Setting the 'Start From' attribute of an icon.

This forum is for general developer support questions.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Setting the 'Start From' attribute of an icon.

Post by broadblues »

How do you set the "Start from" attribute of a project / tool icon from a program?

I just wrote a simple tool to replace the default tool in an icon, that is quite simple, but what I can't see in the includes relating to struct DiskObject etc is any flag that shows the start from attribute, ie Start From Workbench, Start from Shell, Start from ARexx.

Any ideas?
thomasrapp

Re: Setting the 'Start From' attribute of an icon.

Post by thomasrapp »

They are set by tooltypes:

start from wb -> no special tooltype
start from shell -> set CLI tooltype
start from ARexx -> set REXX tooltype

In case of CLI you can also set DONOTPROMPT to bypass the input requester.

If the icon is in WBStartup you set either DONOTWAIT if the program does not finish or WAIT=nn to tell Workbench how many seconds it should wait for the program to finish (default is 5). And finally there is STARTPRI=nn which defines the order in which programs are started, but I think this does not longer apply since WBStartup became a program instead of a directory.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

thomasrapp wrote:And finally there is STARTPRI=nn which defines the order in which programs are started, but I think this does not longer apply since WBStartup became a program instead of a directory.
As far as I know, STARTPRI is still obeyed by the new WBStartup management.

Best regards,

Niels
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Thanks Thomas I thought I remebered this was the case, but when I examined the toltypes of test icon, even with RAWBInfo turned off, the CLI and DONOTPROMPT tooltypes didn't show in the GUI, so I doubted my memory.

I have bunch of icon tooltype maniuplation routnes so should be able to get that working.
xenic

Post by xenic »

nbache wrote:As far as I know, STARTPRI is still obeyed by the new WBStartup management.
It does appear to be obeyed but you can't set it with OS4.1FE WBStartup prefs because it's broken (as was reported shortly after OS44.1FE was made available). If you select "Information" for items in the lister in WBStarup prefs, all the WBStartup files will show a start priority of 0 and a wait time of 5 seconds. If you check the icons with Workbench Icons/Information you will see the correct Tooltypes for the program.

If you change the start priority for a program in the Information window opened by WBStartup prefs and select save, WBStartup will save a project icon with an extra ".info" appended. In other words, WBStartup will save the Information for "DepthToFront" as "DepthToFront.info.info". It will also change the path to to the program from SYS: to System: which means the WBStartup prefs won't work if you copy them to another boot partition.

If you select "Information" for a program in the WBStartup lister and then Cancel, the program will disappear from the lister. I'm not sure what happens if you save WBStartup prefs after the program is removed from the list.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

xenic wrote:It does appear to be obeyed but you can't set it with OS4.1FE WBStartup prefs because it's broken (as was reported shortly after OS44.1FE was made available).
Yep, those bugs are already in Bugzilla and being worked on.

Best regards,

Niels
chris

Post by chris »

An additional bug with the old WBStartUp Prefs (which I'm guessing will be the same on the new one when it's fixed), is that the checkbox to set DONOTWAIT does not appear - you have to set that tooltype manually, which is a pain as usually you want it.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

@Chris

The Wait Until Finshed button is present on FE on the x1k, bottom of icon tab in the information requester.

version 53.25