General Device Failure, Hard drive issue?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
AmigaNG

General Device Failure, Hard drive issue?

Post by AmigaNG »

Hi all not been on my AmigaONE for a while and thought I have a go on today and typical got an issue

Screenshot
https://drive.google.com/open?id=116lzF ... duhsE_Rndb

Whats weird is every time I try and reboot different files/folder are effected, some come back working where as some different one wont no longer work that where working just the boot before? I think the error code always the same. The problem seem to getting worst as sometime OS4 wont load.
anyway one help.
2012 - the year I got a new Amiga and the world ended.....a good year.
Petrol
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: General Device Failure, Hard drive issue?

Post by Petrol »

Hi,

I'm not able to see the screen capture you attached, but first, chek your sata connection, unplug and replug them, they are a bit instable on the X1000 sometimes.
If it doesn't cure your problem, it can be an other hardware issue as ram sticks, or a nearly dead Hard drive :/

Regards,
Xavier.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Sounds like you don't necessarily have a physical disk problem, if the errors are reported randomly all over the place like that.

Instead, it might be as simple as contact problems, either with your ram or your SATA cables.

Try - without the power switched on, of course - opening the case and removing and reinserting the RAM module (s), maybe even cleaning the contacts on them before reinserting.

Also try removing and reinserting both ends of each of your SATA cables, and make sure they are completely inserted and sit straight in their sockets.

Finally check the power cables to your disk(s) for the same (less likely to be a problem, but for good measure, since you are there already).

Best regards,

Niels
AmigaNG

Post by AmigaNG »

Switching the ram around and giving it a good dust out seem to have cured the fault. very odd. is this a technical or a software reason this happens? I just find it odd that it would do this randomly.
2012 - the year I got a new Amiga and the world ended.....a good year.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

AmigaNG wrote:Switching the ram around and giving it a good dust out seem to have cured the fault. very odd. is this a technical or a software reason this happens? I just find it odd that it would do this randomly.
Definitely technical/physical and very logical. The device driver (and everything above it) tries to get some data from the disk. This involves copying said data to RAM. The integrity of disk data is (in simple terms) ensured by a checksum on the disk, so if the checksum doesn't match the data, once both are in RAM, the system (in this case SmartFileSystem) will assume it is because of a disk fault. But in your case the disk data were probably okay, but because of the bad connection to the RAM, the copy in RAM got slightly corrupted, so the checksum didn't match any more.

As I said, it's a simplification, but that's more or less the story.

Anyway, great that it helped! Don't forget to take a backup, who knows if the next failure is going to be a physical one :-).

Best regards,

Niels