Iomega JAZ and OS4.1

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Gregor

Iomega JAZ and OS4.1

Post by Gregor »

I am trying to configure a 1GB JAZ drive (CSPPC scsi/A4000T) to work with OS 4.1. So far I have got JAZ volumes mounted only via saving a DosDriver from MediaToolbox and using FFS as filesystem (or PFS3, formatted under OS3.5).

Is there a way to get a JAZ disk automounted and to boot from it under OS4.1, just like it works with OS3.5? How should I configure it? (Yes, I have already 'Automount' selected from CSPPC startupmenu, and both 'Automount' and 'Bootable' set on via MediaToolbox !-).

How about SFS, should it work also with removable media? When I select SFS instead of FFS and format a JAZ disk, it stays still as 'not a valid dos disk'.
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Iomega JAZ and OS4.1

Post by Slayer »

Firstly, what device are you booting off? I guess it must be the CSPPC SCSI?

I wouldn't worry about SFS until after I suceeded with FFS (less things to troubleshoot)

If you've succeeded under 3.5 wouldn't it be best to start exactly there and just tweak a thing at a time?

I used to boot off Iomega Zip disks which are similair by concept and the way I used to do it was use an old HD configuration tool that came with my 040 Zeus board PP&S which didn't really recognise removable hardware as removable hardware and would allow me to write RDB data to my Zip disks which would then spin up as bootable harddrives and another bonus was the system realised when you ejected one and mounted the new one... I don't think it would remove the old icon though of the previous one

interesting quirk ;-)
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Slayer wrote:Firstly, what device are you booting off? I guess it must be the CSPPC SCSI?
Yes. I have only SCSI drives and all of them are connected to CSPPC SCSI. Like this:

ActTerm - CSPPC - HardDisk (IBM, SCSI-III) - CDROM (CyberDrive24x, SCSI-II) - Jaz (SCSI-II) - ActTerm
I wouldn't worry about SFS until after I suceeded with FFS (less things to troubleshoot)
Well, I think this automount/boot problem is at a lower level than the filesystem, as the Jaz disks are not shown at all in the disk/partion list of the 2nd 'Amiga's Early Startup menu' - that is, after the OS4 has taken control of the machine. Usually all my partitions from the non-removable HD are shown there, independent what filesystem they use, and all of those are shown 'bootable' which have been set to be such (in e.g. HDToolbox), even if they use PSF3 or whatever filesystem.

BTW, my CDROM drive behaves exactly the same way - CDROM volumes not shown at all in the 2nd Early Startup Menu, if I boot from an OS4.1 partition (under OS3.5 no problems, CDROMs are shown also in the 2nd E.S. Menu). Consequently, I cannot, either, boot succesfully from the OS 4.1 Installation CD.

Anyway, the guestion is: SHOULD the Jaz volumes be recognized during bootup and automounted, and even be bootable Under OS 4.1? Does the OS4.1 support directly removable HDs or not? (All the wise guys from Hyperion around here should be able to answer this :-)!)

Or is there maybe just some hardware/software problem in my A4000T which prevents the normal use of Jaz under OS4.1 ...?
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

It's late here and I should be in bed

But I gather each device connected has a seperate scsi ID and its different from the controller ID?
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Slayer wrote:It's late here and I should be in bed

But I gather each device connected has a seperate scsi ID and its different from the controller ID?
Yes, absolutely! Otherwise there would be problems also at the OS3.5 side... And the IDs are shown correctly in MediaToolbox/HDToolBox. One peculiar thing, though: MediaToolbox lists SIX separate 'Lun's for the CDROM drive, but I have set it to have only ONE in the CSPPC bootmenu! HDToolBox shows correctly only one.