AmigaOS Classic 4.1 Update2 fails to install [SOLVED]

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: AmigaOS Classic 4.1 Update2 fails to install

Post by Calgor »

Well I can say that my Deneb is happily working beautifully in OS4.1 with USB mouse, keyboard and USB2 stick. USB adds so much more convenience to using the Classic.

I followed the instructions on DarrenHD's website exactly, including selecting to have everything in the Poseidon installer to be available on startup.

Did you confirm that your firmware version after upgrade is V11 by looking at the serial number for autoonfig $3643/16 board under Scout? (should end in 0a0a or similar - which designates V10 but that's what mine is after upgrading to V11 which should be 0b).

A simple mouse or keyboard is probably better to test with than a USB stick. My optical USB mouse lights up at the exact moment it is registered, so it is a good indicator that the computer is accessing it with its USB drivers. I did have a problem (it failed to boot properly) once when rebooting with my usb stick still inserted, so keep that in mind.

Also if denebpiousb.device is not working for you, you should be able to set Deneb jumper to Zorro2 mode and use denebz2usb.device instead - that will get rid of any Zorro3 problems. You said you tried Zorro2 mode before but not sure if you also tried the matching device file in Trident.

Do all your screenshots for Trident look exactly as in DarrenHD's guide for their settings? If not, what is different?

You could also try it without the ZorRAM. That is just as likely to be a culprit as the Mediator. Mine is one of the earlier 256MB versions with a bug (that is not present in A4000T).

Just to recap:
- It works perfectly for you with no rom modules installed? - If this is the case you can still use USB devices within OS4, just not before it boots up? I think you need to get this working first if it's not before looking at the ROM Modules.
- As soon as you install any ROM Modules it doesn't boot properly (please describe exactly what happens)

Footnote: OS4.x is so much easier to reinstall than OS3.x due to the smaller number of steps involved. You just need to first make sure your hardware is compatible by looking at the hardware compatibility list mentioned before. What is missing is a consolidated guide for getting every single piece of hardware on the compatibility list working. For example for the Mediator I believe it is in the manual (although less detail than this thread), for the Deneb it is on DarrenHD's website.

UPDATE: The problem I mentioned that may be with the USB stick instead seems to be with a Soft Reset (Ctrl-A-A). Cold boot and Hard Reset (Ctrl-Alt-Alt) work fine, but Soft Reset does not work - computer does not boot again and need to hit the computer case Reset button. Having no ROM Modules loaded does not change this behaviour. Maybe you have run across this problem which is why you think it may not be working? I need to look into this, hopefully someone else with Deneb can say something otherwise it might be specific to my hardware setup. (UPDATE2: This was working properly before - I have tracked it down due to PsdLoadModule of input.device in Startup-Sequence, so it may be safer not to load this module there or in FlashROM. Plus you have added advantage that Ctrl-A-A but not Ctrl-Alt-Alt now works with USB keyboard after a 5 second delay. Disadvantages are those listed in readmes, but keyboard key repeat didn't seem to work anyway).

Extra note: If you set the Bootloader options to "Permanently install at first boot" (opposite to the instructions) then (with my hardware setup) OS4 will not boot at all. To fix it up once you have done this, you need to boot into OS3.9 and use Luciferin from there to set the Bootloader to "Re-install on every boot". Note that the current setting of the Bootloader that is displayed in Luciferin GUI may not be correct (if you switch in OS4.1, the GUI in OS3.9 does not update and vice-versa), but it will be correct within said OS after you "Upload" to the Deneb.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Hi all!

I gutted Ami again to try a theory: Would Ami boot with Deneb in ROM MODE & Zorro 2 mode (yes, that means 2 jumpers on Mr. Deneb)? And the answer is YES!

There was something well known about the Deneb flash conflicting with OS 4.1 boot (that is why only the RST & ROM modes worked), but the Z2 only kind-of-makes-sense if there was an address conflict. Now why in my setup and not others? That is a completely different question. Now to go from here...

You guys take care and I hope this thread helps out another lost soul.

-Dan
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

Dan, as you are changing your config all the time, you need to post your showconfig output in OS4 where the deneb is working in zorro2 mode so we can predict if there may be a memory address conflict of some sort if you were to flick it to zorro3 mode in the same position. Or if it works you could post your showconfig and pciinfo from OS3.9 with the Deneb in Zorro3 mode. That will rule out whether there is a memory address space issue. EDIT: Actually, post from within both OS4 and OS3.9 as they may perform autoconfig slightly differently - but not to my knowledge so far apart from Mediator with Radeon 256MB card.

Also did you update the Deneb flashrom as I suggested to set update on every reboot and to remove input.device from the flashrom as well as the OS4.1 startup-sequence?
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Dear Calgor:

Ami was taken down piece-by-piece, and I am slowly getting her back together; Trident sees my USB thumb drive, but I have to re-install Fat95, and reboot, etc....

I don't believe I need the (V50.0) input.device used by Poseidon when I'm in OS4.1, it has Version 50.26; I just use PsdStackLoader.

--------------------------------------OS 4.1 U4 ----------------------------------------------------
PROCESSOR: 604e

EMULATED: CPU 68020/68881fpu

CUSTOM CHIPS: AA NTSC Alice (id=$0033), AA Lisa (id=$00F8)

VERSION: Kickstart version 53.25, Exec version 53.25, Disk version 53.8

LEGACY RAM: Node type $A, Attributes $703 (CHIP), at $3000-$1FFFFF (~2.0 meg)

ZORRO BOARDS:
Board (ELBOX): Prod=2206/161($89E/$A1)
(@$40000000, size 512meg, subsize same)

Board (ELBOX): Prod=2206/33($89E/$21)
(@$60000000, size 16meg, subsize same)

RAM (E3B, Michael Boehmer): Prod=3643/32($E3B/$20)
(@$70000000, size 256meg, subsize autosized Mem)

Board (E3B, Michael Boehmer): Prod=3643/18($E3B/$12) (@$E90000 64K)

Board (E3B, Michael Boehmer): Prod=3643/19($E3B/$13) (@$EA0000 64K)

PCI BOARDS:
Bus Device Funct. Manuf. Product Status
0x00 0x00 0x00 0x1274 0x5880 working
0x00 0x01 0x00 0x1002 0x5C63 working
0x00 0x02 0x00 0x1033 0x0035 working
0x00 0x02 0x01 0x1033 0x0035 working
0x00 0x02 0x02 0x1033 0x00E0 working
0x00 0x03 0x00 0x10EC 0x8139 working

----------------------------- OS 3.9 U-BB4 -----------------------------------------------------------
PROCESSOR: CPU 68060/68060fpu/68060mmu

CUSTOM CHIPS: AA NTSC Alice (id=$0033), AA Lisa (id=$00F8)

VERS: Kickstart version 45.57, Exec version 45.20, Disk version 45.5

RAM: Node type $A, Attributes $505 (FAST), at $8000000-$FF7FFFF (127.5 meg)
Node type $A, Attributes $505 (FAST), at $7000000-$7FFFFFF (16.0 meg)
Node type $A, Attributes $405 (FAST), at $70000000-$77FFFFFF (128.0 meg)
Node type $A, Attributes $2005 (FAST), at $42000000-$4FEFFFFF (223.0 meg)
Node type $A, Attributes $703 (CHIP), at $4000-$1FFFFF (~2.0 meg)

BOARDS:
Board (Index Information Ltd): Prod=2206/161($89E/$A1)
(@$40000000, size 512meg, subsize same)

Board (Index Information Ltd): Prod=2206/33($89E/$21)
(@$60000000, size 16meg, subsize same)

RAM (unidentified): Prod=3643/32($E3B/$20)
(@$70000000, size 256meg, subsize autosized Mem)

Board (unidentified): Prod=3643/18($E3B/$12) (@$E90000 64K)

Board (unidentified): Prod=3643/19($E3B/$13) (@$EA0000 64K)

Board + ROM (HD?) (phase 5): Prod=8512/100($2140/$64) (@$F01060 128K)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am running some tests with the Deneb, and will get back with you shortly.

-Dan
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Dear Calgor,

Sorry I could not make sense out of the Scout information -- I saw nothing like what you reported); maybe because the Deneb was in Z2 mode(?) or I was not into hex mode. I went back, re-downloaded Version 11 of the Deneb Firmware flash, opened to a basic 3.1 OS workbench and re-flashed the Deneb. Same as the time before when I flashed Deneb with V11, the TEST and UPDATE went fine without issues. I re-installed the Deneb in normal mode (I re-erased the Deneb ROM twice to be absolutely sure), and booted up with the ZorRam left out of the system. No boot issues in either OS 3.9 nor 4.1. This time (obviously) the denebZ2usb.device did not work in either OS; in fact neither did denebPIOusb.device (which had worked under OS 4.1 without the Mediator) nor did it work under OS 3.9 (where it had also worked fine). To be complete in the testing I went ahead and tried denebDMAusb.device [this had never worked previously]. Under OS 3.9 it worked(?). I then booted to OS 4.1, took it online with Trident and, Kazam!, it worked as well. Weird; the flash had gone unremarkably the same both times; I reinstalled the ZorRam above (closest to a video slot) and below (closest to the Mediator Bridge card) the Deneb card and rebooted both OS's. OS 3.9 did not seem to care one bit, but OS 4.1 only booted normally with the ZorRam above the Deneb. Yes, I need a tutorial on Amiga hardware addresses and such.

Oddly, the Deneb under 4.1 did not seem to like my 2Gb USB stick and went into a cycle of recognizing it, then not recognizing it; this went on ad nauseam until I pulled the stick. The Hid device (wireless mouse), the USB Ethernet dongle (Asixusb.class), and the USB printer were recognized and acted normally; don't know if it was that individual stick or not; it had previously worked fine, and continued to act normally under 3.9.

At present, Ami is still gutted, open on a table and awaiting a RTL8029AS PCI device this coming week (in an attempt to test another aspect of care and upbringing of baby Amiga's).

-Dan
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

Not sure what is going on there if denebpiousb.device is not recognised (you might want to CRC check the file) and yet denebdma is? Not clear to me from your comments which deneb usb device file you have booted in OS4.1 with - Hyperion doco states DMA mode is not supported in OS4.1 (I didn't try myself but I presume if it looked like it worked, they must have said it is not supported for a reason, and may have unknown consequences when you least expect it).

I thought OS3.9 and OS4.1 both only supported Z3PIO (and by extension Z2) modes with the A4000T, and the Z3DMA mode would not work properly - whether that means it works until it locks up or does not work at all I'm not sure, but I am guessing the former.
alekc

Post by alekc »

Hi danbeaver,
Any progress on your front?
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Hi there!

Funny you should ask: I received my RTL8029AS NIC card yesterday and it works fine (after some "tweaking") under OS 4.1 and RoadShow. However, in OS 3.9 It allows me to see my LAN using Miami_DX and AmiTCP 3.? but not the internet; bummer. I'm working on this issue.

I traced down the flaky USB thumb drive to (of course) DMA issues under OS 4.1 and returned it safely to a working Z2 mode. It DMA's nicely under 3.9 and under 4.1 [except for the weird ON-OFF-ON thing it had with the Thumb drive.] Please don't ask me for an explanation as I don't have one. It shouldn't have worked at all. I use the Deneb only while in OS 4.1, and the quick and reliable "spider device" under 3.9 (both co-bed well). To be honest I use a cloned NEC USB "spider" card I bought for $15 and 3.21 spider.device; however I did pay the ~$93 + $39 shipping for a true-blue Elbox NEC spider card with device version 3.22; I like to pay back the folks who took their time for use developing the card (BUT $39 for shipping that took over 2 weeks, please...). I would like to point out that Elbox provides NO support for this high cost, just unanswered emails. Not wanting to shred my hard drive, I left the REAL spider in the box with its special 3.22 device driver.

Ami is back together on the floor under my desk churning away in both 3.9 and 4.1 operating systems; I fooled OS 3.9 into accepting my Radeon at 1920X1080 (native) format of my LCD, but the fonts are tiny, CRISP, but tiny. I would be happier to know why OS 4.1 will not "see" the CF (SCSI) card reader I bought from A4000T.com beyond just recognizing it in the Media Toolbox. When I last emailed Mech, he was doing his taxes so I thought I would wait until after April 15th since that stuff is always rough; God love the IRS for inventing WNM, a Whole New Math! I understand tax code less than ADA and networking.

As a new trial of my will, I ordered a new Mediator for my sparkly, new-in-the-box A4000T (with Radeon and other stuff) when the inevitable occurs and another working update made for old hardware goes into the "end of production run" as have so many of the recently current items (like Deneb, good commercial software, and others). I know none of these products made anybody rich, but how hard is it to continue to collect money and send out product registration keys? Sorry for the morbid thoughts.

Oh, SFS may be fast, but it can be a huge pain in the rear.

-Dan
Last edited by danbeaver on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

@ danbeaver

Sounds like you have everything working as it should be, except the Deneb not working in Z3PIO mode.

You said you have version 50.26 of input.device when in OS4.1 - this is the Poseidon version!!! It may be the reason Deneb is not working in Z3PIO mode - it does not work for me. I had mentioned that you need to remove the line that loads it in the OS4.1 startup-sequence (PsdLoadModule), and also remove it from the flashrom.

When you have performed that correctly, in OS4.1 you should see version 53.3 of input.device with OS4.1 Update 4.

OS3.9 will still load it despite not being in the flashrom via the PsdLoadModule command in the startup-sequence (so at least there you can still have its benefits). You can also check if it is loaded or not as with the Poseidon version of the library, the USB keyboard can repeat characters on key press.

Almost sure this will work, as then your setup will be even closer to mine.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Dear Calgor,

Yes, you I correct. I was reading the version of the input.device in the DEVS: directory, which must have been placed there by Poseidon; the memory resident input.device is indeed version 53.3. I used ARTM to check this.

It appears however that the conundrum still exists, with the correct versions of input.device in place, I can use only Z3DMA or (jumper forced) Z2 modes in both OS 3.9 and 4.1. When I try to "bring the Deneb "Online" in standard Z3 PIO mode it fails, but works in the two other modes. This is with a completely empty flash ROM; playing around there causes instability problems. I prefer stability over the "isn't it neat to have USB support in the pre-boot menu" thought. I spent a few weeks playing with that, and I'm content to leave it be. The Deneb is a miraculous device, I just wish they were still in production.

On the keyboard issue, I use an original IBM AT keyboard on my PC (recycledgoods.com) and the original A4000 key board on my Amiga; the "feel" and response of these keyboards suits me better. I have a wired optical and a USB wireless mouse on the Amiga, again for the comfort and "feel" of each. On my PC I have a big heavy (expensive) Microsoft wireless mouse because it feels "right."

Lastly, rather than use PsdLoadModule in OS 3.9, I just include the input device in the regular LoadModule command; between it and the LoadResident commands I can get some interesting stuff going on.

-Dan