System locks up shortly after booting

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Flipper
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: System locks up shortly after booting

Post by Flipper »

I have just reinstalled 4.1.u1;4.1.u2 and 4.1u3 withe a clean install.Everything worked fine untill I decieded to connect to the internet through the prefs icon,entered the settings and saved them,rebooted and the system froze right after the new black AOS4.1u3 screen appeared.Seams it affects the Sam440Flex also,whatever the problem is.
This time I will install up to AOS4.1.u2 and see what happens.
Amiga A1000 thru A4000,Sam440,Sam440flex.An Amigan since 11/1985.Homer,Ak;halibut fishing capitol of the world.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

Ned wrote:This leads me to wonder if I might be able to automate the process somehow by delaying the system's attempt to get internet up and running so early in the startup sequence. That is, maybe disable all the existing internet startup stuff and perhaps put it at the end of user-startup or something. Any thoughts?
You should be able to modify my approach, where instead of the popular hack of adding "Run <>NIL:" before "C:AddNetInterface" in S:StartUp-Sequence, I replace the "C:AddNetInterface" line with this:

Run >Nil: Execute S:Network-Startup

And then create the file "S:Network-Startup" containing this:

Code: Select all

SetEnv Sys/NetInterfaceStatus "Network OFFLINE"
C:AddNetInterface QUIET DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info)
C:GetNetStatus CHECK INTERFACES,RESOLVER,DEFAULTROUTE
IF NOT WARN
	SetEnv Sys/NetInterfaceStatus "Network Online"
ELSE
	SetEnv Sys/NetInterfaceStatus "Network FAILURE"
ENDIF

Date SERVER time.nist.gov ;PORT 123
You don't need the Date command if you don't want to get the correct time on each boot. OTOH, if you want to delay getting the internet until later, then simply add (for example) the command "Wait 1 MIN" (without quotes!) at the top of this new file (before C:AddNetInterface but after SetEnv).

Also, If you want you can add "network status" to your Workbench titlebar. Open Sys:Prefs/Workbench, and add " %e Sys/NetInterfaceStatus" (without quotes!) to the end of your "Screen title format" line. This will show when the network is up. (IMHO something like this should be standard on OS4, if no OS4 devs have the time to do this 'properly'.)
xenic

Post by xenic »

Flipper wrote:I have just reinstalled 4.1.u1;4.1.u2 and 4.1u3 withe a clean install.Everything worked fine untill I decieded to connect to the internet through the prefs icon,entered the settings and saved them,rebooted and the system froze right after the new black AOS4.1u3 screen appeared.Seams it affects the Sam440Flex also,whatever the problem is.
This time I will install up to AOS4.1.u2 and see what happens.
I have a SAM Flex but normally start my network manually with a script button on my Internet screen. However, I reactivated (uncommented) the network startup in my startup-sequence to see if I could reproduce your problem. My system boot is a little slower (I didn't add "run >NIL:") but it works fine. I also deactivated the network startup in my startup-sequence and started the network from a shell command line with Snoopy running. I noticed that when I had switched from dialup to cable modem several months ago, the dialup interface remained in SYS:Devs/NetInterfaces/ and that AddNetInterface was opening the ppp-serial.device in addition to starting ethernet. I would advise people having problems starting their network to remove all files from DH0:Devs/NetInterfaces/ except the Interface file that they want to use.

I would recommend commenting out the AddNetInterface line in your startup-sequence, reboot, open a shell window and enter C:AddNetInterface DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info) to see if errors are reported. If nothing obviously wrong occurs you could try repeating the procedure with Snoopy running to see if you can spot a problem. It might also be a good idea to list your SYS:Prefs/Internet settings in this forum to see if anyone can spot a problem with your settings.

NOTE: I also noticed in Snoopy that AddNetInterface attempts to open the icon (.info) files in DEVS:NetInterfaces even though the command line (~(#?.info) should preclude opening .info files. Does anyone know if AddNetInterface actually looks for TOOLTYPES in the .info files??
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE