OS4.1 other problems

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
gbozkurt

OS4.1 other problems

Post by gbozkurt »

My system:
A1200 Rev 2b
BPPC 040/25 210 MHZ 128 ram
Mediator pci sx 6 pci slot
Voodoo 3000 16 mb (working)
160 gb ide hdd (4gb partitions sfs)
OS4.1
Sound blaster 128 pci
Spider II Pci
Realtek Ethernet pci

I can see all my pci cards with pciview
Showconfig says all my cards working

I copied sb128.audio to devs:ahi
and Sb128 to devs:audiomodes
when i click to ahi i see sb128
selected but no sound !

Spider II is working.
Poseidon 4.4 loaded
Spider.device (3.21) copied to devs:usbhardware
In Posedion i select new controlers and click to spider.device
When i click it says spider.device failed (-1) and the light of the usb is not working

When i copy some pci.libraries to libs, os4.1 crash and freeze

Help please
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: OS4.1 other problems

Post by LyleHaze »

about the audio..
There is newer HDAudio and older AC97.
The connectors are the same size, with the key in the same place, but the connections are NOT compatible.

Based on its age, I'll wage a guess that your SoundBlaster is probably AC97.. but don't trust my guess, look it up.

IF it is AC97, and yopu plug NOTHING in to the front panel header on the soundcard, you'll get nothing on hte back either.
The audio is passed out to the front headphone jack first, and then back throught normally closed contacts to the rear output.
This makes the rear output mute when headphones are plugged in, or when nothing is connected to the header on the sound card.

So, first, look up your exact soundcard and confirm that it is AC97.
Then check your case wiring, many today have both connectors, if so, read the labels on the connectors and use the right one.

If AHI can't see your card, it won't offer it as a possible choice.

Good Luck,
LyleHaze
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

The SB128 in OS4.1 does not produce sound but somewhat processes the sound that enters it; on my A4000T there are two options, use the Amiga audio out to the mic-in with an external cable, or solder wires from the AV module and run them to one of the SB128 card inputs (I use the AUX leaving the CD free). This internal method looks "cleaner" from the rear. I've found that on an A4000D the external method is MUCH easier. An A1200 would likely be easiest with the external method. If you used a supported USB card under OS4.1 that can use Poseidon (Subway or other E3B), the USB dongle method offers superior sound output (IMHO) and info on its setup is available. The DMA of your Spider card prevents its usage in OS4.1. The other option is the harder to find ESS-1 Solo 1938 sound card; this is not supported in OS3.9 Mediator but is an excellent OS4.1 option. Due to the little time I spend in OS3.9, this is what my A4000T uses.
Rotzloeffel

Post by Rotzloeffel »

As a Solution, that worked perfect, you have to "kill" the pci-support from OS 4.1 and use Elbox pci.library instead! Version 10 is suggested!
put Elbox pci library in libs: and the voodoo.card from elbox in Libs:Picasso96/

uncomment the following lines in your kicklayout

Code: Select all

;MODULE Kickstart/x86emu.resource.kmod
;MODULE Kickstart/PCIGraphics.card
;MODULE Kickstart/ATIRadeon.chip
;MODULE Kickstart/Voodoo.chip
reboot the machine and add the following lines below the uncomented above:

MODULE Libs:pci.library
MODULE Libs:Picasso96/Voodoo.card
edit the file in Kickstart/p96config and change the BOARDTYPE=Voodoo

restart your Amiga and attach the Voodoo by using Picasso96Mode

load a bunch of VESA Screenmodes using the Picasso96Settings
P96_VESA.LHA
(1.05 KiB) Downloaded 2597 times
this also works with the Radeon (radeon.card and BOARDTYPE=Radeon)

once you get your Voodoo working, you can install all other devices uses with OS3.9 100MBit NIC, Soundblaster, Spider etc......
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Rotzloeffel wrote:As a Solution, that worked perfect, you have to "kill" the pci-support from OS 4.1 and use Elbox pci.library instead! Version 10 is suggested!
put Elbox pci library in libs: and the voodoo.card from elbox in Libs:Picasso96/

uncomment the following lines in your kicklayout

;MODULE Kickstart/x86emu.resource.kmod
;MODULE Kickstart/PCIGraphics.card
;MODULE Kickstart/ATIRadeon.chip
;MODULE Kickstart/Voodoo.chip
reboot the machine and add the following lines below the uncomented above:

MODULE Libs:pci.library
MODULE Libs:Picasso96/Voodoo.card
edit the file in Kickstart/p96config and change the BOARDTYPE=Voodoo

restart your Amiga and attach the Voodoo by using Picasso96Mode

load a bunch of VESA Screenmodes using the Picasso96Settings
P96_VESA.LHA
this also works with the Radeon (radeon.card and BOARDTYPE=Radeon)

once you get your Voodoo working, you can install all other devices uses with OS3.9 100MBit NIC, Soundblaster, Spider etc......
I've never had real success getting the elbox pci.library to work - does it limit the amount of graphics memory possible? Does compositing still work with the Radeon?

The reason why the SB128 doesn't work with the native OS 4.1 drivers is because that card requires DMA support - something which OS 4.1 doesn't support on the Mediator. Only the Elbox drivers support that pseudo-dma using the gfx card memory buffer as a DMA memory area...

The Mediator is not a real Zorro 3 DMA busmaster card, so that's why Elbox has to emulate DMA in software. They've done a nice job with it, though.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
Rotzloeffel

Post by Rotzloeffel »

DarrenHD wrote: I've never had real success getting the elbox pci.library to work - does it limit the amount of graphics memory possible? Does compositing still work with the Radeon?
I believe you! Because you have not the needed version of pci.library! This was an issue I discussed with Elbox by Email and found this solution by using a "special" version V10 this is not puplic available actualy (no idea why). I only did this using normal VGA output of Radeon and Voodoo 3
DarrenHD wrote: The reason why the SB128 doesn't work with the native OS 4.1 drivers is because that card requires DMA support - something which OS 4.1 doesn't support on the Mediator. Only the Elbox drivers support that pseudo-dma using the gfx card memory buffer as a DMA memory area...
That´s correct... therefor you need the pci.library! you find it in Post 1 of this thread: http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35427 it is included there.
DarrenHD wrote: They've done a nice job with it, though.
ahhh by unauthorised hacking a Driver from the P96-Team and not paying for the driver license to use Poseidon, or what do you mean ? The Hardware? useless without drivers :roll:
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Rotzloeffel wrote:
ahhh by unauthorised hacking a Driver from the P96-Team and not paying for the driver license to use Poseidon, or what do you mean ? The Hardware? useless without drivers :roll:
Well I don't know anything about that. I was just talking about the pseudo-DMA capability.

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!