Boot problems when network is down

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
samo79

Boot problems when network is down

Post by samo79 »

I wonder why AmigaOS4 still frozen and have all that problems during the boot procedure if the internet connection will be down or will be not accessible by OS4 for any reason.

I note this particular problem because the cable of my router is quite crappy so if accidentally i move my table (or touch the router) the cable will be disconnect easily :evil:

I use to connect in internet my Sam with a PC Windows, so almost there (on Win) i can be able to check the connection instantanely (the monitor icon in tray bar) but on AmigaOS isn't that friendly

For now i solve the problem adding a

Run >Nil on AddNetworkInterfaces in my StartupSequence

So OS4 doesn't load the net before the boot, but with this method it seems i need to reactivate my connection manually (each time) so still a bit annoying ..

I don't know what is the cause but would be really cool if it can be solved for the next update ;)
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Boot problems when network is down

Post by Hypex »

AddNetInterface needs to multitask!

And even if Roadshow does it properly it's still the slowest DHCP negotiator I've seen. If it works with buggy DHCP servers.
ikir

Post by ikir »

I didn't checked if in update 3 this has changed, but it needs to! many people reporting very slow boot have this issue.
samo79

Post by samo79 »

@Ikir

No it didn't changed in Update 3 :roll:

Also there are other things that could delay the boot, read here: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... f=16&t=390