Dual Display unstable on X1000

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

Dual Display unstable on X1000

Post by amigasociety »

Recently installed 2nd video card. Stock Radeon 4650 stayed in and added Radeon R9 270. Have both displays working but lots of quirks going dual monitor.

I followed the install procedure from A-Eon but wonder if those procedures are 100% correct.

What I question is why the procedures show 3 drivers in the Dev/Monitor folder. Would think with 2 video cards should only be 2. The image in the procedure state if you folders looks like this, then you did thinks correct. It showed the driver for the 4650, the 9250, and the pcigraphics.

I did a Radeon R9 270 so my card showed as Radeon HD 7 so that is my 3rd driver in Dev/Monitor.

Is this correct on how it should be or should I only have 2? The one for 4650 and one for Radeon HD 7? Should I trash the PCIGraphics?

At boot splash screens are confusing. I have workbench on the new Radeon HD 7 but during boot the X1000 splash screen shows on the 4650 display. Then that disappears and workbench opens on the Radeon HD 7.

I have Dopus launch on the older 4650 display and it seems OK. But, I get mirroring of 4650 on the other monitor sometimes, really slow mirroring. I get lock ups when switching between displays and screens. I can be on display 2 and click take cursor back to then main display. Instead of cursor moving over, the cursor stays on display 2 but when I click and drag the screen down, the screen on the 1st monitor goes down instead.

Really odd behaviors.

Been experiencing all these quirks.

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Dual Display unstable on X1000

Post by Hans »

amigasociety wrote:Recently installed 2nd video card. Stock Radeon 4650 stayed in and added Radeon R9 270. Have both displays working but lots of quirks going dual monitor.

I followed the install procedure from A-Eon but wonder if those procedures are 100% correct.

What I question is why the procedures show 3 drivers in the Dev/Monitor folder. Would think with 2 video cards should only be 2. The image in the procedure state if you folders looks like this, then you did thinks correct. It showed the driver for the 4650, the 9250, and the pcigraphics.

I did a Radeon R9 270 so my card showed as Radeon HD 7 so that is my 3rd driver in Dev/Monitor.

Is this correct on how it should be or should I only have 2? The one for 4650 and one for Radeon HD 7? Should I trash the PCIGraphics?
IIRC, the reason for the 3 icons in DEVS:Monitors, is because we have no idea which one will become the primary graphics card. The primary graphics card's settings are loaded by name, while the secondary card is loaded by the PCIGraphics monitor file. The third file is unused, but useful to keep in case you pull out the other card later.
At boot splash screens are confusing. I have workbench on the new Radeon HD 7 but during boot the X1000 splash screen shows on the 4650 display. Then that disappears and workbench opens on the Radeon HD 7.
I don't remember that happening, although it's been a while since I've used 2 graphics cards at once.
I have Dopus launch on the older 4650 display and it seems OK. But, I get mirroring of 4650 on the other monitor sometimes, really slow mirroring. I get lock ups when switching between displays and screens. I can be on display 2 and click take cursor back to then main display. Instead of cursor moving over, the cursor stays on display 2 but when I click and drag the screen down, the screen on the 1st monitor goes down instead.
Strange. Do you have anything installed that messes with screen switching (e.g., switcher3D)?

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Thanks for the info Hans. Nope not using that screen switcher.

I will chalk it up to quirky dual monitor issue I guess.

So nice to know my folder should have all 3 files in their.

I wonder if somehow the system is using both though for the new display?

Like I mentioned... I get one screen flip flopping and switching to other display.... then back.... or actions on one screen (clicks and dragging) happen on screen I am not on.

Might be best I go back to one display.

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

amigasociety wrote:Thanks for the info Hans. Nope not using that screen switcher.
I didn't mean that specific screen switcher, but any screen switcher, or utility that hooks into the graphics system. it could be as simple as a commodity that adds a hotkey for screen dragging.
I will chalk it up to quirky dual monitor issue I guess.
I don't think that I had any of those issues when I had a dual graphics card system. Also, Mike Brantley created a youtube video of his dual graphics card set up. It seems to be working okay. He's forum nickname is mbrantley, so you could ask him about his experiences with his dual graphics card set up.
So nice to know my folder should have all 3 files in their.

I wonder if somehow the system is using both though for the new display?
No. Only 2 will be used. The other one is ignored.

Like I mentioned... I get one screen flip flopping and switching to other display.... then back.... or actions on one screen (clicks and dragging) happen on screen I am not on.
Might be best I go back to one display.
Yes, if it's not working properly for you.

You could also try disabling screen dragging. I never bothered doing this, but it might help. Picasso96 only has very basic support for multiple graphics cards, and when you drag a screen down it wants to show the screen behind it, and I'm not sure if it properly differentiates between screens on different monitors.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Also note that most people who set up dual graphics cards on X1000 (or Sam460) have one Radeon HD and one older Radeon, e.g. the 9250, so they can use it for 3D.

What is described here seems to be two (different) Radeon HD cards. I don't know if that makes a difference in what to expect?

Best regards,

Niels
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

nbache wrote:Also note that most people who set up dual graphics cards on X1000 (or Sam460) have one Radeon HD and one older Radeon, e.g. the 9250, so they can use it for 3D.

What is described here seems to be two (different) Radeon HD cards. I don't know if that makes a difference in what to expect?
No, that shouldn't make any difference. Mike Brantley also uses two Radeon HD cards in his machine.

Hans
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

I know Mike well and we have been conversing.

Hans, Mike is actually not using two HD anymore but one 6000 series and one 9200. ;-)

I think his works for him OK but yes, mine is a bit different. Not sure how long Mike used 2 Radeon HD in the X before going to the 9200 as #2 card.

Only commodity I did add later (but had same issues before adding it) is Severin's Swap Monitor where I can F Key between displays. But like I said... I had same issues before installing it.

I found if I did not do much with #2 display, I was mostly OK, but switching back and forth between displays eventually I started getting the display issues where workbench would now show behind my #2 displays Dopus 5, and or cursor showing on one screen yet the clicks being done on the other.

I should record it and post to YouTube. ;-)

But for now I have moved my 2nd 27" display to another system and will go single on my X1000 for now. Seems more rock solid this way.

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

I was using two RadeonHD cards for a long time/ This was after first trying an older 9250 card in a PCI slot but being disappointed at the speed of Warp3D when manipulating stuff in Blender. But now I am using an older 9200 card in a PCIe to PCI-X adapter, which effectively yields me a faster PCI slot and Warp3D performance is better with Blender.

But, yes, I did use two RadeonHD cards for nearly two years. That was my setup at the time I produced the YouTube video. Since that video I have started using two 1920x1200 16:10 monitors with a RadeonHD 6850 and a Radeon 9200 in the aforementioned adapter.

Only annoying thing about dual displays on the X1000 for me is the occasional system freeze when doing a bunch of flipping between displays. Seems better to not do this too quickly.... or maybe that has nothing to do with it. I do wish it was more bulletproof, but it works well enough that I don't intend to go back to one card and one monitor.
Benny

Post by Benny »

nbache wrote:Also note that most people who set up dual graphics cards on X1000 (or Sam460) have one Radeon HD and one older Radeon, e.g. the 9250, so they can use it for 3D.

Best regards,

Niels
In the beginning of this week I installed 2 Club 3D 7750 cards in my X1000, I just followed the instructions in the Guide by Hans and Trevor. It worked fine within a few minutes.
AlfredOne
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by AlfredOne »

Hi all,
I have the same issues with my dual gfx card configuration on my X1000:
- Radeon R9-280X 3GB
- Radeon HIS4670 1GB DDR3
Amiga500 Kickstart1.3
AmigaONE XE G4 833MHz - 2GB RAM - Radeon9200 256MB
AmigaONE X1000 - 2GB RAM
  • Radeon R9-280X 3GB
  • Radeon HIS4670 1GB DDR3
  • Radeon RX550
My site: https://project4a.eu