OS4.1FE did not start.

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
nzv58l

Re: OS4.1FE did not start.

Post by nzv58l »

RussellB wrote:My setup:

AmigaOne XE 800mhz G4
1GB Ram
Radeon 9250 AGP card
Soundblaster Live
SII0680 IDE card
RTL8139 Network card

I had no problems at all setting up 4.1 FE on my system on a clean hard drive with a SWAP partition on my hard drive but if I use the SWAP partition for example copying more the 1GB into ram disk it will cause my system to lock up.
Thank you for the reply! I don't know if this is good or bad news for me. Now that I know yours works, I am very curious about why mine does not. Mine is also the 800mhz G4, but I only have 512 Mb Ram. I do have two 1 GB Ram, but the Ram I have is not on the known to work list so while I am having this issue I am using the more sure 512 GB of Ram. I do not have a Network card, but other than that it looks Identical to yours. My board is stock, as it came from the factory. I have not fixed the DMA or the USB. I am using UBOOT 1.1.1 and I have tried creating a SWAP partition and running without one. Both do not let me boot past the splash screen.

I know that there is better memory managment with OS 4.1 than there is with OS 4.0. I really feel like I am poking in the dark, because I do not know how exactly memory is used in OS 4.1 as compared to OS 4.0. I wonder if my Ram could be the culpret as OS 4.0 may let things slide through that OS 4.1 doesn't. However, it seems strange that the CD will boot into OS 4.1 without issue as well. The only difference here would be that I do not think the CD has any way of using SWAP and for OS 4.0 I know it does not exist. Again though, I am only guessing how things work at that level. What makes it really stange is that it will let me boot one time after adding or removing the SWAP partition(I also tried just recreating it, but it still did not work).

I am at least glad that it is not everyone with an AmigaOne XE that has the issue. I just wish my AmigaOne XE was less unique.

Perhaps I will try different Ram, just for another poke a it, but I think I really need an expert that knows the code and understands how memory works in OS 4.1, OS4.0 and on the OS 4.1FE cd in detail to figure this out.
RussellB

Post by RussellB »

If you would like to test your memory you could try

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... tester.lzx

and it is best to only use only one memory module as using two can cause memory corruption unless you are really lucky to find two modules which will work together.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Did you try without that soundblaster in? Soundblasters (except the really old ones that use the sb128 driver) are known to be buggy.

What if you create two partitions? A classic workbench: and work: setup?
nzv58l

Post by nzv58l »

[quote="RussellB"]If you would like to test your memory you could try

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... tester.lzx

Thank you, I have been doing a bit of reading and it seems that there are issues with memory for the A1 xe. The memory I am currently using seems to have two different labels on it. One from Dane-elec DP133-333-512. The other label has a M with a ring around it MT18LSDT6472G-10EC2 PC100-222-622R, the second label also says it is 512MB. SYNCH, 100MHz, CL2, ECC. I am now wondering if this is supposed to be a 100MHz memory stick relabeled by Dane-elec as a 133? It is the memory I have been using for years under OS 4.0. I also have a 1GB memory stick S2872R33MJ SDRAM PC133 ECC REG that I have two sticks, but this memory may not be compatible for an A1.

I am going to try and lower the buss speed down to 100 MHz to see if it makes a differnce. I am curious if OS 4.1 FE on the HD does something different with memory than OS 4.0 and the CD do not do like some sort of stability check that may be failing under OS 4.1, but the CD boot and OS 4.0 is much more lenient on and perhaps it does not do when there is a change in the SWAP volume? Either that or my computer is just possesed by an evil spirit of an ex-C= employee that was forced to work for Atari when C= canned them.

I am currently looking for some memory that is known to work good with the A1 xe, but I think lowering the buss speed should be enough to make it work if it is a memory problem.

I just tried the 100 MHz front side buss and no dice! Same thing. I tried it with both types of memory stick. The 512 stick came from Eyetech, but intuition base does not list it at all. Also, something unique about my amigaone is that it looks like it has the sound chip. I heard the early ones had that, but it was removed later because they did not know that there was some flag that needed to be set for it to work. So they just removed it from later versions.
nzv58l

Post by nzv58l »

broadblues wrote:Did you try without that soundblaster in? Soundblasters (except the really old ones that use the sb128 driver) are known to be buggy.

What if you create two partitions? A classic workbench: and work: setup?
I tried it with the SB installed and with it uninstalled, but did not seem to make a difference.

I am not sure what you mean by two partitions. On the Amiga I usually have a Workbench: for my OS and then a larger area i call Playbench: for all my apps. I just thought only having one partition would make it a simpler configuration to help find the problem. I definitly would like more than one partition, as well as a swap volume, but I need to figure this out first.

I am really curious to find out why creating/or deleting a SWAP volume would allow it to boot for only one time, that is if I ever find out.
RussellB

Post by RussellB »

I use a

1GB MICRON MT36LSDF12872G-133C1 PC133R PC133 CL3 ECC SDRAM SERVER MEMORY

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171620450837

which I luckily picked up on ebay cheap and it runs very stable for me but somebody else who has tried the same memory had problems with it but it might of not of been the memory causing the problem and something else. Getting a XE to run fully stable is a matter of luck to get all the different parts to work in harmony with each other.
nzv58l

Post by nzv58l »

Ran the memtester program on the 512 memory stick, and it took awhile, but passed all the tests. I am not really surprised, because I have been running with this memory since day one without any problems. I also tried disableing all my onboard USB interfaces and it did not make any difference.

OS 4.1FE will not run on my hardware. I did order some new memory, but it looks like I am stuck running OS 4.0 FE and that is it. I probably will not be able to upgrade to OS 4.2 when it comes out either.

Thanks for trying everyone, but there is a point when I feel like I am beating a dead horse and I can not think of anything else to try.
nzv58l

Post by nzv58l »

Still looking at pinpointing the exact problem. However, with some help I found out that commenting out the a1floppy...device in the kicklayout lets me boot.

For me it is not a big deal as the floppy is almost usless in my opinion. I am still looking for more details on what actually happens as I think it is still an issue. I am curious why not many other people have had this issue. I even unpluged the floppy drive completly and still had the same issue. When I have more time I am going to reset everything and start over without the floppy attached to see if it does the same thing. I also have a few diagnostics to run that may help pinpoint the issue.

At this point, I would like to thank everyone for all their help and I will have to see if there is anything else I can break.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

It could be as easy as having a broken floppy controller
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nzv58l

Post by nzv58l »

Raziel wrote:It could be as easy as having a broken floppy controller
Good point!

So another question would be, does anyone have a working floppy under OS 4.1 final edition?

Or... can anyone try a test to see if it happens on their AmigaOne XE machine?

On an AmigaOne xe...
Add a floppy to the connector
Reset the battery with the a1 unplugged
connect a spare HD as their primary
initialize the hd
install os 4.1 fe
boot from hd

For me, loosing the floppy is not a big issue. If it was capable of reading Amiga 880k floppies then it would be worth something. I just worry that if someone with less patience trys to install and has the same experience, they might just give up and throw it to the curb. Even if it was a broken floppy controller, I think the OS should be a little more lenient and it should not prevent you from booting. OS 4.0 is not prevented from booting in this situation. I still say it has something to do with the os looking for the SWAP volume weather it is there or not.