Minimum version for OS4 sources

This forum is for general developer support questions.
JosDuchIt

Minimum version for OS4 sources

Post by JosDuchIt »

I did read that it is better to open explicitly all libraries rather than to rely on -lauto.

What is the reason for this, as obviously if you have a lot of libraries to open, you get a number of typing errors and subsequent loss of time?

Anyway i am trying to do this for the Gui4Cli source. This means i think, that i have to identify for each library the minimum version. In examples i found values 50L and 52L.
Do all system libraries start with 50L for OS4.0 ? Are higher values systematic the same for update1, 2, 3?
If not what is the recommended way to handle this?
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Minimum version for OS4 sources

Post by broadblues »

There's no need to specify a minimum version for a library unless you need a specific functionailty intriduced at such a version.

Usualy the autodocs specify where a minimum version is required for agiven library function, or at what version the behaviour changes.

I think the disadvantge of using -lauto is that there is no minimum version control when you need it.
ZeroG

Post by ZeroG »

JosDuchIt wrote:I did read that it is better to open explicitly all libraries rather than to rely on -lauto.

What is the reason for this, as obviously if you have a lot of libraries to open, you get a number of typing errors and subsequent loss of time?
  • no error messages for the user in case of a problem (missing library, etc.)
  • no version check
Anyway i am trying to do this for the Gui4Cli source. This means i think, that i have to identify for each library the minimum version. In examples i found values 50L and 52L.
Do all system libraries start with 50L for OS4.0 ? Are higher values systematic the same for update1, 2, 3?
If not what is the recommended way to handle this?
The lowest version to use is 52 (OS4.0 non-Beta) for system libraries, or 53 if it's a OS4.1 only app.
trixie

Post by trixie »

@JosDuchIt
ZeroG wrote:The lowest version to use is 52 (OS4.0 non-Beta) for system libraries, or 53 if it's a OS4.1 only app.
I think (cannot check at the moment) that in the original OS4.1 (pre-Update 1), some of the ReAction classes (texteditor.gadget?) are still at version 52. Looks like oversight to me.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition