BUG: Notepad's About window will lock out any PD-Menus

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Raziel

BUG: Notepad's About window will lock out any PD-Menus

Post by Raziel »

Ok, this is another annoying behaviour i remembered, when i stumbled over it while testing another bug.

Affected programs:
Notepad 53.16 (19.5.2016)

Steps to reproduce:

1) Open Notepad
2) Bring up it's "About" window
Now try to open *any* pull down menu from either workbench or any other program that is running.
The menu will come up (well, the headlines) on clicking the right mouse button (eiher the original Screenbar or with ContextMenues), but no subentries will draw and/or could be chosen.

Notes:
I remember reporting this bug years ago in some other forum and i think i remember i was being told that workbench runs out of pens (blame my memory if it is completly wrong), but even though, should that be still the case today and can't it be fixed?

Other programs affected:
Probably all programs that feature more child windows being open at once, but i could only make it happen with one other.
MUI programs (Odyssey i.e.) doesn't suffer from this behaviour, so i guess it' could also be a ReAction problem?

- MultiEdit - open the "Find & Replace" window AND the About window and the same effect happens, but Notepad is easier to test.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: BUG: Notepad's About window will lock out any PD-Menus

Post by broadblues »

THis is probably because of IDCMP_MENUVERIFY not being dealt with in some way.

Note if you hold the right mouse buttons down the menus will open eventually as there is specific work arround for this in intuition, at as far as I remeber from other discussions.

In notepads case I suspect the reason it occurs is that the main NotePad window has not been disabled by opening the about window, but opening that window stops the main window event loop from being serviced. This should be easy to fix.

MultiEdit is more subtle because the main window is disabled by the about window opening. However the search window multitasks with the main window and isn't disabled. (because I didn;t think of it!) so causes a similar block. The search window doesn't have any menus though, so I might just be able tweek the IDCMP flags to fix that.

This issue occurs in a number of applications, for example AudioEvolution has it when the sample list window is open.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

broadblues wrote:THis is probably because of IDCMP_MENUVERIFY not being dealt with in some way.

Note if you hold the right mouse buttons down the menus will open eventually as there is specific work arround for this in intuition, at as far as I remeber from other discussions.
Ahh, you are right...i never thought of keeping the mouse button pressed...takes 2-3 seconds but the menues come up finally, neat trick.

Still not elegant in the first place

In notepads case I suspect the reason it occurs is that the main NotePad window has not been disabled by opening the about window, but opening that window stops the main window event loop from being serviced. This should be easy to fix.
Perfect
MultiEdit is more subtle because the main window is disabled by the about window opening. However the search window multitasks with the main window and isn't disabled. (because I didn;t think of it!) so causes a similar block. The search window doesn't have any menus though, so I might just be able tweek the IDCMP flags to fix that.
That's what i am here for (thinking of that) ;-)
This issue occurs in a number of applications, for example AudioEvolution has it when the sample list window is open.
So, it's a per-app issue?
Too bad, i thought a general fix might be possible

Thanks for the feedback
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

The 'general fix' is the inution timeout which you see when holding down the RMB.

Both these two instances have now been fixed in NotePad 53.17 and MultiEdit 1.9 subject to testing etc....
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Thank you for letting me know
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg