SAM 440EP No sound

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: SAM 440EP No sound

Post by nbache »

You can add photos to your posts here.

It's a two-step process, where you first use the Upload attachment tab under the text entry section to upload your picture file, and then you place the uploaded file inline in your text.

Best regards,

Niels
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

Mikey_C wrote:Tony is correct, I have not got the motherboard wired to anything. I have photos of the thing, but stick them where?
If Tony says you don't need anything plugged in there, I believe him.
He seems to be a reasonably smart guy. ;)
(certainly smarter than I am)
Mikey_C

Post by Mikey_C »

Okay, thanks to Neil, I am uploading these photos...
Attachments
sam 440 EP J61 close up.jpg
sam 440 EP J61.jpg
Mikey_C

Post by Mikey_C »

375767_10202666686621693_574528251_n.jpg
Also, in addition, I am very concerned that I may have a prototype board or something, if you compare the first picture top, to the one on the Acube Site, my one has chips missing on the circuit board!
Attachments
sam440ep_image.jpg
Mikey_C

Post by Mikey_C »

What AHI Shows.

What AmigaAMP says when I try to run it (Lower image)
Attachments
ahi-prefs.jpg
amigamp.jpg
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

@Mikey_C

Try to use for MUSIC UNIT 'Unit 0: HiFi 16 bit stereo++' and then for Units 0, 1, 2, 3, the 'CS4281...' modes. Reboot system and see if it solves your audio problem.
Last edited by javierdlr on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I wouldn't be too worried that your board looks different from their picture. After all, their picture was almost certainly of a development or prototype board.
The missing "J61", though, is possibly significant. If that's what you are referring to with "chips missing", let me reassure you that it is not a "chip" but a link, usually made of a zero-ohm resistor. It could just as easily be a blob of solder. There is nothing missing from the "big" picture (it's the same on my board, they are just non-fitted connectors).

You could get someone at ANT who is handy with a soldering iron, to join the two pads with a blob of solder. Unfortunately, I can't see the underside of my Sam board to verify your observation. I'll dismantle it sometime today to take a butcher's at it.

If you have a serial terminal connected to the serial port, AHI will say something like "No CS4281 found!" during boot, if the sound chip is disabled. That would be a confirmation that there is a hardware issue, and you could then try the link.

ACube is really good at fixing this kind of issue, though. I would really suggest that you send them the picture of the missing link and ask them for advice, before taking any action with a soldering iron.

Back after I've dismantled my little Samantha.

[edit]
Yes, that J61 link is fitted on my board. Again, I suggest you contact ACube first, with the serial number of the board.
[/edit]
cheers
tony
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Just for fun, here is a picture-thingy of little Samantha, in her box. You can see the DC-DC PSU on the right (she takes 20-30 V DC input). The Molex connector at the rear feeds the TFT monitor with +16V and +5V supplies. She can run from a 24V mains adaptor or direct from 24V in the campervan.

There is a 250 GB 2½" HD mounted on the aluminium plate over the CPU board, with space for a second HD, USB CD/DVD in the roof of the box.
Attachments
Sam.jpeg
cheers
tony
Mikey_C

Post by Mikey_C »

Hi Guys, Thanks for all your help so far, I am okay with a soldering iron, I could have a crack at it myself, but really, I am not sure what the problem is exactly, I posted the J61 pics because In dialogue with ACUBE they asked me to check if the Jumper at J61 was present, as you can see, it is. However I have sent them an email regarding the jumper (with photo), about 2-3 weeks ago I think, still haven't heard anything back. Sent another email again last night, waiting to hear back.

I would like to have the board fully working rather than have to resort to using a sound card, as this will mean me having to buy a new case, soundcard etc. I may as well spend the money (if its not a huge amount) having the board fixed. But as I said, waiting to hear. (Besides I love thin-ish Mini Tower cases, its my thing)

:-)
xenic

Post by xenic »

Mikey_C wrote:I would like to have the board fully working rather than have to resort to using a sound card, as this will mean me having to buy a new case, soundcard etc. I may as well spend the money (if its not a huge amount) having the board fixed. But as I said, waiting to hear. (Besides I love thin-ish Mini Tower cases, its my thing)
:-)
Someone else needs to look at the picture of your AHI prefs that you posted. I don't think a frequency of 8000 and MONO sound are going to work. Mono sound never worked on my µA1 and my freq has always been set to 44,100.
Maybe you need to look at the prefs for you music units too. I think those need to be set right for high-level AHI soundplay to work. I could be wrong since my SAM is in the closet and I'm using an X1000 right now.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE