AOS 4.1 FE bug - the shell crashes when iconified

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
saimo

Re: AOS 4.1 FE bug - the shell crashes when iconified

Post by saimo »

tonyw wrote:There are several suitable "def_xxx" icons in ENVARC:Sys/, not including "def_shell" which the console was also looking for. There are "def_iconify" and "def_kingcon" (shudder). I can test to see if one of these is present,
I did have def_iconify.info, and the shell still crashed (reported since the beginning, as I immediately thought the problem was the missing icon - but it took me a while to think about SYS:System/Shell, as that's something I've never used in my life).
but there is still the possibility that none is present - what then?

Currently trying to find out what I have to do to store a default icon within the code...
Isn't it there an API call to get default icons (just wondering)? If yes, it could suffice to request the default tool icon.
BZ #9109.
Thanks.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

The Shell icon is supplied in SYS:System, so I don't understand why it wasn't there in your installation (or, alternatively, why you would have deleted it). It contains all the custom settings for opening the window.

Even using a default icon like ENVARC:Sys/def_iconify.info, we will still run into the same problem if it isn't there (because someone has deleted it, for instance). The only way to prevent the icon.library falling over is to make sure that we have something to pass to it. Without an icon, we could iconify the console but we could never recover it.
cheers
tony
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

tonyw wrote:...Without an icon, we could iconify the console but we could never recover it.
Did anyone else hear the theme music to "The Twilight Zone" when they read that? :o
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

LyleHaze wrote:
tonyw wrote:...Without an icon, we could iconify the console but we could never recover it.
Did anyone else hear the theme music to "The Twilight Zone" when they read that? :o
Probably an "Eagles" fan who did the coding on this one...

Hotel California
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you just can never leave!'
;-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
saimo

Post by saimo »

tonyw wrote:The Shell icon is supplied in SYS:System, so I don't understand why it wasn't there in your installation (or, alternatively, why you would have deleted it). It contains all the custom settings for opening the window.
That's simply because I had deleted it (together with the associated CLI command - BTW, I wonder which twist of evolution brought CLI and Shell.info to be separated&connected like that). The reason is explained in my previous post: "... SYS:System/Shell, as that's something I've never used in my life".
Even using a default icon like ENVARC:Sys/def_iconify.info, we will still run into the same problem if it isn't there (because someone has deleted it, for instance). The only way to prevent the icon.library falling over is to make sure that we have something to pass to it. Without an icon, we could iconify the console but we could never recover it.
Absolutely. I was not even remotely suggesting there should not be a fallback solution - actually I suggested the opposite ("Isn't it there an API call to get default icons (just wondering)? If yes, it could suffice to request the default tool icon" from my previous post) ;)

Additionally, I think there's another thingie that needs clarifying and that seemed to have passed unobserved. At some point you said:
There are several suitable "def_xxx" icons in ENVARC:Sys/, not including "def_shell" which the console was also looking for. There are "def_iconify" and "def_kingcon" (shudder). I can test to see if one of these is present,
and I replied:
I did have def_iconify.info, and the shell still crashed
The point here is that despite the fact the shell looks for alternative icons when SYS:System/Shell.info is not available, it still crashes even if ENVARC:Sys/def_iconify.info is there. Note: def_shell.info instead works (and personally I find it even a better solution: neater and free from the snapshotting problem, as mentioned earlier); I haven't made a test with def_kingcon.info.
Of course, this will be solved automatically once the list of alternatives is replaced by a single general solution.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

saimo wrote:
tonyw wrote:There are several suitable "def_xxx" icons in ENVARC:Sys/, not including "def_shell" which the console was also looking for. There are "def_iconify" and "def_kingcon" (shudder). I can test to see if one of these is present,
The point here is that despite the fact the shell looks for alternative icons when SYS:System/Shell.info is not available, it still crashes even if ENVARC:Sys/def_iconify.info is there. Note: def_shell.info instead works
I think you are misunderstanding Tony (unless I am, of course). The console currently looks for def_shell in addition to SYS:System/Shell.info. It could theoretically also be enhanced to look for def_iconify and def_kingcon, or arbitrary others. But even then, all of those might be missing, so something else needs to be the last resort.

Best regards,

Niels
saimo

Post by saimo »

@nbache
nbache wrote:
saimo wrote:
The point here is that despite the fact the shell looks for alternative icons when SYS:System/Shell.info is not available, it still crashes even if ENVARC:Sys/def_iconify.info is there. Note: def_shell.info instead works
I think you are misunderstanding Tony (unless I am, of course). The console currently looks for def_shell in addition to SYS:System/Shell.info. It could theoretically also be enhanced to look for def_iconify and def_kingcon, or arbitrary others
I think you're right (although the part starting from "test" still puzzles me). Thanks!

@tonyw

Sorry for the misunderstanding.