AmigaOS Classic 4.1 Update2 fails to install [SOLVED]

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: AmigaOS Classic 4.1 Update2 fails to install

Post by Calgor »

Can't I use my OS3.9 Deneb install files for OS4.1? When one upgrades from OSx.x to OSx.x, I would hate to have to open up the case to set the jumper just to install the Deneb everytime I need to install the operating system from scratch.

It would just be the device drivers that would be needed. I think Poseidon and the Flash software can be installed separately from downloads if required - but as I have not done that before...

Looking into this one.... hopefully tomorrow I will have an answer.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Absolutely!

In fact, Deneb has in firmware the install of Poseidon V4.2 when V4.4 is the most current. Keep in mind to "blacklist" Luciferin in Compatibility and set Poseidon to No Popup. There is an Install page out on the web for Deneb under 4.1 Classic ~
http://www.hd-zone.com/2011/06/optimizi ... 1-classic/

-Dan
alekc

Post by alekc »

Actually it is possible (while not recommended) to install Amiga OS 4.1 (up to U4) with Deneb enabled assuming you have clean flash rom.
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

danbeaver wrote:Absolutely!

In fact, Deneb has in firmware the install of Poseidon V4.2 when V4.4 is the most current. Keep in mind to "blacklist" Luciferin in Compatibility and set Poseidon to No Popup. There is an Install page out on the web for Deneb under 4.1 Classic ~
http://www.hd-zone.com/2011/06/optimizi ... 1-classic/

-Dan
Silly question, have you updated the Deneb firmware?
http://www.e3b.de/usb/main_updates_e.html

V11 has a workaround for mediator issues.
"Buster 11 DMA fix, enables stable DMA operation with Zorro III RAM.
All new clockport support.
Mediator workaround, fixes DMA problems."
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Thanks for the help folks!

I'm sorry this thread has gotten so long and hard to follow; it started as an inability to get the Classic OS 4.1 Update 2 CD to do an install on my A4000T because of Mediator hardware issues; it then evolved into what hardware was and, mostly, was not supported in OS 4.1 Classic (despite what others had written). Beyond the Graphics card (Radeon 9200 + 256MB) and Audio card (std SB128) the AmigaKit RTL8139 Ethernet card and the Spider 2 USB card were not supported. This lead to installing my sole X-surf card (which took a hard to search out modified driver) for Web & intranet access. Finally, I retried mt FastATA 4000 Card (No Boot) and Deneb. The Deneb works fine without the Mediator, but Ami [OS 4.1 Classic] plus Mediator won't boot if Deneb is in any other mode than RST & ROM; and in ROM the Deneb is not recognized by Poseidon 4.4. The Deneb Firmware was upgraded 3 months ago to V11 when I started this madness. I can re-flash the Deneb, again and see what happens.

The Deneb gave me options of dongles for sound and internet, but under OS 3.9 (where all of my productivity software works), the Mediator gives me great graphics, OK sound, good Ethernet, and finally (expensive) multiport USB. I mean really, $93 + $39 shipping?

You guys convinced me to get a (hard to find) RTL8029AS based card so my X-surf can go back to ZII uses, but maybe over the next 27 years of Amiga use there might be drivers for Mediator USB, Fast-er Ethernet cards or even Classic OS 4 updates that address these issues.

-Dan
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

@ danbeaver

I had just upgraded to OS4.1u4 and it was very nice but unfortunately I did "delete #? all" in the wrong directory.... just when I was about to backup which I had just cleaned for a new backup. Goes to show you need more than 1 backup and also a shell scrollback buffer! I am looking at how I can determine where to place the files back from my SFS .recycled directory otherwise will have to reinstall OS4.1 from scratch.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Wow, that's something I would do; no wait, I've.done it at least twice in the last 4 weeks!
It's easier to make backups under 3.9 where I can use my card reader on CF cards; 4 GB cards work well. I can copy "down" from 4.1 to a CF card under OS 3.9; but under 4.1 I can only copy to another HDD Partition.

-Dan
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

FastATA 4000 requires "Enable base page access" during the installation to work - did you select this option?
There will be a way it can be set I am sure, once you have installed.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Hi, Thanks for hanging in there with me!

Yes, when I tried to use the FastATA card, (since it would not get beyond the Boot process), I pulled the FastATA card, set that option (enable base access), continued the install, and later put the card back in, where it's presence made the system not bootable. Keep in mind that my hardware issues (well except for the Deneb in RST & ROM modes) were about not being to actually initialized the kernel to the stage of getting to a screen that was not just flashing colors. Initially I could not get to a boot screen with the Mediator, then (after you guy's help) with the FastATA card (now retired), then with the Deneb in a workable mode. If I had to hazard a guess, the flash aspect of the Deneb whispers dirty little secrets to the kernel which shuts it out. Even in ROM mode (a normal working mode for Deneb) the system (PciInfo & ShowConfig) show it is there, but Poseidon doesn't; you know what I just realized, is that I haven't tried the ANAIIS Stack. That means, though, gutting Ami again, returning the Deneb in ROM mode and installing the ANAIIS stack, provided it is usable under OS 4.1. A quick check shows it not on the OS4Depot website, but listed for all Amiga on Aminet. I could try an install and if it works under 4.1, gut Ami and retry the Deneb...

I got around the need for FastATA but using an ACard SCSI->IDE adapter for my very good, very fast DVD-R/W. I'm using my X-surf card for internet access (and to print across my network) presently (with a odd driver patch). USB support, which I had without the Mediator, is the only issue I can't resolve. I found a work around for my USB printers with a device called LPT2USB; a German product that is both build-able (provided the PCB is available), or in a ready to use form -- sold in the US for $60 + $15 shipping at http://www.lpt2usb.net/

Well I'm off to boot Ami and try out ANAIIS.

-Dan
P.S., I will also drop Mike (Mechy) at http://WWW.A4000T.com a note about his SCSI card reader and OS4.1
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

For those folks following this thread,

ANAIIS does not "naturally" support Deneb. If I knew my way around the hardware better (duh, at all), one can configure ANAIIS to support it. But then again, if I remove my Mediator, the Deneb will work fine.

I have had the opportunity to explore printing across my network to my HP Photosmart and ColorLaser, something I haven't worked out over the AmiTCP v3 stack I run under OS 3.9.

-Dan