X1000 won't boot after FE

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Nagasakee

X1000 won't boot after FE

Post by Nagasakee »

I am 100% sure this is my fault.

I successfully installed and booted FE. But it seemed slower because I set my partitions to 4096 block size. So I reinstalled and somehow blew up my boot partition (CFE?). I should mention that FE installs correctly on my system partition, with no error messages in the install process.

I have reconfigured and reinstalled. I have a partition (BDH0) called "Boot" running DOS/3. (could not seem to format with DOSD/7. 1096 block size for this and ALL partitions.

I have a SWAP partition called SWAP, a System partition (DH0) using SFS/02, a WORK partition (DH1) using SFS/02 and a DATA partition (DH2) using SFS/02.

When I attempted to boot I get the splash screen for 4.1 FE, then the CFE menu (boot from 4.1 FE or CD) then it drops to what I think is the CFE environment. I get a message that the syetem cannot find the amigaboot.of file on IDE.

I rebooted with the CD and manually copied over the CD's amigaboot.of file and the Amigafilesystems.of files via a shell (to BDH0:) and rebooted.

I now get the system to go past the CFE menu screen, then to the back AmigaOS 4.1 FE screen, with no CFE error screen. However it stays there and does not advance to workbench.

I know I did this to myself, any suggestion on fixing it so that the X1000 can boot again? Do I need to provide more detailed info? Is there an easy way to force install of the proper files? I tried via the RDB (?) option in Media Toolbox but it didn't seem to give me an optio of which partition to put the files on (and why I did it manually later)
Pocasset, Massachusetts USA
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: X1000 won't boot after FE

Post by tonyw »

I have a partition (BDH0) called "Boot" running DOS/3. (could not seem to format with DOSD/7. 1096 block size for this and ALL partitions.
That sounds OK (I guess you mean 4096). One would normally run DOS\7 but \3 is just as good. There should be only a single file (amigaboot.of) in it, anyway.
I have a SWAP partition called SWAP
Not necessary on the X-1000. If you have 2 GB of memory, then it can't be used anyway. BTW, the block size for a SWAP partition must be 512 bytes (IIRC).
When I attempted to boot I get the splash screen for 4.1 FE, then the CFE menu (boot from 4.1 FE or CD) then it drops to what I think is the CFE environment. I get a message that the syetem cannot find the amigaboot.of file on IDE.
I rebooted with the CD and manually copied over the CD's amigaboot.of file and the Amigafilesystems.of files via a shell (to BDH0:) and rebooted.
You only need to copy the amigaboot.of file. The Boot partition needs nothing else.
I now get the system to go past the CFE menu screen, then to the back AmigaOS 4.1 FE screen, with no CFE error screen. However it stays there and does not advance to workbench.
It stays where? Showing the "AmigaOS 4.1" splash screen? Do you have a serial terminal to connect to it? Maybe something has crashed and you need to find out. Maybe you just need to wait longer, but you should know by now how long it takes.

Is the new system partition bootable? (Check with MTB, make sure it is ticked for that partition).

Are you using the CFE menu? Does it list your system partition in its list of bootable partitions?

You should be able to tell CFE to boot it manually, but I can't remember the syntax. There are several threads around detailing how to use Auto boot for your preferred partition.
I tried via the RDB (?) option in Media Toolbox but it didn't seem to give me an optio of which partition to put the files on (and why I did it manually later)
MTB is a disk/medium partitioning program and can't transfer files. You have to do (what you did) and use a Shell command.
cheers
tony
xenic

Re: X1000 won't boot after FE

Post by xenic »

SFS (not SFS2) is the recommended system partition filesystem. SFS & SFS2 should always have a blocksize of 512.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE