AOS 4.1 FE bug - the shell crashes when iconified

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
saimo

Re: AOS 4.1 FE bug - the shell crashes when iconified

Post by saimo »

Another test: with KingCON iconifying works fine.
saimo

Post by saimo »

Problem found: missing SYS:System/Shell.info.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Thanks for finding that. Now I'll have to find out whose fault it is if the chain crashes when the icon is missing.
cheers
tony
saimo

Post by saimo »

You're welcome.

My wild and OS-ignorant guess goes like this...
Since Snoopy reports no attempt at opening the icon when iconification is requested, it looks like the icon is pre-loaded at initialization; such pre-loading is (rightfully) fault-tolerant, but then, when the moment of iconifying comes, a wrong (NULL?) reference is passed to icon.library, which crashes. Or something vaguely along those lines :D
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Looking at the console code (pretty old now), I can see that your insight is exactly right. It tries to GetDiskObject("ENVARC:Sys/def_Shell") first, then, if that doesn't work, it tries to GetDiskObject ("SYS:System/Shell").

Whatever it gets (or doesn't) is passed to workbench.library as the icon to use to build the AppIcon when iconifying.

I'll have to take advice on this problem.
cheers
tony
saimo

Post by saimo »

tonyw wrote:Looking at the console code (pretty old now), I can see that your insight is exactly right. It tries to GetDiskObject("ENVARC:Sys/def_Shell") first, then, if that doesn't work, it tries to GetDiskObject ("SYS:System/Shell").
Ah, good to know! I'll move the icon from SYS:System/ to ENVARC:Sys/, so that I can be unsnapshot, and thus have the icon located at the first free "slot" on the Workbench. Thanks.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

tonyw wrote:Looking at the console code (pretty old now), I can see that your insight is exactly right. It tries to GetDiskObject("ENVARC:Sys/def_Shell") first, then, if that doesn't work, it tries to GetDiskObject ("SYS:System/Shell").

Whatever it gets (or doesn't) is passed to workbench.library as the icon to use to build the AppIcon when iconifying.

I'll have to take advice on this problem.
I think I have seen some programs default to a (very ugly) old, 1.3 style icon for iconification sometimes. Is there maybe such a thing defined internally somewhere (icon.library? workbench.library? or wherever) which could be used as a last resort?

Just a thought.

Best regards,

Niels
saimo

Post by saimo »

nbache wrote:I think I have seen some programs default to a (very ugly) old, 1.3 style icon for iconification sometimes. Is there maybe such a thing defined internally somewhere (icon.library? workbench.library? or wherever) which could be used as a last resort?
Definitely. Make (some of) the ENVARC:Sys/def_#?.info icons unaccessible and you'll get old-style (3.0?) icons:

tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

There are several suitable "def_xxx" icons in ENVARC:Sys/, not including "def_shell" which the console was also looking for. There are "def_iconify" and "def_kingcon" (shudder). I can test to see if one of these is present, but there is still the possibility that none is present - what then?

Currently trying to find out what I have to do to store a default icon within the code...

BZ #9109.
cheers
tony
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

tonyw wrote:There are several suitable "def_xxx" icons in ENVARC:Sys/, not including "def_shell" which the console was also looking for. There are "def_iconify" and "def_kingcon" (shudder). I can test to see if one of these is present, but there is still the possibility that none is present - what then?
I agree. The solution is not to "buy more lottery tickets", but to establish a failsafe last resort.

Which is what
Currently trying to find out what I have to do to store a default icon within the code...
- will achieve.

Best regards,

Niels