OS4.1FE CDROM problem

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Wrangler

OS4.1FE CDROM problem

Post by Wrangler »

I'm moving on from OS3.x to OS4.x for the first time. I have installed OS4.1FE from CD successfully on an A1200 but, when I reboot, the CDROM isn't accessible (no icons) and a quick "info" doesn't list CD0:. The CD and master hard disk are both connected to the first channel of a FASTATA Gold. I recognise this isn't supported under OS4 but the fact that the system installs from the CD correctly indicates the FASTATA isn't the problem (but I'm open to suggestions!) I get the same experience whether or not I comment out C:ATA3.driver in S:startup-sequence.

Any ideas anyone on what's going on here and how I can access the CDROM eg to install a browser? Probably something very simple I've overlooked... :cry:

Thanks

Matthew
Raziel

Re: OS4.1FE CDROM problem

Post by Raziel »

Wrangler wrote:I'm moving on from OS3.x to OS4.x for the first time. I have installed OS4.1FE from CD successfully on an A1200 but, when I reboot, the CDROM isn't accessible (no icons) and a quick "info" doesn't list CD0:. The CD and master hard disk are both connected to the first channel of a FASTATA Gold. I recognise this isn't supported under OS4 but the fact that the system installs from the CD correctly indicates the FASTATA isn't the problem (but I'm open to suggestions!) I get the same experience whether or not I comment out C:ATA3.driver in S:startup-sequence.

Any ideas anyone on what's going on here and how I can access the CDROM eg to install a browser? Probably something very simple I've overlooked... :cry:

Thanks

Matthew
I don't have a classic or a FastATA, but have you tried loading Media Toolbox and see what the FastATA.device lists?
Maybe OS3.x was more forgiving and it's just a matter of changing the master/slave jumper?

Just brainstorming here through
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Thanks for the input. If I boot from hard disk, the CDROM isn't even detected in Media toolbox. But if I boot from CD the CDROM is there. Interestingly, in this case BOOTCD: is assigned but not CD0: :| It seems as though kickstart is loading the wrong device driver or something.

To answer the other question, the HD is the master and the CD is the slave both on channel 0.

Any other hints?
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Wrangler wrote:Thanks for the input. If I boot from hard disk, the CDROM isn't even detected in Media toolbox. But if I boot from CD the CDROM is there. Interestingly, in this case BOOTCD: is assigned but not CD0: :| It seems as though kickstart is loading the wrong device driver or something.

To answer the other question, the HD is the master and the CD is the slave both on channel 0.

Any other hints?
Media Toolbox:
But the FastATA.device is available?
I guess double clicking on the device doesn't bring up any cd drive in the list, only the hdd, right?

To rule out a cable issue...have you tried putting the CDRom as master on channel 1 (on it's own cable...or tried another cable et al)?

If you boot from CD0: what does "info" bring up (once BOOTCD: is available)

Have you tried SYS:System/Mounter?
(You need to set your FastATA.device in the tooltypes first)
Does it list your CD (both boot from hdd and cd)?

Have you tried putting the CD drive on the onboard (if there is) ATA/IDE?
(Sorry if there is none, as i said i don't have that setup)

I hope someone with a similar setup will jump in as i'm afraid that this is the case you mentioned as "unsupported"... maybe you need to workaround the CD drive as mentioned above (a different channel, cable or even ide device).
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Let me answer your points in turn:

- It's scsi.device rather than fastata.device, but yes if I boot from HD then MediaToolbox only shows the HD. If I boot from CD then the CDROM shows up as well as the HD (fundamentally, I don't understand why this is happening).

- It's not a cable issue nor a CDROM issue: the machine boots happily from the CDROM

- Booting from CDROM and doing an info gives the following drives: APPDIR:, BootCD: (both read only), CC0: and CD0: (both listed as no disk present - I can't understand why this is true for CD0: when the disk is in the drive!), ENV:, the HD partitions, RAM: and TEXTCLIP:

- Mounter: I'm new to this program but I've tried it out. If I boot from HD, it says invalid unit number (or something similar). If I boot from CDROM, it says no rigid disk block (or similar). In both cases this is after having adjusted tooltypes to name the correct device and give the correct unit number (1 in this case).

- CD on onboard IDE: I don't have the cable for this and it would require major surgery of the machine. In any event, the CD works fine if I boot from it.

I really appreciate the help Raziel, you have raised several things I didn't think of, but I really think this needs a dev on it as the machine works fine booting from CDROM just not from HD. It must be some setting deep in the machine that's not there on the HD install... :(
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Wrangler wrote:Let me answer your points in turn:

- It's scsi.device rather than fastata.device, but yes if I boot from HD then MediaToolbox only shows the HD. If I boot from CD then the CDROM shows up as well as the HD (fundamentally, I don't understand why this is happening).
Something seems to interfere on the boot process :-/
- It's not a cable issue nor a CDROM issue: the machine boots happily from the CDROM

- Booting from CDROM and doing an info gives the following drives: APPDIR:, BootCD: (both read only), CC0: and CD0: (both listed as no disk present - I can't understand why this is true for CD0: when the disk is in the drive!), ENV:, the HD partitions, RAM: and TEXTCLIP:
As i said i don't have a classic, though i have never heard of CC0: before.

I just tried with my FE install CD on the X, but i only get a CD0: with the Boot CD in it, nothing else (apart from TEXTCLIP: and the HDD partitions of course)

Might there be a foreign dosdriver interfering from your hdd install? (long shot)
- Mounter: I'm new to this program but I've tried it out. If I boot from HD, it says invalid unit number (or something similar). If I boot from CDROM, it says no rigid disk block (or similar). In both cases this is after having adjusted tooltypes to name the correct device and give the correct unit number (1 in this case).
OK, this was just an idea
- CD on onboard IDE: I don't have the cable for this and it would require major surgery of the machine. In any event, the CD works fine if I boot from it.

I really appreciate the help Raziel, you have raised several things I didn't think of, but I really think this needs a dev on it as the machine works fine booting from CDROM just not from HD. It must be some setting deep in the machine that's not there on the HD install... :(
No problem, hopefully it will be easy to solve, good luck
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Lio

Post by Lio »

CC0: is the PCMCIA slot
RussellB

Post by RussellB »

I had a lot of problems with the FastATA Gold as well. I couldn't get a good install from CD as the files were being corrupted and the only way I could install FE is from my 4.0 partition as the FastATA drivers on the boot CD would cause problems with the FastATA Gold card.

Anyway to get FE running stable I had to comment out ATA3.driver in the kicklayout-a1200 and do a hard reboot

Download and install with the proper drivers for the FastATA Gold

http://www.elbox.com/download/FastATA%2799v7.1a3.4.lha

And now you should be able to see all your CD drives connected on either primary or secondary connections.
RussellB

Post by RussellB »

I just tested the allegroCDFS and it doesn't support long files names so back to the drawing board of getting something working properly.
RussellB

Post by RussellB »

I've fixed it now.

First make a copy of CDFileSystem out of kickstarts and put into L
Next edit CD2 and other CD dosdrivers by dragging it onto notepad

Change FileSystem = L:AllegroCDFS
to FileSystem = L:CDFileSystem

Long filenames now work after a reboot