Problems with a cold reboot

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
DavidMiga

Problems with a cold reboot

Post by DavidMiga »

Hello!

When I start my Sam460 for the first time, I have my mouse, my keyboard and my internet connection which generally work well. Only a few times, I have to reconnect the mouse due to a block.

But my problem is general and recurring one:
When I do a cold reboot by typing "reboot warmreboot" or "reboot warmreboot sync", I usually lose my Internet connection, mouse, and sometimes even the keyboard.

I have changed several times material, but nothing works. It's a bit frustrating!
cha05e90

Re: Problems with a cold reboot

Post by cha05e90 »

DavidMiga wrote:by typing "reboot warmreboot" or "reboot warmreboot sync"
Somewhat irritating: You're *not* doing a cold reboot, but a warm reboot.
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
xenic

Post by xenic »

cha05e90 wrote:
DavidMiga wrote:by typing "reboot warmreboot" or "reboot warmreboot sync"
Somewhat irritating: You're *not* doing a cold reboot, but a warm reboot.
I can see how he might have made that mistake based on the documentation:

FORMAT
REBOOT [FAST=COLDREBOOT] [WAIT=<n>] [SYNC]
TEMPLATE
FAST=WARMREBOOT/S,WAIT/N/K,SYNC/S

I don't need a truth table or a VENN diagram to know that this is a true statement based on the FORMAT and TEMPLATE given in the REBOOT documentation:
If FAST=COLDREBOOT and FAST=WARMREBOOT then COLDREBOOT=WARMREBOOT.

Probably the FORMAT definition should be something like:
REBOOT [FAST] [WAIT=<n>] [SYNC]

If you read the FORMAT definition in the original "AmigaDOS Command Reference" for OS 3.1 and look at all the commands listed in that reference you will see that the FORMAT only shows the primary keyword (FAST) and any equivalents (WARMREBOOT) are only shown in the TEMPLATE (FAST=WARMREBOOT). Default actions (COLDREBOOT) are not whown in the FORMAT or TEMPLATE but explained in the command description. A quick look at the REBOOT command with a Hex editor indicates that there is no COLDREBOOT keyword at all and that it should just be used in the description to identify the default action of REBOOT.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic

Post by xenic »

@DavidMiga
As you can see from previous posts, you seem to be confusing COLD and WARM REBOOT.

A COLDREBOOT is the same as turning on your SAM or hitting a hardware RESET button. UBOOT is reset, all the Kickstart files are loaded and AmigaDOS is booted.

A WARMREBOOT consists of rebooting AmigaDOS with the Kickstart files that were loaded when you turned on the SAM or hit a hardware RESET button.

It appears that you are doing a "WARM" reboot and having some problems. I have a similar problem when using some (most) USB hubs with update3 on my SAM Flex. The mouse/keyboard are recognized when I turn on the computer or perform a "COLD" reboot but fail to be recognized when I perform an AmigaDOS (WARM) reboot if a USB hub is used. USB hub issues with Update3 appear to be well documented in these forums. If you are not using a USB hub then I'm not sure what your problem might be but maybe another SAM 460 user can comment/help with your issues.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
seventhwonder
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by seventhwonder »

@DavidMiga

What brand keyboard / mouse are you using ?
I had similar problems with A4 Tech mouse/kbd combo.
After replacing both with Logitech kbd/mouse, problems disappeared.

Maybe your kbd/mouse is making problems with the usb stack. ?
AmigaOS4 Beta-Tester
**AmigaOne X5000 + 8GB RAM + Radeon RX 560 4GB
**Tabor A1222 + 2GB RAM + Radeon RX 550 2GB **
**Sam460 + 2GB RAM + Radeon RX 550 2GB **
DavidMiga

Post by DavidMiga »

Excuse-me but i don't speak very well english and i use google translation for help me.
I want say "warm" but google translation use the word cold for the french word "à froid".

My hardware:
first use: logitech keyboard and mouse -> most problems with them ; boths 2 in the wire

second use: Saitek keyboard -> no problem in general, only a few times ;also in wired

My Internet connection is plugged into my ethernet box.

Sam460ex-HD4650-card 3114 SATA
K-L

Post by K-L »

DavidMiga : you should then have asked on Amiga-NG forums (French language and some French Beta Testers there too).
--
AmigaONE X1000 / Radeon 2400 Pro (R610LE) / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Samm440ep/733Mhs (o/c) / Radeon M9 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
abalaban
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by abalaban »

DavidMiga wrote:Excuse-me but i don't speak very well english and i use google translation for help me.
I want say "warm" but google translation use the word cold for the french word "à froid".
And he was right: "cold reboot" *is* the translation for French "reboot à froid". You wanted to say "reboot à chaud" which translate into "warm reboot" ;-)

I don't have a Sam so I can't help you on that point. As K-L has suggested, try to log on Amiga-NG as ask Elwood (he's probably the most suited person for anything related to A-Cube's hardware).
AmigaOne X1000 running AOS 4 beta
AmigaOne XE/G4
Amiga 1200/PPC 603e + BVision PPC
DavidMiga

Post by DavidMiga »

OK i'll speak with K-L, but originaly i think the problem is on update 3.
Either it is usb2 or another running program that is the cause of my problems, I don't know! In any case it did not happen under Update2 or very rarely.
When I was in Update2 I could use my mouse usb wireless. Under Update3 I have no horizontal movement.

I take this topic on Amiga-NG
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

DavidMiga wrote: When I was in Update2 I could use my mouse usb wireless. Under Update3 I have no horizontal movement.
That is strange.

Are you using only mouse wireless?

Or, mouse & keyboard wireless?

I use a wireless mouse + keyboard by 'Digital Innovations' and have
no problems with USB on Sam440ep.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.