ASyncWB tooltypes

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Raziel

ASyncWB tooltypes

Post by Raziel »

There is unfortunately no info on the wiki and on the documentation, so can anyone tell me what the NOHISTORY switch does?

And maybe add some info on all the other tooltypes?

Thanks
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
xenic

Re: ASyncWB tooltypes

Post by xenic »

Raziel wrote:There is unfortunately no info on the wiki and on the documentation, so can anyone tell me what the NOHISTORY switch does?
I can't even find any ASyncWB docs in my old OS3.5/OS3.9 CDs. However, if you examine ASyncWB in a HEX editor or reader, you should find the text: "ENVARC:Sys/AsyncWB.history". Unless that TOOLTYPE has been disabled, I would guess that you would find that file present if you disable the NOHISTORY tooltype in the ASyncWB icon.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

xenic wrote:
Raziel wrote:There is unfortunately no info on the wiki and on the documentation, so can anyone tell me what the NOHISTORY switch does?
I can't even find any ASyncWB docs in my old OS3.5/OS3.9 CDs. However, if you examine ASyncWB in a HEX editor or reader, you should find the text: "ENVARC:Sys/AsyncWB.history". Unless that TOOLTYPE has been disabled, I would guess that you would find that file present if you disable the NOHISTORY tooltype in the ASyncWB icon.
Thanks, xenic, will check out what exactly this history file stores...
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

NOHISTORY switches off the Execute Command history.

If it's not set the Menu->Workbench->Execute Command ... requester has a history than can be "browsed" through using the up and down arrow keys.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

broadblues wrote:NOHISTORY switches off the Execute Command history.

If it's not set the Menu->Workbench->Execute Command ... requester has a history than can be "browsed" through using the up and down arrow keys.
Ah, thank you
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
xenic

Post by xenic »

It seems strange that the icon of a drag & drop file copying commodity would control a completely unrelated Workbench menu for starting programs; especially since ASyncWB wasn't even added to the OS until OS3.5. Testing indicates it's true and demonstrates that the "Execute" history is flawed. If you select the Workbench "Execute command..." menu the resulting requester shows the previous command but if you select a new command with the file requester gadget, it is tacked on to the end of the prevous command and fails if you select the execute button. I think the newly selected command should replace the previous command instead of adding the new command to the previous command and creating a command that just causes an error.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

It seems strange that the icon of a drag & drop file copying commodity would control a completely unrelated Workbench menu for starting programs; especially since ASyncWB wasn't even added to the OS until OS3.5.
The history feature does not exist independently of AsyncWB (that I'm aware of ).
Testing indicates it's true and demonstrates that the "Execute" history is flawed. If you select the Workbench "Execute command..." menu the resulting requester shows the previous command but if you select a new command with the file requester gadget, it is tacked on to the end of the prevous command and fails if you select the execute button. I think the newly selected command should replace the previous command instead of adding the new command to the previous command and creating a command that just causes an error.
That's because the user perforiming the testing is not taking inot account the way that the Execute Command popup works. Each time you use it adds to the command line being created, it doesn't replace it (whether or not ASyncWB is in force) and so enables you to build an entire command line with both comand and arguments.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

xenic wrote:
It seems strange that the icon of a drag & drop file copying commodity would control a completely unrelated Workbench menu for starting programs
ASyncWB i far more than "a drag & drop file copying commodity". It's a WB patch with several enhancements, including the optional history discussed here.

Best regards,

Niels
xenic

Post by xenic »

broadblues wrote: That's because the user perforiming the testing is not taking inot account the way that the Execute Command popup works. Each time you use it adds to the command line being created, it doesn't replace it (whether or not ASyncWB is in force) and so enables you to build an entire command line with both comand and arguments.
Actually I think the user is pointing out that the "Execute Command" file requester button doesn't work the same way that it does in every other Amiga program. However, I get you point about using it to create a command line with file arguments.
xenic

Post by xenic »

nbache wrote:ASyncWB i far more than "a drag & drop file copying commodity". It's a WB patch with several enhancements, including the optional history discussed here.
Now I see the connection between ASyncWB and the history. ASyncWB is also patching the Workbench "Execute Command..." popup window and replacing it with a different popup window. If you open Exchange and remove ASyncWB, the window that opens when you select the "Execute Command..." menu item is completely different; just a string gadget with no file requester button.