Question regarding default Screen Font.

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
redfox

Question regarding default Screen Font.

Post by redfox »

I have noticed that RequestChoice, RequestFile, RequestString and RequestList (from OS4Depot) all use the default Screen font for the contents of the requester. The default setting for Screen Font on my system is DejaVu Sans/16, which is a variable-width font, where the letters and spacings have different widths. This can cause alot of confusion if I am using RequestList to display a file that is organized into columns, such as the output from the List directory command.

If I temporarily change the Screen Font to DejaVu Sans Mono/15, the contents of these requesters looks correct and columns lineup correcly.

So my question is ...
Would there be any adverse effects if I permantly set the Screen Font to DejaVu Sans Mono/15?

Prefs > Font preferences > Fonts tab > Screen font:

AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 1

---
redfox
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Question regarding default Screen Font.

Post by nbache »

There is obviously the adverse effect of the system using a fixed-width font also in a lot of other cases, where it wouldn't be necessary. But apart from that, you won't break anything.

But the problem really is that RequestList - which is the only one of the aforementioned commands which naturally lends itself to displaying column-formatted data (and the only third-party one) - should offer you an option to set the font (or font class) used in the requester.

Try asking the author for that enhancement.

Best regards,

Niels
redfox

Post by redfox »

Thanks Niels.

---
redfox
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

Programs that need a fixed width font can use the system default font (GfxBase->DefaultFont), which is guaranteed to be non-proportional.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Yes, that's what I meant by "font class" - although it was perhaps not the correct term for it.

Best regards,

Niels