diskdoctor

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
JosDuchIt

diskdoctor

Post by JosDuchIt »

Diskdoctor is released with OS3.1.4
Could it be released for those only working with OS4 ?
I have an urgent need for it.
Raziel

Re: diskdoctor

Post by Raziel »

I may be wrong, but isn't diskdoctor for FFS floppies/HDDs only?

And FFS is obsolete, so...
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
JosDuchIt

Post by JosDuchIt »

The author's view on this here:
http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/v ... 62&forum=3
It seems to be, according to that thread, the only working & available recovery SW (handling modern large harddisks)
The question is in fact addressed to Hyperion: do we have to pay the os3.1.4 price to get hold of diskdoctor?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

JosDuchIt wrote:The author's view on this here:
http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/v ... 62&forum=3
It seems to be, according to that thread, the only working & available recovery SW (handling modern large harddisks)
The question is in fact addressed to Hyperion: do we have to pay the os3.1.4 price to get hold of diskdoctor?
If you read the whole thread you refer to, it says that an OS4 version is being worked on.

Best regards,

Niels
JosDuchIt

Post by JosDuchIt »

@nbache,
yes indeed i did read that an OS4.1 is worked upon.
But i guess that tha 68000 diskdoctor wil work allready too on a OS4. install ?
Question is do i have to buy the OS3.1.4 package in order to get hold now of the diskdoctor 68k program ?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

JosDuchIt wrote:@nbache,
yes indeed i did read that an OS4.1 is worked upon.
But i guess that tha 68000 diskdoctor wil work allready too on a OS4. install ?
The way I read it, the 68k version does not run on OS4 yet. You'd have to connect the disk to a 68k system running the 3.1.4 OS and DiskDoctor.

But you'd have to ask Olsen, I'm just guessing.

Best regards,

Niels
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that FFS2 (as distributed with OS4) uses slightly different disk formats from the old FFS from OS3. A disk partitioned with HDToolBox is incompatible with a disk partitioned with MediaToolbox IIRC.
cheers
tony
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Quoting olsen from the thread referred to above:
@nbache

> Just because the new DiskDoctor can fix disks using the FFS from OS 3.1, doesn't mean it also knows everything about the ones using the newer FFS found in OS 4.x.

Actually, it does

I started working on what would become the new Disk Doctor when it became apparent that AmigaOS 4 would no longer include a diagnostic, recovery and repair tool for the OFS/FFS/DCFS/LNFS file system flavours. [...]
It's not entirely clear to me from that post whether it would actually repair/diagnose an OS4 FFS2 volume when used under 3.1.4, but it "sort of" sounds like it.

That's why I wrote that one would have to ask olsen specifically.

Best regards,

Niels
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

From what I've read the AmigaOS 3.1.4 version of diskdoctor only analyses the disk/partition and allows to recover the data from it to another disk. It does not have any sort of repair function yet AFAIK.

DOS/7 AKA LNFS is already supported according to the comment you quoted. If it wasn't there would already be a problem with OS 3.1.4 as the updated FFS added support for long filenames same as in FFS2 used in AmigaOS 4.
328gts

Post by 328gts »

salass00 wrote:From what I've read the AmigaOS 3.1.4 version of diskdoctor only analyses the disk/partition and allows to recover the data from it to another disk. It does not have any sort of repair function yet AFAIK.

DOS/7 AKA LNFS is already supported according to the comment you quoted. If it wasn't there would already be a problem with OS 3.1.4 as the updated FFS added support for long filenames same as in FFS2 used in AmigaOS 4.
so it should be called backup or recover ' whatever' not 'Doctor' else it would bloody fix/ repair something :roll:
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+