AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition for classic

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition for classic

Post by salass00 »

@nyteschayde

In addition to what davebraco wrote remember to register your copy of AmigaOS 4.1 FE as well once you've created your account or you won't be able to get updates for Final Edition when they are made available.
satiropan

Post by satiropan »

salass00 wrote:@nyteschayde

In addition to what davebraco wrote remember to register your copy of AmigaOS 4.1 FE as well once you've created your account or you won't be able to get updates for Final Edition when they are made available.
but wasn't the FE supposed to be FINAL? e.g.no further upgrades as all Hyperion energies would be devoted to OS4.2 development?
Satiropan
PPA1200 (Poor Portable Amiga 1200): BPPC-160MB,
BVision-CGX4, HD 10GB, slim DVD R/W, Asus VW161D
display, 3COM Lan PC card, OS4.1FE
AmigaOne G3-SE 600MHz, 1GB, Radeon 9200 128DDR,
CS4281 sound card, RTL8029, SiI3114, OS 4.1.6 & OS4.1FE
http://www.oldfab.webs.com
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

satiropan wrote: but wasn't the FE supposed to be FINAL? e.g.no further upgrades as all Hyperion energies would be devoted to OS4.2 development?
It is but that doesn't mean that there won't be bug fixes and such.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

satiropan wrote:but wasn't the FE supposed to be FINAL? e.g.no further upgrades as all Hyperion energies would be devoted to OS4.2 development?
The Final Edition was actually obsoleted before it even shipped. What I mean is, there were bugs discovered after the CDs had been pressed. Updates for Final Edition will still be provided as usual to fix those bugs. The "Final Edition" refers to the end of the 4.1 line.

In my personal opinion, I'm not a huge fan of the name myself. I've been in software a long time and there is no such thing as a "final" version of anything in software (emphasis on soft). Marketing tends to override common sense. Why else would you start naming releases after cats for example? ;)
ExecSG Team Lead
MMikhail
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MMikhail »

DarrenHD wrote:
Lio wrote: ENV:Warp3D/Permedia2/DisableAdditiveBlending
When set to "on", the emulated additive blending (that was introduced the V4) is disabled. This fixes issues with Wipeout2097's exhaust trails but makes Heretic2, Quake3 etc. look awful.

In order to address the problem above, you can create environment variables that are executable specific, which if present, will override any global setting for that executable. To do this, you simply create a subdirectory for the executable. For instance, setting...

ENV:Warp3D/Permedia2/wipeout_demo/DisableAdditiveBlending

... to "on", but leaving it out of the global settings, allows the wipeout_demo to turn off the additive blending support which forces the game to fall back onto the original behaviour where it uses an alpha blended exhaust trail effect.
This is very nice, pity we don't have these option in Warp3D 4.2 too. Or there are other ways to make wipeout run properly with engine flares ?
A1260T/BPPC/BVPPC/128MB/CNET/SCSI/HDD/CDRW/DVD/HPLJ4P/HPSJ6 (AMiGA)
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

MMikhail wrote:
DarrenHD wrote:
Lio wrote: ENV:Warp3D/Permedia2/DisableAdditiveBlending
When set to "on", the emulated additive blending (that was introduced the V4) is disabled. This fixes issues with Wipeout2097's exhaust trails but makes Heretic2, Quake3 etc. look awful.

In order to address the problem above, you can create environment variables that are executable specific, which if present, will override any global setting for that executable. To do this, you simply create a subdirectory for the executable. For instance, setting...

ENV:Warp3D/Permedia2/wipeout_demo/DisableAdditiveBlending

... to "on", but leaving it out of the global settings, allows the wipeout_demo to turn off the additive blending support which forces the game to fall back onto the original behaviour where it uses an alpha blended exhaust trail effect.
This is very nice, pity we don't have these option in Warp3D 4.2 too. Or there are other ways to make wipeout run properly with engine flares ?
These options are specific to the Permedia2 driver. I don't know if they are configurable for Warp3D in general, but I doubt it.

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
MMikhail
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MMikhail »

DarrenHD wrote: ENV:Warp3D/Permedia2/wipeout_demo/DisableAdditiveBlending

These options are specific to the Permedia2 driver. I don't know if they are configurable for Warp3D in general, but I doubt it.

Darren
Yes, specific, but available in v5, there is no such thing in the v4, it has a few options, but nothing like that, a big pity.
A1260T/BPPC/BVPPC/128MB/CNET/SCSI/HDD/CDRW/DVD/HPLJ4P/HPSJ6 (AMiGA)