OS 3.1.4 Software Error w/ setpatch

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
schlika

OS 3.1.4 Software Error w/ setpatch

Post by schlika »

Hi Guys,

I setup my stock 25Mhz A3000 with 12Mb Fast & 2Mb chip RAM, using a Gotek drive with FlashFloppy v0.15 on to a 4Gb CF-card in a CF-to-ide adapter in a Buffalo IDE-to-scsi adapter on the internal scsi bus, using PFS3 Aio Filesystem (and NO UAE in the process !). Was a little work to get the correct geometry for the cf card, but it works OK.

Everytime I boot the OS 3.1.4 install or workbench floppy I get a software error 8000 0003 on a task 0740.... (the task id is not constant). If I boot with CPU cache disabled, everything works fine.

I tested all memory using the excellent systest and all is fine.

I traced it to the SetPatch command, and replacing SetPatch QUIET by SetPatch NOCACHE QUIET works OK.

In SysInfo, the Speed gives me 0.90 of the reference A3000. Sysinfo tells me I have ICache & Dcache ON, but IBurst & DBurst OFF. If I try to activate IBurst or DBurst, the power led blinks a few time and the machine hangs to a purple screen, after reboot I get the error 8000 0003 back.

Do you guys have seen the same behaviour on your A3000's ?
Gulliver

Re: OS 3.1.4 Software Error w/ setpatch

Post by Gulliver »

Hi,

Maybe it is one of those infamous cpu microcode bugs.

I would recommend you install ThoR´s MMULibs. They attempt to create workarounds for cpu bugs. In any case it won't hurt using them.

Get them from here:

http://aminet.net/util/libs/MMULib.lha

Let us know if this solves your issues.
schlika

Post by schlika »

HI,

I did install MMULibs, still does the exact same thing ... And MMUlibs insists on having setpatch being run before it.

I should add that I got my A3000 with an old 52Mb harddrive containing a full Commodore Amiga OS 3.1 including softkicked original 3.1 kickstart and it used to work OK with SetPatch. I suspect a trouble in the 3.1.4 ROM. Any other A3000 user around ?
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

I traced it to the SetPatch command, and replacing SetPatch QUIET by SetPatch NOCACHE QUIET works OK.
Are you sure that setpatch itself is crashing? Or is not that having enabled the cache some other aspect that doesn't like the cache enabled crashes?

Was the cache enabled on your pre 3.1.4 install?
kolla

Post by kolla »

schlika wrote:Any other A3000 user around ?
Yes, sure, but sadly I cannot help you as I don't have OS 3.1.4 for A3000 (not buying any more copies until Hyperion changes the crazy parts in the "software license").

My tip would be to update an OS 3.1 kickstart with rom modules from OS 3.1.4 kickstart till you find which rom module that causes the problem, and then make an OS 3.1.4 kickstart with the culprit module replaced with the equivalent from OS 3.1 or OS 3.9 with boing-bags, and of course write some report about which one it is and post it here. Of course the problem might also be SetPatch itself...