set up to read floppies on X1000?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Raziel

Re: set up to read floppies on X1000?

Post by Raziel »

nbache wrote:
tonyw wrote: And after all that, what do you get? The ability to read old Amiga disks which are all available on line anyway?
I sure hope all my floppies with backups and old letters and other personal documents aren't available online ;-).
Oh boy...i sure hope too (that goes for my data, of course) ;-)
Buy a CatWeasel instead.
That, however, is very true - if only you can find an Amiga floppy drive.
Hmm, but i thought that exactly THIS is the great advantage of having a catweasel installed...no need for a specially designed Amiga floppy drive...at least, i'm using a perfectly normal 3.5" PC floppy drive to read all my Amiga floppy disks AND PC disks AND all other sorts of 3.5" disks from numerous strange platforms (if i'd had some) :-)

The magic of coping with the different filesystems and block structures is done with the driver thru the catwesel, or am i wrong?
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Raziel wrote:Hmm, but i thought that exactly THIS is the great advantage of having a catweasel installed...no need for a specially designed Amiga floppy drive...at least, i'm using a perfectly normal 3.5" PC floppy drive to read all my Amiga floppy disks AND PC disks AND all other sorts of 3.5" disks from numerous strange platforms (if i'd had some) :-)

The magic of coping with the different filesystems and block structures is done with the driver thru the catwesel, or am i wrong?
No, you may be right. I keep forgetting the Catweasel progressed since my V3 ;-).

Best regards,

Niels
RobMattin

Post by RobMattin »

tonyw wrote:Neither the hardware design nor the software task is trivial. Granted, the software might be written for nothing by a fan with nothing better to do, but a hardware interface to a PC floppy needs to be designed and mass produced. Can you still get PC floppies with 40-pin connectors?
I don't think you'd be able to afford it, unless someone like Trevor paid for the hardware design out of the goodness of his heart.
And after all that, what do you get? The ability to read old Amiga disks which are all available on line anyway?

Buy a CatWeasel instead.
How much of the hardware side can be dealt with by the XMOS? The Xorro card already exists, it just needs the components to be added. Maybe the physical side is trivial, that was supposed to be the point with Xena wasn't it.
zappa2009

Post by zappa2009 »

Xena must only emulate an old slow A4000D IDE. Then add an Catweasel MK2 .
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

We have added Catweasel X1000 config to the Catweasel product page.
When you configure, select X1000, you will then get the cable that allows the catweasel to work on an X1000.

It works flawless with reading / writing floppies.

EDIT:- Page seems to be bust at the moment, wont let you add X1000 extras. Will get it sorted A.S.A.P.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
zappa2009

Post by zappa2009 »

Ah good to hear that the X1000-IDE is compatible as the A1200/A4000 IDE.
If someone want mor than Floppy better buy an MK4 Catweasel (Floppy and SID and Joystickports ;) ).
Otherwise an MK2 connect to the IDE for only Floppy-usage.
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

zappa2009 wrote:Ah good to hear that the X1000-IDE is compatible as the A1200/A4000 IDE.
If someone want mor than Floppy better buy an MK4 Catweasel (Floppy and SID and Joystickports ;) ).
Otherwise an MK2 connect to the IDE for only Floppy-usage.
MK4 PCI is no longer manufactured. So MK2 is the only Catweasel available now.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
ddni

Post by ddni »

Is it only dos disks that can be read, or are copy protected game disks readable too?
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

ddni wrote:Is it only dos disks that can be read, or are copy protected game disks readable too?
You need special software (WHDLoad) to rip those disks to HDD, but yes, it can
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
ddni

Post by ddni »

So that means that copy protected games either need to be installed with WHDLoad or ripped to .adf

How far away are we from being able to insert the floppy and have it load a game as we used to on our A500s (all be it from a seamless UAE environment)?
This for me would be a great feature to attract the die hard classic users towards NG Amigas.
Maybe this isn't even an aspiration?