Sound Problems on New AmigaOne 500 [See ACube for fix]

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.

Re: Sound Problems on New AmigaOne 500

Postby Aslak3 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:37 pm

ssolie wrote:
Aslak3 wrote:I've personally come the conclusion that this is a hardware problem, not fixable in software...

I disagree with that conclusion.

The audio driver on the Sam460ex is primarily software and I have seen the effort the developer had to go through to get any sound out of that thing. It is *not* easy by any stretch.


My reason for thinking it's a hardware flaw is not entirely based on gut feelings.

1. People who have owned a SAM460 for a long time seem to have no issues with sound. The latest driver on os4depot.net fixed all their remaining issues.
2. People who have bought a SAM460 in the last six or so months or so all seem to have the same symptoms when running the latest driver (crackles) or the driver before that one (slow sound).
3. Acube offered to fix Everblue's sound problems, after Max could not get a working driver made, with a "hardware fix".
4. Acube's inability to get working sound this long after the problems were reported makes me think that they themselves know it's a hardware problem.

My theory is that some change happened in the SM502 chip which Acube didn't know about. It's the only explanation into why some people's machines work and some do not - all SAM460 are *not* the same. This, to me, is undeniable.

Anyway, if I was a betting man I'd put money on the SAM460 in my machine never having working sound out of the SM502. It is slightly gawling that Acube/AmigaKit/etc are selling SAM460s without working sound. It is pretty much impossible to recommend anyone buy a SAM460 for this reason. The fact that the driver is hard to write doesn't really matter. They should be selling the machines with a working sound cad, or say it does not have useable sound output.

None of this would matter a great deal if a PCI or PCI-E card can be found that works. I've taken out the PCI SATA card from my SAM460 and would probably have working sound now if the SAM460's PCI slot took 5V cards as I have an unused SB 128 (5V only) in my parts drawer.
User avatar
Aslak3
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Re: Sound Problems on New AmigaOne 500

Postby ssolie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:20 pm

Aslak3 wrote:My reason for thinking it's a hardware flaw is not entirely based on gut feelings...

I think it would be wise to get direct factual information from ACube on this matter instead of engaging in any speculation.

I'm also sourcing an ESI Juli@ card so I can try it in my AmigaOne 500.
Seatec Astronomy
User avatar
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Sound Problems on New AmigaOne 500

Postby Spectre660 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:11 am

I am keeping an eye open for one of these as an option .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829186004


Aslak3 wrote:None of this would matter a great deal if a PCI or PCI-E card can be found that works. I've taken out the PCI SATA card from my SAM460 and would probably have working sound now if the SAM460's PCI slot took 5V cards as I have an unused SB 128 (5V only) in my parts drawer.
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: Sound Problems on New AmigaOne 500

Postby klapdeur » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:15 pm

ssolie wrote:
Aslak3 wrote:My reason for thinking it's a hardware flaw is not entirely based on gut feelings...

I think it would be wise to get direct factual information from ACube on this matter instead of engaging in any speculation.

I'm also sourcing an ESI Juli@ card so I can try it in my AmigaOne 500.


is this the pci-e version or the pci @juli card you talking about?

im wondering if someone can test the pci-e version on a sam460 board
klapdeur
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Re: Sound Problems on New AmigaOne 500

Postby Spectre660 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:36 pm

The model that he mentioned in his first post refering to the card is an ESI Juli@ XTe .This is the pcie version.


klapdeur wrote:
ssolie wrote:
Aslak3 wrote:My reason for thinking it's a hardware flaw is not entirely based on gut feelings...

I think it would be wise to get direct factual information from ACube on this matter instead of engaging in any speculation.

I'm also sourcing an ESI Juli@ card so I can try it in my AmigaOne 500.


is this the pci-e version or the pci @juli card you talking about?

im wondering if someone can test the pci-e version on a sam460 board
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: Sound Problems on New AmigaOne 500

Postby klapdeur » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:04 pm

oke now does it work on a amigaone 500??
klapdeur
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Re: Sound Problems on New AmigaOne 500

Postby Spectre660 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:32 am

It would appear that no Amigaone 500 owner on this Board,including SSolie, has one yet.

klapdeur wrote:oke now does it work on a amigaone 500??
Spectre660
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: Sound Problems on New AmigaOne 500

Postby ssolie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:48 pm

lozspd4 wrote:Any Help will be most Welcome to get the Problem Sorted.

Here is the link to the news posting at ACube:
http://acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=news&id=115
Seatec Astronomy
User avatar
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Sound Problems on New AmigaOne 500

Postby Spectre660 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:36 pm

Spectre660
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: Sound Problems on New AmigaOne 500 [See ACube for fix]

Postby Berny » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:42 pm

I made it, and the Sound is very good. No timing problem. No cracking. Thanks to A-Cube!

Sorry for my bad english. :oops:

Ich habe die Brücke gelötet und siehe da, alles bestens. Sound kommt ohne krachen und das Timing stimmt auch.
Benutze jetzt den aktuellen Treiber! Danke an A-Cube!
:mrgreen:
Berny
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:47 pm
Location: Germany - NRW - Jülich

PreviousNext

Return to Platform: AmigaOne 500 and Sam series

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron