Connecting two hard drives

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Pseudaxos

Connecting two hard drives

Post by Pseudaxos »

LO,

Ihave a sam460ex with a sil3114 PCI_sata card. This card has 4 internal ports and two external ports. A SSD hard drive is connected on A port, the DVD burner is connected on the B port and I have connected another sata simple drive on the C port (pins updated on the card for this conf)... AmigaOS4 updt6 is installed with full update but the partitions on this drive do not appear when all is booted but if I wath for this drive in HDtoolbox, the drive is present with all the partitions I have manage to format in SFS. All units appear also in "sysmon". How could I do to see partitions on my desk ?
Thanks for your help :?:
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Connecting two hard drives

Post by tonyw »

You need to set the variable "sii3114ide_conf" in U-Boot, to describe your new configuration to OS4. With the old setting, the disk driver will not scan all the units looking for disks.

To do that, run MediaToolbox (MTB), click on "sii3114ide.device". You should now see all the units listed in the window.
Write down what is connected to each unit (0 to 3). If it's a disk, write a "1". If it's a CD-ROM, write "2". If there is nothing, write "0".
So, if you have (say) a window that looks like this:
unit 0 disk
unit 1 CD-ROM
unit 3 disk

... you would have the value "1201".

Now reboot and interrupt the boot sequence to get into U-Boot. Issue the command "printenv".
Somewhere in the list you should see the variable "sii3114ide_conf" and its current value.
You can change the value to your new setting by typing "setenv sii3114ide_conf 1201". Then save the new value by typing "saveenv".

Now you can reboot and see what happens.
cheers
tony
Pseudaxos

Post by Pseudaxos »

@tonyw
Thank you for your answer.
Finally, it was more simple to make AmigaOS4 recognize my partitions : It was just that I have to save changes to tha new disk in Hdtoolbox, but also on my SSD hd too ... :oops:
It was very simple but I never thought about it !
My problem is now solved :D
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Pseudaxos wrote:It was just that I have to save changes to tha new disk in Hdtoolbox, but also on my SSD hd too ... :oops:
Ah, the LastID flag, that old bugger ...

Best regards,

Niels
Pseudaxos

Post by Pseudaxos »

Yep'
In fact, I put a sil3114 in my sam because I had problems with disks errors and errors while burning DVDs with a sil3512. This card is supported by AmigaOS4 but I only can tell you that after many tests, it's not a good idea to by this last sil one... 3114 is better and no surprises / no errors even with big partitions...