Intuition Menu Class

This forum is for general developer support questions.
mritter0

Re: Intuition Menu Class

Post by mritter0 »

In the wiki, the example "Generating a whole menu (sub-)tree from a single tag list" is what I am using for a large menu. This method is suggested. I can not get MA_Hidden and MA_Image to work. Not hidden and no image.
Said tag list is made up for the most part of the usual menuclass tags that are used to specify attributes of the individual objects
Are these tags not honored? If so, why not?
Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

@mritter0

I'm using this method for creating menus in a program I'm working on and MA_Image is working just fine on my 4.1 Final Edition system.

Are you passing a valid BOOPSI image for MA_Image?

The code I'm using is:

Code: Select all

menustrip = NewObject(NULL, "menuclass", MA_Type, T_ROOT, TAG_END);
if (menustrip == NULL)
    THROW();

success = DoNewMenu(menustrip,
    NM_Menu, "Project",    MA_ID, MID_PROJECT,
        NM_Item, "Open...",    MA_Key, "O", MA_ID, MID_OPEN,  MA_Image, get_image("open"),
        NM_Item, "Close",      MA_Key, "K", MA_ID, MID_CLOSE, MA_Image, get_image("close"),
        NM_Item, ML_SEPARATOR,
        NM_Item, "About...",   MA_Key, "?", MA_ID, MID_ABOUT, MA_Image, get_image("info"),
        NM_Item, ML_SEPARATOR,
        NM_Item, "Quit",       MA_Key, "Q", MA_ID, MID_QUIT,  MA_Image, get_image("quit"),
    TAG_END);
if (success == FALSE)
    THROW();
Where get_image() is:

Code: Select all

Object *XXXX::get_image(CONST_STRPTR name) {
	TEXT normal_path[256];
	TEXT selected_path[256];
	TEXT disabled_path[256];

Strlcpy(normal_path, "tbimages:", sizeof(normal_path));
	AddPart(normal_path, name, sizeof(normal_path));
	Strlcpy(selected_path, normal_path, sizeof(selected_path));
	Strlcat(selected_path, "_s", sizeof(selected_path));
	Strlcpy(disabled_path, normal_path, sizeof(disabled_path));
	Strlcat(disabled_path, "_g", sizeof(disabled_path));

return NewObject(BitMapClass, NULL,
		BITMAP_Screen,             screen,
		BITMAP_Masking,            TRUE,
		BITMAP_SourceFile,         normal_path,
		BITMAP_SelectSourceFile,   selected_path,
		BITMAP_DisabledSourceFile, disabled_path,
		TAG_END);
}
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

@xenix
I also noticed that IIntuition->SetMenuStrip() produces a warning for a menu class argument:
warning: passing argument 3 of 'IIntuition->SetMenuStrip' from incompatible pointer type

Maybe a seperate function (like SetMenuStripObj) with correct argument types would have been more in keeping with C language type identification.
The menuclass object has a menustrip in it, in the same way as a boopsi gadget has a gadget, so there is no need for a seperate function, you just need to cast the pointer, just as you would if you followed the convention of makeing all your gadgets Object * ather than struct Gadgets *s.

A seperate function to avoid a cast is a bit silly, especially given Salass00's point about other functions in the API.

You could always write a macro :-)
xenic

Post by xenic »

@broadblues
The menuclass object has a menustrip in it, in the same way as a boopsi gadget has a gadget, so there is no need for a seperate function, you just need to cast the pointer, just as you would if you followed the convention of makeing all your gadgets Object * ather than struct Gadgets *s.

A seperate function to avoid a cast is a bit silly, especially given Salass00's point about other functions in the API.
It's just my personal opinion but it seems silly to have to fill my programs full of type casting to avoid "type" warnings so I can focus on the meaningfull compiler warnings.

@all
I would like to point out that I would never have figured out how to use the new menu class without reading the AmigaOS documentation WIKI. I think the SDK should include a text or PDF version of the current developer WIKI with a warning that the online version may be more up-to-date. Some of us would be lost if the WIKI pages ever go down.

I actually read the SDK autodocs but the Intuition autodoc was not updated to cover changes regarding menu class. The autodoc entries for SetMenuStrip() ClearMenuStrip() and ResetMenuStrip() need to be updated to indicate how they should be used with menu class. My program would have had the appropriate type casting to begin with if the autodocs were up-to-date.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
mritter0

Post by mritter0 »

@salass00

Stupid error on my part for the images. I was locking the screen after creating the menus.

I still can not get MA_Hidden to work at creation. No big deal, I only have 2 items and they are temporary. I use SetAtts() to hide them after menu creation, before SetMenuStrip().
Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers
gazelle

Post by gazelle »

xenic wrote:I would like to point out that I would never have figured out how to use the new menu class without reading the AmigaOS documentation WIKI. I think the SDK should include a text or PDF version of the current developer WIKI with a warning that the online version may be more up-to-date. Some of us would be lost if the WIKI pages ever go down.
SDK:Examples/GUI/MenuClass/MenuClass.c
SDK:Examples/GUI/MenuClass/MenuClassLocalize.c