Screen Modes Help Needed

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Screen Modes Help Needed

Post by nbache »

tonyw wrote:Well, I am twenty years younger than I was, ten years ago, I think.
See, that's what volunteering for the AmigaOS team does for you :-).

Best regards,

Niels
BillEaves
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by BillEaves »

tonyw wrote:Well, I am twenty years younger than I was, ten years ago, I think.

Unfortunately, the real problem is that you just cannot remember exactly how old you are these days :-(
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

ChrisH wrote:
When I click on the Monitor tab in the Prefs Screen Mode program, all the resolutions are shown there too, including the desired 1600 x 1200 screen mode.
That means you manually asked for a 1600x1200 resolution, but as it doesn't show-up as available it means OS4 thinks your monitor cannot handle that resolution. And that will be due to the Maximum VSync & HSync values you have set (or left at their defaults).

So either you need to look-up the specification for your monitor & enter the correct VSync & HSync values, or else you need to enable "Detect settings automatically" (which is supposed to find-out those settings for you).
I don't know what you mean by "That means you manually asked for a 1600x1200 resolution". I might have added the 1600x1200@60 to the tool type of the monitor icon, but don't remember now. All I know is that inside the "Monitor" tab all the resolutions, including the 1600x1200 resolution are checked, but only the 1600x1200 resolution doesn't show up as a choice in the available screen modes on the other tab.
When I first got my X1000 I followed someones advice here and used the detect monitor settings from the Monitor tab in the Prefs Screen Mode program and it erased all of my screen mode resolutions and defaulted to a very ugly looking and hardly readable resolution of 640 x 200, or 640 x 400, or maybe it was 1024 x 768.
When that happened, did you see higher resolutions listed in the "Available Modes" of Prefs/ScreenMode? If they weren't listed, then "Detect settings automatically" must have failed to work.... but it might still be worth trying again, since I think the new Radeon HD drivers may have been improved in this regard.

If it still does not work, then all you need to do is UNtick "Detect settings automatically", and then RE-tick all the listed resolutions, and then click Save Monitor.[/quote]

Using that "Detect settings automatically" check box when I first got my X1000 resulted in a small disaster where the resulting screen resolution was so bad, I could not make out any text on the screen and not knowing OS4.x from past experience, I could not guess what I was clicking on or selecting in any screens or windows. I am very hesitant to go through that again, but thanks for trying to suggest a solution. My screen is not bad now, but as all of our eyes get worse with time, and more so for people who use computers many hours a day and night, we all need as much help as we can get with clear looking screens, so I figured that having my monitor running at it's native resolution, instead of a scaled resolution, would be my best choice.

I will probably leave it as it is, because it really isn't bad the way it is now and I don't want to risk going through the same bad experience I had when I tried that "Detect settings automatically" check box or button.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

tonyw wrote:If you have a serial terminal connected to the debug output, you should see the display driver reporting what it found out from the monitor.

Do you have a direct connection between the monitor and the graphics card, or are you using an adaptor thingy? SOme of the adaptor thingies don't connect the DDC conductors from one side to the other, so DDC won't work.

As Chris said, the best thing to do is to simply switch on "Detect settings automatically", "All supported modes" and "Enable interrupts", then click "Save monitor". Let the machine do it all for you, there is nothing else you need to do.
I do not have any adapters and use a DVI to DVI cable from the video card to the monitor.

I have the external Serial Debug port, but do not have anything connected to it yet. It just sounded like a good idea to get all options when first purchasing my X1000, than to add it later. I don't own a serial terminal.
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

mechanic wrote:Since getting my X1000 I purchased a ViewSonic widescreen monitor. After trying many modes I've settled on 1366x768 as the best for these not-so-young eyes.
This mode is not listed in the docs that came with the monitor, however the refresh rate is well below some of the other modes listed.

I would think if the mode that works for your setup fills the screen proper and does not exceed the refresh rates of the other modes there should be no problem.

The 1680x1050 is just the number of pixels the card can pump out. As long as they all fit within the screen then the monitor should be AOK.
If your eyes are getting worse (like all of ours), I would think that would motivate you more to run your monitor at it's native resolution, so you could have the clearest picture as possible.

Off Topic: My A1200's modified ATX PSU bit the dust a while ago so I was hoping you would be making some more of those excellent Amiga A500/A600/A1200/CD32 PSU's so I could buy two more of them (I misplaced my CD32 PSU). Or am I thinking of the wrong person?
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

AmigaDave wrote: I have the external Serial Debug port, but do not have anything connected to it yet.
Don't worry about using a terminal. Just go to a shell and run DumpDebugBuffer. You should see any problems show up there.