MPlayer on X1000 - Use Generic or Altivec? Play AVIs?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

MPlayer on X1000 - Use Generic or Altivec? Play AVIs?

Post by amigasociety »

I downloaded and installed MPlayer 1.0 11.11.2010 on my X1000 and see 2 options, a Generic or Altivec. Both launch but wondered which one I should be running on my X1000?

Does this version supposed to play AVIs? When I attempt it on either version I hear a quick blurp of sound and nothing happens after that.

I don't have access to more AVI files but maybe it is a AVI issue? It plays fine on my Mac so.

tj
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: MPlayer on X1000 - Use Generic or Altivec? Play AVIs?

Post by sundown »

The older mplayers were rather buggy, but use the Altivec version.
A better player is mui-mplayer (muimplayer.lha) on OS4 Depot. That version requires the video to be set to cga_wpa on the x1000, the audio is set for ahi.
AVI's play just fine, I have many. :-)

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

amigasociety wrote:I downloaded and installed MPlayer 1.0 11.11.2010 on my X1000 and see 2 options, a Generic or Altivec. Both launch but wondered which one I should be running on my X1000?
Use the altivec version. The PA6T CPU in your A1-X1000 has an altivec unit, which is a Single Instruction Multiple Data (SIMD) processing unit. It's the PowerPC equivalent of MMX, SSE, and newer variants. Basically, it can perform operations on vectors of numbers simultaneously instead of one number at a time. Needless to say, this is faster (when used properly).
Does this version supposed to play AVIs? When I attempt it on either version I hear a quick blurp of sound and nothing happens after that.

I don't have access to more AVI files but maybe it is a AVI issue? It plays fine on my Mac so.
It's supposed to be able to play AVIs. However, I use DvPlayer (the full version), so I haven't tried MPlayer in a while.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Hans wrote:However, I use DvPlayer (the full version), so I haven't tried MPlayer in a while.
I personally use DvPlayer too and do hope Stephen continues with a newer release, I for one will be more than happy to pay another registration fee, great program!
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Epsilon
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Epsilon »

sundown wrote:The older mplayers were rather buggy, but use the Altivec version.
A better player is mui-mplayer (muimplayer.lha) on OS4 Depot. That version requires the video to be set to cga_wpa on the x1000, the audio is set for ahi.

Ken

Yes, I discovered the gotcha with the video - I couldn't work out why playback of video didn't work on mui-mplayer on the X1000...finally I googled a forum which spelt out the need to change the video type to cga_wpa in the settings of mplayer. Then it worked great. Perhaps there should be something in the readme for this as it would have saved a lot of time fumbling around in the settings!

I did note that playback of DVD content and standard definition avi, divx, xvid, mp4, etc, content was fine, but playback of HD content doesn't work well at all - basically unwatchable. I assume this is a limitation of the mplayer software rather than the X1000 speed?

Catcha,
Epsilon
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

Epsilon wrote:
sundown wrote:The older mplayers were rather buggy, but use the Altivec version.

Ken

Yes, I discovered the gotcha with the video - I couldn't work out why playback of video didn't work on mui-mplayer on the X1000...finally I googled a forum which spelt out the need to change the video type to cga_wpa in the settings of mplayer. Then it worked great. Perhaps there should be something in the readme for this as it would have saved a lot of time fumbling around in the settings!

I did note that playback of DVD content and standard definition avi, divx, xvid, mp4, etc, content was fine, but playback of HD content doesn't work well at all - basically unwatchable. I assume this is a limitation of the mplayer software rather than the X1000 speed?

Catcha,
Epsilon
Good suggestion and welcome to the party! :-)

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

Epsilon wrote:playback of HD content doesn't work well at all - basically unwatchable. I assume this is a limitation of the mplayer software rather than the X1000 speed?
Previous public comments from Steve Jones & others have indicated that HD videos are slow due to RadeonHD graphics driver limitations, which should hopefully be fixed in the future.