Can't connect to network - SOLVED

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
MikeSteed

Can't connect to network - SOLVED

Post by MikeSteed »

Everything has been going great as I get my new X1000 with OS 4.1.6 up and running, until I tried to connect to my local network. It's one of the wired ports on a basic Netgear wireless router, and it works fine with my A3000 and Miami, so there's nothing unusual about it.

I ran the "New Connection" program using automatic configuration, and it found the rtl8139 Ethernet port with no problem. I told it to connect using dynamic configuration. But when I click the "Finish" button to create the configuration file I get an error, and nothing appears in the "Connections" drawer.

I added the line "DEBUG=YES" to the RTL8139 file in NetInterfaces, and manually ran AddNetInterface from the shell. It replied "Could not add interface "rtl8139" (Input/output error)". The log output had the following:

Sat Aug 24 16:46:26 2013 [debug]: Interface 'rtl8139' hardware address = 64:70:02:13:BD:AC.
Sat Aug 24 16:46:26 2013 [error]: Interface "rtl8139" configuration failed with station address = 64:70:02:13:BD:AC (5,10193, Bad address, Unknown SANA-II wire error 10193).

And that's as far as I can get. The red light on the Ethernet card is lit, as is the corresponding light on the router. But the router's "connected devices" page (accessed via the A3000) does not show anything connected.

Any ideas?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Can't connect to network

Post by tonyw »

It may be a silly question, but do you have an 8139 PCI card plugged into the computer? Is your network cable connected to that card or to the Ethernet connector on the X-1000 motherboard?

AFAIK, the X-1000 motherboard's Ethernet is not yet supported.
cheers
tony
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

You shouldn't need to use the "New Connection" program...it never worked for me

You can easily setup your network with the Internet Prefs program

Interfaces:
Click on "NEW"
Name your device (i.e. RTL8139)
Set your device: Devs:Networks/rtl8139.device
Keep the unit/port
Don't check static IP
Check DHCP
Set your hostname (the address of your router, i.e. 132.164.193.1)
Keep the default packet type
Click on "USE"

Routes:
Can be kept empty, if this doesn't work for you then again add the address of your router leaving everything else at default

Hosts:
Don't change anything (yet)
(You can later when the network is up, add your router address and an alias for it, then you'd be able to ping the name of your router and won't be limited to it's address)

Name Resolution:
Can be kept empty (same as with "Routes" - if your router understands DHCP it will automate the process) otherwise just add your router address again

Services and Servers can be left out

On clicking "SAVE" the prefs will restart your connection and try to communicate with your router.
If all goes well a window will tell you that an internet connection has been built up and an IP has been leased until expiration blah, blah :-)

Now try and see if you can reach the web
Oh and be sure to reboot after you checked...there has been some problems of lost connections on reboot so be sure to check that out.

If it really loses connection on reboot, add step-by-step your router address to the afoirementioned places

Hope that helps
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
MikeSteed

Post by MikeSteed »

tonyw wrote:It may be a silly question, but do you have an 8139 PCI card plugged into the computer? Is your network cable connected to that card or to the Ethernet connector on the X-1000 motherboard?

I should have mentioned that I am using the port on the Ethernet card, not the motherboard port.
MikeSteed

Post by MikeSteed »

Raziel wrote:You shouldn't need to use the "New Connection" program...it never worked for me

You can easily setup your network with the Internet Prefs program

Hope that helps
Thanks, Raziel, that worked perfectly!

I had played with the Internet preferences some, but hadn't noticed that I could do the whole setup from there.

It's kind of, um, sub-optimal when the obvious way to do something doesn't work.
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

Glad you are up and running. I've added solved to your subject title.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

MikeSteed wrote:
tonyw wrote:It may be a silly question, but do you have an 8139 PCI card plugged into the computer? Is your network cable connected to that card or to the Ethernet connector on the X-1000 motherboard?

I should have mentioned that I am using the port on the Ethernet card, not the motherboard port.
Is the internal ethernet device of the X1000 supported now? And if yes, which driver is there to use?

If I trey to set up using the Wizard's automatic configuration it takes ages and after that my only choice is RTL8139.
Going with the Wizard manually I can select the "AmigaOne X1000 built-in Ethernet" pa6t_eth.device but when clicking next the screen flashes and I'm stuck there.

Still in "manual' setup I can choose to use the RTL8139 but then I get the following error: "Interface RTL8139 configuration failed with station address=00.17.etc.etc.. (10,19, driver is offline, Unit currently not connected)".
Other options are "ethernet.device and eth3com.device".

So can I use the internal at all?

thanks for any help
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Can't connect to network - SOLVED

Post by broadblues »

The onboard port is not yet supported.

Given that your error says unconnected in the text, did you chack that the cabling was correct, and that you are plugged into the 8169 ?

I'm using an 8139 myself and works very well.
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

broadblues wrote:The onboard port is not yet supported.

Given that your error says unconnected in the text, did you chack that the cabling was correct, and that you are plugged into the 8169 ?

I'm using an 8139 myself and works very well.
Thanks for answering so quickly.
Oh well, yes, the cabling and everything is correct, but connected to the onboard port. I don't have a PCI network card (RTL8139), I am using a Wireless one.
That's why I was wondering if the onboard ethernet is the RTL8139, "Internet Connection Wizard" was suggesting that card after the search.

Anyway, the thing is, I need to connect to a VPN network, and the external device sharing the VPN network does not have Wireless, I do have to connect using Ethernet.

I'll have to buy an ethernet card then.
I suppose there is no big difference if I choose one from the supported cards/chipsets, but any recommendation?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Amigo1 wrote:That's why I was wondering if the onboard ethernet is the RTL8139, "Internet Connection Wizard" was suggesting that card after the search.
No, the internal network controller is not using an RTL chip, it's part of the PA6T chip itself, AFAIK. The wizard is probably just defaulting to something common as a last resort.

Personally, I think the wizard should be retired, it isn't really helpful in the situations most common nowadays. As Raziel recommends earlier in the thread, use the Internet prefs instead.
I'll have to buy an ethernet card then.
I suppose there is no big difference if I choose one from the supported cards/chipsets, but any recommendation?
I use an RTL8139-based card (EDIMAX EN-9130T - but there are many similar ones), which works fine with the current driver. I have also used an RTL8169-based one (NetGear GA311) before, but back then the 8169 driver was a bit flakey. This has supposedly changed with the later version, but I haven't gotten around to reinstalling the NetGear card for testing yet, so I can't vouch for that.

Best regards,

Niels