is really fast, but as AmigaOS4 doesn't support hot-plugging you will need to plug the harddrive in before (re)booting OS4. You'll need to add an eSATA socket to your case, but there are very cheap PCI-style backplates that connect an internal SATA port to the outside.
The official Fractal case for the X1000 does have an eSATA socket on the top front, next to the power switch and the two USB sockets. You just need to connect its cable inside the box to one of the built-in Sata ports.

Best regards,

Niels
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby AmigaDave » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:41 am

nbache wrote:The official Fractal case for the X1000 does have an eSATA socket on the top front, next to the power switch and the two USB sockets. You just need to connect its cable inside the box to one of the built-in Sata ports.

Best regards,

Niels

I guess since OS4.x supports the SATA controller on the X1000, then it automatically supports eSATA, if the correct cabling is used to connect the top-front eSATA port to the Nemo2 motherboard's SATA connector? I had wondered about that possibility, but I have no previous experience with eSATA.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
AmigaDave

Postby mbrantley » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:10 am

It looks like the newer Fractal Design cases, including the one used for my June 1200 X1000, has a USB3 socket instead of an eSATA socket. On my machine I don't think the USB3 socket is connected to anything (haven't checked) but the other two ports are.
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Next

Return to Platform: AmigaOne X1000