What is the state of 3D on the X1000 with the HD4650?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Sam

What is the state of 3D on the X1000 with the HD4650?

Post by Sam »

How functional are the drivers for the 4650? I cannot run Blender as I get a MinGL error. I am told I need to run Wazp3D which AFIK is a software CPU implementation of the 3D elements that would normally be provided by the hardware of the Radeon. Is this correct?
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: What is the state of 3D on the X1000 with the HD4650?

Post by Hans »

Sam wrote:How functional are the drivers for the 4650? I cannot run Blender as I get a MinGL error. I am told I need to run Wazp3D which AFIK is a software CPU implementation of the 3D elements that would normally be provided by the hardware of the Radeon. Is this correct?
The 2D drivers work well, as you should already have noticed. 3D drivers for Radeon HD cards are not available yet. Wazp3D will indeed allow you to run MiniGL and Warp3D apps, but it is a software renderer, so don't expect great performance.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

Sam wrote: I cannot run Blender as I get a MinGL error.
Have a look in the author's readme. You need to use a 1024x768 screenmode for blender to run.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
Sam

Post by Sam »

Hans wrote:
The 2D drivers work well, as you should already have noticed. 3D drivers for Radeon HD cards are not available yet. Wazp3D will indeed allow you to run MiniGL and Warp3D apps, but it is a software renderer, so don't expect great performance.

Hans

Thanks Hans. Yes- the 2D drivers work very well even with the 3D acceleration button checked to allow all of the fade effects - I take it this is a software rendering?
Sam

Post by Sam »

trevordick wrote: Have a look in the author's readme. You need to use a 1024x768 screenmode for blender to run.

Trevor
Sorry Trevor I missed that bit in the docs. Thanks! :)
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

Sam wrote:Thanks Hans. Yes- the 2D drivers work very well even with the 3D acceleration button checked to allow all of the fade effects - I take it this is a software rendering?
No. It's hardware rendering. I wish that they hadn't used "3D" on that button in the GUI, as all compositing is done by the 2D drivers. It's causing a lot of confusion. Rest assured that the Radeon HD 2D drivers fully support compositing.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

Hans wrote:
Sam wrote:Thanks Hans. Yes- the 2D drivers work very well even with the 3D acceleration button checked to allow all of the fade effects - I take it this is a software rendering?
No. It's hardware rendering. I wish that they hadn't used "3D" on that button in the GUI, as all compositing is done by the 2D drivers. It's causing a lot of confusion. Rest assured that the Radeon HD 2D drivers fully support compositing.
Please file a quick bug report against GUI prefs with your preferred wording and we can take care of that mislabeling.
ExecSG Team Lead
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

ssolie wrote: Please file a quick bug report against GUI prefs with your preferred wording and we can take care of that mislabeling.
Done.

Hans
Sam

Post by Sam »

Hans wrote:

Hans
I saw your press release on the A-Eon mailing list this morning which makes more sense now. The new drivers that you mention (0.32) - do we have them already or are they only on the 4.1.5 CD?
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

Sam wrote:
Hans wrote:

Hans
I saw your press release on the A-Eon mailing list this morning which makes more sense now. The new drivers that you mention (0.32) - do we have them already or are they only on the 4.1.5 CD?
You have version 0.32 on your machine. AmigaKit installs AmigaOS 4.1 update 5 on all A1-X1000s before shipping.

Hans