Sometimes the X1000 doesn't boot [SOLVED]

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
cameraman

Re: Sometimes the X1000 doesn't boot

Post by cameraman »

I'm now having the same issue on my X1000 as xeno47.
Plugging a network cable into the flashing ethernet connector does not help though.
Black screen whatever I try....

Frans

xeno74 wrote:Hi,

Sometimes the X1000 doesn't boot. It doesn't display the CFE menu and the intern network connection flashes. When I plug the network cable in the intern network socket then the X1000 always boot up without any problems. But OS4.1 needs the network connection over the pci network card. It doesn't work with the intern network chip. The solution is to connect two network cables into the X1000 (pci card + intern) at time.

Can you help me, please?

Cheers,

Xeno
I've never met an Amiga I did not like...
cameraman

Post by cameraman »

Well, I've removed my Soundblaster PCI card and the X1000 came to life again....

Frans

cameraman wrote:I'm now having the same issue on my X1000 as xeno47.
Plugging a network cable into the flashing ethernet connector does not help though.
Black screen whatever I try....

Frans

xeno74 wrote:Hi,

Sometimes the X1000 doesn't boot. It doesn't display the CFE menu and the intern network connection flashes. When I plug the network cable in the intern network socket then the X1000 always boot up without any problems. But OS4.1 needs the network connection over the pci network card. It doesn't work with the intern network chip. The solution is to connect two network cables into the X1000 (pci card + intern) at time.

Can you help me, please?

Cheers,

Xeno
I've never met an Amiga I did not like...
328gts

Post by 328gts »

xeno74 wrote:Unfortunately I can't remove the network connector from the motherboard.

When I plug the network cable in the motherboard then the X1000 a l w a y s boot up without any problems.
That's my solution at this time ;)

Sometimes the X1000 doesn't boot without network cable in the motherboard. The X1000 has power (electricity) and hangs before the CFE boot menu appears with flashing motherboard network connector.
so is your boot up issue solved because I have the same boot problems with my 4670 and now also my HD6850 video cards?

when my X doesn't want to boot I must shit power down only from the PSU as holding the power button down for any amount of time won't work (this happens roughly every 3'rd or 4'th boot)
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

holding the power button down for any amount of time won't work (this happens roughly every 3'rd or 4'th boot)
I would be willing to bet a pizza that this is caused by occasionally intermittent contacts in your power pushbutton.

Turning the power ON only requires a brief contact, which so far seems to be no problem for you.
Turning it OFF requires CONSTANT contact for about four seconds, which might be tricky if the
switch contacts are a bit dirty.

Luckily, there's an easy way to tell:
If you install one of the "power down" apps, then a momentary contact will be enough to start the process,
and the app will "hold it down" for you.

If you give it a try I'd love to hear what you find.
328gts

Post by 328gts »

LyleHaze wrote:
holding the power button down for any amount of time won't work (this happens roughly every 3'rd or 4'th boot)
I would be willing to bet a pizza that this is caused by occasionally intermittent contacts in your power pushbutton.

Turning the power ON only requires a brief contact, which so far seems to be no problem for you.
Turning it OFF requires CONSTANT contact for about four seconds, which might be tricky if the
switch contacts are a bit dirty.

Luckily, there's an easy way to tell:
If you install one of the "power down" apps, then a momentary contact will be enough to start the process,
and the app will "hold it down" for you.

If you give it a try I'd love to hear what you find.
Lyle, I have no problem at all turning off my X with either the power button or via the powerdown app docky WHEN my X actually boots up that is!

The problem I'm referring to is once in every 3 boots or so it just refuses to even get to the initial splash screen at all, ie. press power button, led goes on, case fans and video crads boot up but thats it..just black screen and monitor doesnt acknowledge any contact from the X at all, only at this point does my X power buttton or reset button will not work at all & only solution for me is to power down via the PSU.

I'v had a thread open in the Beta forumns with this issue for a while now and suppossedly I'm the only one with this sporadic problem there so when i saw this thread I see my X has some company ;) btw, I managed to have my serial debug connected opne time when this boot problem happened and I get absolutley nada serail output :x
Last edited by 328gts on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

Sorry if my reply was headed in the wrong direction.
I misunderstood the problem.

I wish I could offer more help on the subject, but I rarely
turn the X off, and the only time it has ever given problems
while booting is just after running debian, and that is
solved by entering "menu" into CFE again.

Actually, today I went from debian to OS4 by a slightly
different method, and it gave no issues at all!

But I am off topic.
Good luck finding a solution!

Lyle
328gts

Post by 328gts »

thanks & no worries Lyle as it's just a minor nuisance really (fingers crossed for now anyways) as my X is solid otherwise.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

The problem I'm referring to is once in every 3 boots or so it just refuses to even get to the initial spalh screen at all, ie. press power button, led goes on, case fans and video crads boot up but thats it..just black screen
I have the same problem every 10 boots :(
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
cha05e90

Post by cha05e90 »

328gts wrote:the power button or via the powerdown app docky
Do you really need to *power* on/off? Have you tried to (re-)kick the system by just hitting the *reset* botton?
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
328gts

Post by 328gts »

xeno74 wrote:
The problem I'm referring to is once in every 3 boots or so it just refuses to even get to the initial splash screen at all, ie. press power button, led goes on, case fans and video crads boot up but thats it..just black screen
I have the same problem every 10 boots :(
well ok so it's just me & you out of the hundreds of X1000 owners then mate ;)