Clarification regarding the OS 3.1.4 license

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
kolla

Clarification regarding the OS 3.1.4 license

Post by kolla »

Regarding point 2 of the so called EULA for 3.1.4, "Permitted Uses and Restrictions."
This license allows you to install or operate the AmigaOS only on a computer system that had a version of AmigaOS installed on it at the time you acquired such computer system, which was especially prepared for running AmigaOS through the use of a dedicated (flash)rom or similar mechanism or for which a legitimate version of AmigaOS was or is available.
This is much too vague and open for interpretations. I bought 3.1.4 A500/A600/A2000 version for use with the only 68000 system I currently have, the FPGA based Minimig v1.1, and before I buy any more copies of OS 3.1.4, I want it to be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR what Hyperion means with the above - or much rather, I would prefer that Hyperion changes the EULA and specify precisely what Hyperion considers legitimate systems for OS 3.1.4 and what Hyperion considers non-legitimate systems for OS 3.1.4, precisely what systems are permitted to run OS 3.1.4 and what systems are not permitted to run OS 3.1.4.

Does the EULA permit that I use OS 3.1.4, or OS 3.1.4 components, with my Minimig, which I bought clean without any OS license?
Does the EULA permit that I use OS 3.1.4, or OS 3.1.4 components, with my MiST, which I bought with a Cloanto kickstart/workbench license?
Does the EULA permit that I use OS 3.1.4, or OS 3.1.4 components, with my FleaFPGA systems, which I bought clean, without any OS license?
Does the EULA permit that I use OS 3.1.4, or OS 3.1.4 components, with my MiSTer DE-10 nano board, which I bought clean, without any OS license?
Does the EULA permit that I use OS 3.1.4, or OS 3.1.4 components, with my Commodore CDTV and CD32 systems? It is unclear for me if there ever was a proper "legitimate version of AmigaOS" available for these systems, so please clarify.
Does the EULA permit that I use OS 3.1.4, or OS 3.1.4 components, with emulators (such as FS-UAE, WinUAE, Fellow, WinFellow, UAE4ARM, UAE4ALL, Vamos and more) which are in commonly in use among users and developers?

If any kickstart/workbench combo from Cloanto, sold for use with emulators, for use with old classic original Commodore and ESCOM Amiga computers, and for use with FPGA systems, count as "a legitimate version of AmigaOS", then does that not cover _any_ computer system in existence, meaning that one in accordance with the EULA can install Hyperion's OS 3.1.4 on whatever hardware that can run AmigaOS 3.1.4, or for which there exists emulators? If so, I suggest this is specified, that there are no limitations for what kind of hardware OS 3.1.4 can be used on.

This is especially important for users to know, as parties like AmiKit, who target emulators, prepare products that are based on OS 3.1.4.
You are required to select the appropriate "Locale" setting based on the location where you will be operating the AmigaOS.
Is this requirement for real? I _must_ use Norwegian locales when I am i Norway, and I _must_ change to Swedish locales when I bring my OS 3.1.4 system across the border to Sweden?
(btw, the Norwegian translations are horrible, littered with typos, consistent and inconsistent spelling mistakes, as well as weird use of danish words, so I ended up making my own locales that I will put on Aminet at some point)
Except as expressly permitted in this License or by law, you may not decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, rent, lease, loan, sublicense, distribute or create derivative works based upon the AmigaOS in whole or part or transmit the AmigaOS over a network or from one computer to another.
I have a setup where Amiga computers at boot load custom kickstarts and workbench boot environments into RAM over TFTP on the LAN - I suppose this is something I must stop doing with OS 3.1.4 if I want to be license compliant?
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Clarification regarding the OS 3.1.4 license

Post by ssolie »

kolla wrote:This is much too vague and open for interpretations. I bought 3.1.4 A500/A600/A2000 version for use with the only 68000 system I currently have, the FPGA based Minimig v1.1, and before I buy any more copies of OS 3.1.4, I want it to be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR what Hyperion means with the above - or much rather, I would prefer that Hyperion changes the EULA and specify precisely what Hyperion considers legitimate systems for OS 3.1.4 and what Hyperion considers non-legitimate systems for OS 3.1.4, precisely what systems are permitted to run OS 3.1.4 and what systems are not permitted to run OS 3.1.4.
That sounds illegal to me. I thought we went through this kind of thing with Apple already and the answer was no corporation can dictate what hardware we choose to run the software on? Windows will not "activate" but that doesn't mean I can't trick it into working if I want to.

Administrator edit:
The above reflects the sole personal opinion of the post author and not necessarily the opinion of Hyperion Entertainment CVBA or others.
ExecSG Team Lead
kolla

Post by kolla »

ssolie wrote: That sounds illegal to me. I thought we went through this kind of thing with Apple already and the answer was no corporation can dictate what hardware we choose to run the software on? Windows will not "activate" but that doesn't mean I can't trick it into working if I want to.
Thank you. As I see it, Hyperion must change the license to reflect reality, and not confuse the buyers with conditions and restrictions that are unlawful and unreasonable. I will follow this up through the appropriate consumer rights channels.
mia

Post by mia »

I always found it a bit funny that "free" software needs licenses these days - anyway, just my opinion but, I think this is more about the benefits from using licensed software than it is about stopping users installing and playing. I would still buy extra licenses for alternative platforms but realize It wouldn't be supported, but pirating your copy and installing everywhere would be blatanly illegal.
kolla

Post by kolla »

I just want a clear answer from Hyperion regarding what they consider breach of license and what they don't consider breach of license. And also what consequences it has for the buyer if Hyperion considers the license breached.

But clear answers from Hyperion is perhaps way too much to hope for, even when it would mean 9 more sales of OS 3.1.4 for them.