Sam460Ex AOS Display/Boot Problem

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Sam460Ex AOS Display/Boot Problem

Post by Hans »

@AndyGarton

It's relatively easy to find out which driver version you have. Open a console window, and enter:
version RadeonHD.chip
AndyGarton wrote:Hi guys,

I'm setting up my new Sam system, which came pre-installed with 4.1.6. I'm using a Radeon HD5450 graphics card and the "Monitors" tab of the screen mode prefs program was greyed out, so I couldn't select the "detect monitor settings" option, and hence was limited to 1024x768.
If you have no "Radeon" monitor file in DEVS:Monitors, then it defaults to using DDC to get all supported modes. So, there's no need to select the "detect monitor settings" in that case. The lite version limits the max resolution to 1024x768, so it definitely sounds like you have the lite version installed.

It's relatively easy to find out which driver version you have. Open a console window, and enter:
version RadeonHD.chip

Did you order the full version of the RadeonHD driver along with your system?

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Thanks Hans, it appears I didn't, so what I'm trying to do now is get to the point of installing AmiStore so I can buy the full driver. To do this I've removed the HD card and am using the onboard graphics through VGA. Unfortunately this either hangs in IPrefs on boot, or in Workbench as soon as I try and do anything significant, e.g. launch OWB.

I've reseated all cards and cables but am still getting this apparently random crashing. I've also tried using the onboard SATA only rather than my 2 port PCI SATA card.

ACube have advised me to wait for FE and do a clean install then. I can do that of course, but can't say I'm delighted with it as an option, especially after the long shipping and communication delays I had to put up with. The experience has been extremely different, in a bad way, to that I had with AmigaKit and the X1000. I guess you get what you pay for, but the Sam still isn't exactly cheap!
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Have you renamed the screenmode.X back to screenmode.prefs ?
If you have not then you should .
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

It creates a new one anyway on boot after I've renamed it. I'm pretty sure using the old one (created using the HD5450 remember) would be a bad idea now I'm using the onboard graphics.
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Rigo »

That sounds like you are renaming the wrong one. Each time you boot the machine, settings stored in ENVARC: are copied to ENV: as access is requested, so you need to remove/rename the one in ENVARC:

Simon
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

AndyGarton wrote:Thanks Hans, it appears I didn't, so what I'm trying to do now is get to the point of installing AmiStore so I can buy the full driver. To do this I've removed the HD card and am using the onboard graphics through VGA. Unfortunately this either hangs in IPrefs on boot, or in Workbench as soon as I try and do anything significant, e.g. launch OWB.
Why did you remove the HD card? You should be able to use both OWB and AmiStore via that card. Plus, the onboard VGA is a lot slower and doesn't support compositing, so there's no advantage to using it.

If your system is responding slowly, then open GUI prefs, go to the Effects page, and make sure that compositing effects are disabled. The lite driver doesn't include compositing, so disabling those effects will speed things up a lot.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

I removed it because ACube advised me to do that because I've only been given the old driver which doesn't support the newer cards (apparently - I don't understand how WB loaded at all if that was the case though). I'm just using it in order to be able to install AmiStore and buy/install the full/newer driver. Well, that was the plan until it started to crash and hang in the same way the HD card did.
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Rigo wrote:That sounds like you are renaming the wrong one. Each time you boot the machine, settings stored in ENVARC: are copied to ENV: as access is requested, so you need to remove/rename the one in ENVARC:

Simon
Thanks, I'll try that as I did indeed rename the wrong one.
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Ok so I've switched back to the HD card now and the version of RadeonHD.chip is 0.61. Clearly it does support the HD5450 to some degree at least.

Other problem now is that nothing prior to AOS appears on my monitor as I'd previously set UBOOT to use the onboard graphics. Is there a way I can switch that with a key combo by any chance? Reason is only that I've put my old VGA monitor back in the loft already!
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

AndyGarton wrote:Ok so I've switched back to the HD card now and the version of RadeonHD.chip is 0.61. Clearly it does support the HD5450 to some degree at least.

Other problem now is that nothing prior to AOS appears on my monitor as I'd previously set UBOOT to use the onboard graphics. Is there a way I can switch that with a key combo by any chance? Reason is only that I've put my old VGA monitor back in the loft already!
Preferences/UBoot
Set primary display to PCI (i think, don't have that Prefs program on the X)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg