Transparency for context menu

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Tomcat

Transparency for context menu

Post by Tomcat »

Hi,
is it possible to make the context menu transparent? If not please build it in the next version. ;)
Last edited by Tomcat on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
samo79

Re: Transparency for contect menu

Post by samo79 »

Yeah, it's a very good suggestion ;)

Other system menu already support any type of transparencies, it's time to add this feature also on the standard Context Menu, now that they are working to extend it making it more "standard" with the other menu in general would be an excellent idea :)

Other nice thing would be add a sort of icon support into that workbench menu, that's mandatory for the future Firefox4 port, context menu already support that (as you can see in this recent photo taken at Alchimie)

http://obligement.free.fr/gfx/alchimie1 ... extuel.jpg
chris

Post by chris »

samo79 wrote:Other nice thing would be add a sort of icon support into that workbench menu
Technically you can do that already, but I can't get it to work.
See http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... ?f=26&t=94
Raziel

Re: Transparency for context menu

Post by Raziel »

The funny thing is i thought i HAD my context menues transparent in upd2.
I'm pretty sure i was wondering why the context menues look so ugly again after installing upd3 and thought that maybe the prefs file changed...then i thought a new version was introduced which took out this feature...ah well
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

I always disable transparency for my personal use partitions

It is enabled for beta testing though... I personally don't see the attraction... guess I don't have enough windows open at once for this feature to come into its own (eg see what's behind it)
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
samo79

Post by samo79 »

chris wrote:Technically you can do that already, but I can't get it to work.
Ah i completely miss that, then did you look at it again ?
raziel wrote:The funny thing is i thought i HAD my context menues transparent in upd2.
I'm pretty sure i was wondering why the context menues look so ugly again after installing upd3 and thought that maybe the prefs file changed...then i thought a new version was introduced which took out this feature...ah well
Mmm are you sure ?
The menus we are talking are into the PopupMenu in SYS:Prefs and that "commodity" was not updated recently (Version 53.4 -29-11-2009), only on it you can change the various graphical options, (and currently trasparencies but also rounded corners are not supported at all) in reality that menu isn't a real part of the system, it's an simple addon that was installed and enabled by default into the latest updates.

In an ideal world such type of menu need to be really integrated into the system and controlled by the usual SYS:Prefs/GUI, not from an external program
slayer wrote:I always disable transparency for my personal use partitions

It is enabled for beta testing though... I personally don't see the attraction... guess I don't have enough windows open at once for this feature to come into its own (eg see what's behind it)
Well it's not I like it or i dislike it, it's just a normal feature than AmigaOS need to be more complete, if you support such trasparencies or rounded corners into 1 menu then you need to support exact the same into all the other part of the system, it's a general rule not somethings special ...

We need 1 single place where access all things regarding menu and context menu, this in an ideal world, but as we don't it yet we can just wait to see that new features into our PopUpMenu in SYS:Prefs, surely better than nothing ;)
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Yes, i'm talking about the ContextMenus commodity.

But maybe i'm mixing up the WB pull-down menu with it.
Ideally this contextmenu should be a part of GUI prefs :-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
chris

Post by chris »

samo79 wrote:
chris wrote:Technically you can do that already, but I can't get it to work.
Ah i completely miss that, then did you look at it again ?
No, I gave up after trying every combination and option I could think of. The underlying Intuition code definitely supports images (otherwise Amiga key logos, checkmarks, etc wouldn't be available), but through GadTools it doesn't seem to, I've hacked about the Intuition menu structures and that doesn't work either, and creating menus using Intuition only isn't something I'm keen on doing. I haven't tried it on OS3, maybe that might be worth a go, it could be a regression in OS4. However, with no example code available and nobody apparently knowing how to achieve it, plus conflicting information in the AutoDocs/includes, I'm flying blind.
Raziel wrote:Yes, i'm talking about the ContextMenus commodity.

But maybe i'm mixing up the WB pull-down menu with it.
Ideally this contextmenu should be a part of GUI prefs :-)
The commodity is just an extension to WB which uses popupmenu.class/library. Popupmenu has it's own prefs. Ideally popupmenu.class should be removed and the popupmenu functionality integrated into Intuition. There seems to be a bug in popupmenu.class or .library causing serious problems, but it is proving elusive and nobody has scanned my crashlog at the bottom of the page here to see if it gives an indication of what the problem is (or if they have, they aren't telling). I'm not even sure if that has been logged as a bug despite Rigo seemingly having a very similar problem with it.