AmiDVD: Cannot write DVD/CDs anymore

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.

AmiDVD: Cannot write DVD/CDs anymore

Postby Raziel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:01 am

Latest updates installed.
AmiDVD 1.49

AmiDVD refuses to write *anything* to DVD/CD.

I'm getting
SCSI command 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 failed
sense: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 21 00 00 00 00 00
on every file/files/subdir/bin or whatever i'm trying.

The same works with the freely available FryingPan so i'm suspecting a bug in AmiDVD.
And no, it's not my DVD writer, i switched to another one and it produced the very same error.

Original cables from AmiKit still in.
I know it worked some time back.

Can anyone confirm?

FryingPan is outdated and not very much fun to work with (especially since MUI has been updated it's throwing a lot of warnings) so i'd really really like to see a bugfix.

AmiDVD is small, fast and easy to work with
If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian. ~ Sir Paul McCartney
-
Did everything just taste purple for a second? ~ Philip J. Fry
-
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style, ladies vomit when I smile. ~ Dr. John Zoidberg
User avatar
Raziel
 
Posts: 924
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: a story that hasn't been written yet

Re: AmiDVD: Cannot write DVD/CDs anymore

Postby Phantom » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:12 am

AmiDVD and FryingPan is different things, with Frying Pan you can easily create CDDA and data CDs, while with AmiDVD you just burn an ISO image (correct me if I'm wrong with this), so there is not possibility to create your own CD step by step (either music, video or data CD). I've registered FryingPan in the past, it's sad that this project seems abandoned.
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
User avatar
Phantom
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:15 pm
Location: Colossal Cave, Valaii

Re: AmiDVD: Cannot write DVD/CDs anymore

Postby Raziel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:22 am

Phantom wrote:AmiDVD and FryingPan is different things, with Frying Pan you can easily create CDDA and data CDs, while with AmiDVD you just burn an ISO image (correct me if I'm wrong with this), so there is not possibility to create your own CD step by step (either music, video or data CD). I've registered FryingPan in the past, it's sad that this project seems abandoned.

No, sorry, you are wrong.

AmiDVD may be small but it is a "full blown" CD/DVD creation program (so to speak...without all the bells and whistles)

Take a look here.
This is a step-by-step guide to produce a new bootable AmigaOS4 CD...i followed that steps and it brought the behaviour to my attention.

After i got this error i tried to simply copy one file and tried to burn it to a medium, same error and ever since it comes up (even after switching to another drive).
It looks like AmiDVD is trying to use commands that aren't supported anymore(?)

Edit: Just to add: I produced lots of data and music cds in the past, never tried with video cds though, but they all worked fine in any other reader (even in my car)
If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian. ~ Sir Paul McCartney
-
Did everything just taste purple for a second? ~ Philip J. Fry
-
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style, ladies vomit when I smile. ~ Dr. John Zoidberg
User avatar
Raziel
 
Posts: 924
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: a story that hasn't been written yet

Re: AmiDVD: Cannot write DVD/CDs anymore

Postby danbeaver » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:35 pm

What have you tried to fix the problem (rolled back updates, tried a fresh OS install, etc)?
User avatar
danbeaver
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: On the edge of the Equator in hot & humid Guam

Re: AmiDVD: Cannot write DVD/CDs anymore

Postby joerg » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:08 pm

Raziel wrote:FryingPan is outdated and not very much fun to work with (especially since MUI has been updated it's throwing a lot of warnings) so i'd really really like to see a bugfix.

AmiDVD is small, fast and easy to work with
I'll check the AmiDVD error, but you'll have to fix FyingPan yourself or find someone else who does it: https://code.google.com/p/amiga-fryingp ... /?repo=app
joerg
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:42 am

Re: AmiDVD: Cannot write DVD/CDs anymore

Postby joerg » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:03 pm

Raziel wrote:AmiDVD refuses to write *anything* to DVD/CD.

I'm getting
SCSI command 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 failed
sense: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 21 00 00 00 00 00
on every file/files/subdir/bin or whatever i'm trying.
It's not trying to write but read something, "Create Image" in the 2nd tab reads from a CD/DVD and creates an image file from it. Of course that fails if it's a blank ;)
You have to use "Burn CD-R" (or whatever media you want to burn) to write an image file, or on the fly directory but I don't recommend using that, to the blank CD/DVD instead.
joerg
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:42 am

Re: AmiDVD: Cannot write DVD/CDs anymore

Postby Raziel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:56 pm

joerg wrote:
Raziel wrote:AmiDVD refuses to write *anything* to DVD/CD.

I'm getting
SCSI command 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 failed
sense: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 21 00 00 00 00 00
on every file/files/subdir/bin or whatever i'm trying.
It's not trying to write but read something, "Create Image" in the 2nd tab reads from a CD/DVD and creates an image file from it. Of course that fails if it's a blank ;)
You have to use "Burn CD-R" (or whatever media you want to burn) to write an image file, or on the fly directory but I don't recommend using that, to the blank CD/DVD instead.

Now that is strange...i need to *create* an image of that subdir first to be able to burn it to CD?
My memory seems to be failing me again, as i'm "pretty" sure i was able to burn whole subdirs to a CD :-(

Sorry for the noise then, found the way it worked.

btw: nice to see you around joerg :-)
If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian. ~ Sir Paul McCartney
-
Did everything just taste purple for a second? ~ Philip J. Fry
-
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style, ladies vomit when I smile. ~ Dr. John Zoidberg
User avatar
Raziel
 
Posts: 924
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: a story that hasn't been written yet

Re: AmiDVD: Cannot write DVD/CDs anymore

Postby joerg » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:12 pm

Raziel wrote:Now that is strange...i need to *create* an image of that subdir first to be able to burn it to CD?
My memory seems to be failing me again, as i'm "pretty" sure i was able to burn whole subdirs to a CD :-(
You don't have to create an image file, you can enable "on the fly" at the top instead and burn a directory directly. But AmiDVD doesn't check for all possible errors before starting to burn a CD/DVD that way, it's safer to create an image file first (1st tab, not 2nd), and then burn that image file. If something goes wrong creating the ISO you only have a broken file instead of a broken CD/DVD.
joerg
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:42 am

Re: AmiDVD: Cannot write DVD/CDs anymore

Postby Raziel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:45 pm

joerg wrote:
Raziel wrote:Now that is strange...i need to *create* an image of that subdir first to be able to burn it to CD?
My memory seems to be failing me again, as i'm "pretty" sure i was able to burn whole subdirs to a CD :-(
You don't have to create an image file, you can enable "on the fly" at the top instead and burn a directory directly. But AmiDVD doesn't check for all possible errors before starting to burn a CD/DVD that way, it's safer to create an image file first (1st tab, not 2nd), and then burn that image file. If something goes wrong creating the ISO you only have a broken file instead of a broken CD/DVD.

Yes, mea culpa :-(
I missed the part with the image :-(

Would it maybe be possible to add an error requester instead of that cryptic error message?
If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian. ~ Sir Paul McCartney
-
Did everything just taste purple for a second? ~ Philip J. Fry
-
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style, ladies vomit when I smile. ~ Dr. John Zoidberg
User avatar
Raziel
 
Posts: 924
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: a story that hasn't been written yet


Return to Platform: AmigaOne X1000

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests