Questions from a new X1000 owner and new OS4.x user

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Questions from a new X1000 owner and new OS4.x user

Post by Calgor »

nbache wrote:
On another note: Not sure if this applies to you, but the thread has mentioned both using DVI->HDMI adapters and trying the automatic settings detection, and these two are, AFAIK, incompatible, as the DDC mode detection will not work through such an adapter. Just in case anybody tries that.
Did these adapters not work for someone? I have DDC mode detection (automatically detect) working on both DVI-I to HDMI and DVI-I to VGA with my monitor and the X1000.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Calgor wrote:
nbache wrote:DVI->HDMI adapters and trying the automatic settings detection
Did these adapters not work for someone? I have DDC mode detection (automatically detect) working on both DVI-I to HDMI and DVI-I to VGA with my monitor and the X1000.
At least it didn't work for me back when I tried it with my Sam440ep and an adapter to an HDMI cable to our flat-screen TV. I had to set up the mode manually.

Best regards,

Niels
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

Calgor wrote:
nbache wrote:
On another note: Not sure if this applies to you, but the thread has mentioned both using DVI->HDMI adapters and trying the automatic settings detection, and these two are, AFAIK, incompatible, as the DDC mode detection will not work through such an adapter. Just in case anybody tries that.
I first hooked up my X1000 through the DVI connector on my video card, to one of my two 20-inch Apple Cinema Display LCD's (which does not have any other inputs, other than the permanently attached cable with a DVI connector on the end). The X1000 "Splash" screen showed up, but when it was ready to display the OS4.x boot screen, it went black and stopped displaying anything after that. It might be that the Apple 20-inch Cinema Display cannot show the default 1024x768 resolution that had been set by AmigaKit when they installed OS4.1.5 and maybe the "Splash screen is set to a different resolution and that is why it was showing during the early part of the boot process? I don't know. I then switched to my Dell 20" LCD monitor and used the VGA connection, instead of the DVI connection and could see both the early Splash screen, and the 1024x768 OS4.1.5 boot screen and Workbench screen. So, I mistakenly assumed that the DVI port on my video card was not supported, since I know next to nothing about OS4.x.

I did not like the 1024x768 screen setting, so I went to preferences Screen Mode to set it to the monitor's native 1680x1050 resolution and saw that it was not listed as one of the available Radeon resolutions. I came here and asked why, and how to set up my desired 1680x1050 resolution and was told by one user to try the "Detect Settings Automatically" check box on the "Monitor" tab in the Screen Mode, Preferences program. When I did this, it deleted all of the Radeon screen resolution choices from the Preferences Screen Mode program and also made the Monitor tab grayed out so I could not go into that screen to "Uncheck" the check box for "Detect Settings Automatically". Another user or beta tester then told me one way to fix the problem by going into the Drivers/Monitors/Radeon device driver icon's Information menu item and AmigaKit's support staff sent me a more detailed message telling me how to fix the problem and how to create the 1680x1050@60 resolution that I wanted. So, now I have that fixed and I should try hooking up either of my monitors using the DVI port on the video card to verify that it did not get damaged during transit and is working now that I have the correct resolution to work with both my 20-inch LCD monitors, as I would guess that the DVI port output will be cleaner and better than the VGA port's output. I should have thought about it more before I followed the advice to check the "Detect Settings Automatically" while I was using a VGA cable, as I think that setting only works when using the DVI, or HDMI port on the video card, and not the VGA port that I was currently connected to. The person who had suggested that action was using his DVI port and a DVI to HDMI cable, or adapter, so that setting probably worked for him without causing the problems I described. Perhaps the OS4 Development Team should consider a warning message popup when this check box is selected that states it does not work and could cause problems, if the user is connected to the VGA port of the video card?

As I said before and will likely repeat many times again, I have a lot to learn and maybe even more to remember from my earlier Amiga days, so be patient with the (sometimes stupid sounding) questions that are bound to follow over the next few months.

So far I am very happy with the apparent performance and appearance of OS4.1.5. As soon as I can figure out how to create a Restore CD, or DVD disc, and clone my hard drive to a different hard drive I want to use instead of the 1TB drive that came with my X1000, I will begin installing a bunch of third party software to test and use, so I will get a better impression on how well OS4.1.5 works and what kind of native software is available (though I already have some idea, from reading reviews and forum messages in several sites).
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

Amigadave,

Glad you got it sorted in the end. Yes I did see much of that information posted by yourself earlier in this thread (my reply was mostly to nbache for clarification)

Yes I believe the screenmode for the splash screen is different to at least my X1000 desktop mode (and probably different to the standard 1024x768). Your monitor should probably have an info display in the menu when it comes up so you can see what screenmode your monitor detected it as (which is often the same as the actual screenmode, but sometimes the monitor incorrectly detects it as not all monitors are perfect). The splash screen is by CFE (motherboard firmware), whereas the subsequent desktop is by OS4.

The reason why Detect Automatically did not work for you could be a combination of graphics card, cable, monitor and OS. Which one of the latter three I am not sure. It would help if you had say another VGA monitor *and* cable for which to try with. Most cables these days should be fine, but not all monitors are compliant. I do know that some give bad EDID data independent of OS4. I expect the graphics card would not be the problem as it is from AmigaKit. I am not aware of others having a problem with Detect Automatically when using a simple VGA cable (without adapters). Please correct me If I am wrong someone.

Am sure you will enjoy the speed of the X1000 with all those third party apps! Glad you are having fun.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

AmigaDave:
I won't repeat all the advice you've heard before, just try to explain and help you understand what's happening.

The "Detect Settings Automatically" works equally for all outputs - VGA, DVI and HDMI. It merely tells the driver to interrogate the monitor during boot and to make up a list of available screen modes from which you can choose the mode you want. There are extra conductors in the cable to pass the conversation between the video card and the monitor. Monitors with VGA connectors usually have a blue connector if they support DDC.

You can enable or disable DDC at any time with the monitor tooltype "DDCMode = All" (Devs/Monitors/Radeon). The only difference between the output sockets is that their permissible scan ranges might differ from one to another. The device driver tells the video card which output to enable and the others are disabled, so you can't connect another monitor to a different output and expect to see a picture unless you reboot with the monitor connected to that other output. Most video cards only support one output at a time.

Now there are some adaptors out there that do not wire the DDC connections through from one plug to the other, so DDC detection won't work with those adaptors. However, connecting your Apple monitor to the DVI port should work just fine. Without it, your choice of monitor modes will be reduced to those in the tooltypes. Also, bear in mind that the H and V sync limits in the tooltypes might have been saved from the Dell monitor, which might have a larger range than the Apple, so causing the drvier to output a scan rate beyond the Apple's capabilities.

If you have another machine and a terminal program, you could observe the serial output from the X-1000 while it is booting and see all this driver-monitor chit-chat, along with the results. Without DDC connection, you are reduced to manually setting the device driver tooltypes (in the icon) to suit your monitor and its capabilities.

Whichever mode you use, when you call up Prefs/ScreenMode, you get a list of video modes currently available. If you have DDC enabled and "All supported modes" checked, you will see all the modes that your monitor supports. If you have DDC disabled or it can't get through, then you will see only those modes that are in the Devs/Monitors/Radeon icon tooltypes (click once on the icon, hold RMB and select "Information", then click on "Icon" and you will see all the tooltypes). Some modes may be incompatible with the scan limits quoted, in which case you won't see them.

Hope that helps to explain it.
cheers
tony
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

Dave,

You can create a disc so you can restore easly, via the DVD app under extras.
Select System: as your source dir and then create an image. You can then burn that image with same app.
You will then be able to boot from that CD as if it were your system: partition on the HDD.

This is how I do it with mine, works great, if you mess something up. As you can either boot from it and copy it back across.
Or you can drag the files you need back across replacing messed up files.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Christopher Follett wrote:Dave,

Select System: as your source dir and then create an image. You can then burn that image with same app.
You will then be able to boot from that CD as if it were your system: partition on the HDD.

This is how I do it with mine, works great, if you mess something up. As you can either boot from it and copy it back across.
So are you saying by making this DVD we can at boot instead of letting it boot from hdd select it to boot from CD and if this DVD is in the X1000 it will boot up from it?

That is cool.

tj
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

amigasociety wrote:

So are you saying by making this DVD we can at boot instead of letting it boot from hdd select it to boot from CD and if this DVD is in the X1000 it will boot up from it?

That is cool.

tj
Exactly, the app is AmiDVD.
If I get some time tommorow evening, Ill see about doing a guide to help.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

That would be cool!

tj
Christopher Follett wrote:
amigasociety wrote:

That is cool.

tj
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

Christopher Follett wrote:
amigasociety wrote:

That is cool.

tj
I believe you need to select the Bootable AmigaOS4 box to make a bootable CD. I also believe amigaboot.of needs to be on it as well, in root.

Ken, posted from TW :-D
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU