USBCtrl fails

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Moxee

Re: USBCtrl fails

Post by Moxee »

Hypex wrote: Moxee do you have a dual boot system?
No, I don't. I've only used AmigaOS 4 outside of the original Debian Linux which was shipped with it. I replaced the Debian Linux hard drive with a new one for OS4.
On systems where a boot volume has to be used to boot Linux from Parthenope the boot volume has to be updated with the new Kickstart. As if it isn't the old Kickstart loads! Friend had this problem.
Mine sure seems to be acting that way and I don't know why. Looks like I have one of two decisions to make:

1- Start all over again with OS 4.1 Update 1 and doing the "one finger" case reboot after each of the 3 Updates.

2- Select the AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 for the Multiboot option and save it to see what happens on the next boot. Strange that "Default" is written in when there is no option for Default. But for all I know it could be that AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 is the "Default". I've been canceling that window to preserve the present status.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Moxee wrote:2- Select the AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 for the Multiboot option and save it to see what happens on the next boot. Strange that "Default" is written in when there is no option for Default. But for all I know it could be that AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 is the "Default". I've been canceling that window to preserve the present status.
I'd say that's what you should do. If AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 is the only option there, then that's the only configuration in your Kickstart/Kicklayout, which BTW must have been written by the installation of Update 3 (unless you yourself edited your Kicklayout to have a LABEL of AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3). And in that case, that's the one you want to boot, as it should match your update 3 system installation.

Not sure if it changes anything, though, because if you only have the one configuration in there, then that would be the one that is booted anyway regardless of what the UBoot option says. But it won't hurt, and it will lead to less confusion in the future having it match what actually exists.

Best regards,

Niels
Moxee

Post by Moxee »

nbache wrote: I'd say that's what you should do. If AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 is the only option there, then that's the only configuration in your Kickstart/Kicklayout, which BTW must have been written by the installation of Update 3
I agree.
(unless you yourself edited your Kicklayout to have a LABEL of AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3). And in that case, that's the one you want to boot, as it should match your update 3 system installation.
No, I have not edited any files.
Not sure if it changes anything, though, because if you only have the one configuration in there, then that would be the one that is booted anyway regardless of what the UBoot option says. But it won't hurt, and it will lead to less confusion in the future having it match what actually exists.
I selected AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 option, saved it, and did a hard reboot. Nothing changed! Nothing except that now the AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 is listed in the window as the boot source except for Default.

I've got two Kicklayout files.
- One is named: Kicklayout which has the configuration name: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3
- Other is named: Kicklayout.backup which has the configuration name: AmigaOS4.1 Update 1. (no space between S and 4)

They have the same files except that Update 3 has one additional file. So it looks like the new Kicklayout did get installed. I have not checked the version numbers of any of these files.

The boot screen says:
Loading Kickstart files for configuration named AmigaOS4.1 Update 1. (no space between S and 4)

Clearly from reading the output from the boot screen the old Kicklayout is being used, but how?

I am not even sure that another re-installation is going to work since I've already installed from scratch twice now into a fresh partition.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Moxee wrote:I selected AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 option, saved it, and did a hard reboot. Nothing changed! Nothing except that now the AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 is listed in the window as the boot source except for Default.
Right, this is also what I anticipated above.
I've got two Kicklayout files.
- One is named: Kicklayout which has the configuration name: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3
- Other is named: Kicklayout.backup which has the configuration name: AmigaOS4.1 Update 1. (no space between S and 4)
Don't worry about the backup, it is just your previous Kicklayout saved by the installer before creating the new one. Only the one called just Kicklayout will have any effect -- if you actually boot from that volume.
The boot screen says:
Loading Kickstart files for configuration named AmigaOS4.1 Update 1. (no space between S and 4)

Clearly from reading the output from the boot screen the old Kicklayout is being used, but how?
The only way I can ATM see this happening is if you are actually not booting from the volume you think you are booting from, but from a copy somewhere else. You need to go into Media Toolbox once more and re-check and double-check your boot priorities, and also (for good measure) make sure the partition you want to boot from is actually set to be bootable.

Best regards,

Niels
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

@Moxee:

Do you have partitions spread over two or more drives, running under different drivers?

I know I've had a problem like yours with my two drives, a PATA HDD on an SiI0680 and a SATA HDD on an SiI3114. It doesn't matter what boot priorities are set for the different partitions, the 0680 partitions always take preference over the 3114 partitions. When I want to boot one of the 3114 partitions, I have to turn off "Bootable" on EVERY 0680 partition, or else Kickstart modules are loaded from the (highest priority) 0680 partition but SYS: is the (highest priority) 3114 partition.
cheers
tony
Moxee

Post by Moxee »

nbache wrote:
Moxee wrote: The boot screen says:

The only way I can ATM see this happening is if you are actually not booting from the volume you think you are booting from, but from a copy somewhere else.
I think something is preventing my hard drive on my sii3512 card from booting any partition. It is always booting from the hard drive connected to the onboard VIA no matter what the priorities are.
You need to go into Media Toolbox once more and re-check and double-check your boot priorities, and also (for good measure) make sure the partition you want to boot from is actually set to be bootable.
Yes, I did this again and all the priorities and bootables are as they should be. Could it be that the hard drive on the sii3512 is missing something. It has been awhile, but isn't there suppose to be a file installed on it to enable it to boot AmigaOS?

I am beginning to think that this problem started when I installed a new hard drive on the sii3512 to install Update 2 on and for the last year or so I've been booting into Update 1 on the VIA instead of Update 2 on the sii3512. The boot screen always reported that it was booting into configuration AmigaOS4.1 Update 1 (no space between S and 4). I did not worry about that after reading about some error in programming that didn't print out Update 2.

I've got more problems now though. Read my next reply.
Moxee

Post by Moxee »

tonyw wrote: Do you have partitions spread over two or more drives, running under different drivers?
Yes.
I know I've had a problem like yours with my two drives, a PATA HDD on an SiI0680 and a SATA HDD on an SiI3114.
I am using two HDs on the a1ide and one on the sii3512ide.
It doesn't matter what boot priorities are set for the different partitions, the 0680 partitions always take preference over the 3114 partitions. When I want to boot one of the 3114 partitions, I have to turn off "Bootable" on EVERY 0680 partition, or else Kickstart modules are loaded from the (highest priority) 0680 partition but SYS: is the (highest priority) 3114 partition.
I wondered it this was the same for a1ide and sii3512. So, I turned off all the bootables on the a1ide drives. WRONG THING TO DO! It would not boot at all. You'd think it would pick up the bootable partition on the sii3512, but it didn't. I gave up in frustration last night, poured myself a glass of wine, and sat down to watch Ancient Astronauts on TV.

After running errands in town this morning I am about to stick in my AmigaOS4.1 Update 1 CD and attempt to use Media Toolbox to right this horrible situation. Of course that will only get me back to where I was before, still booting Update 1 on the a1ide and trying to boot Update 3 from sii3512.

I suppose if all else fails and I get it back to booting Update 1 I can always install the updates on the a1ide drive. That should work, huh?
Moxee

Post by Moxee »

Moxee wrote: I am about to stick in my AmigaOS4.1 Update 1 CD and attempt to use Media Toolbox to right this horrible situation. Of course that will only get me back to where I was before, still booting Update 1 on the a1ide and trying to boot Update 3 from sii3512.
Oh-oh, no SLB found in any of the designated boot sources
I suppose if all else fails and I get it back to booting Update 1 I can always install the updates on the a1ide drive. That should work, huh?
Gee repairing this is becoming a hassle. Looks like I am going to have to make, yet again, another partition and start over installing AmigaOS 4.1 Update 1, Update 2, Update 3 with a hard reset between each of them. This time I'll do the installation on the a1ide HD since that is where the only booting was taking place. Sigh...
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Moxee,

For Up3 are you un-checking the box on the last install screen before clicking 'Finalize' ?

And for the Developers.......why must this box be un-checked?
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

@Moxee:

You should always have the CD set as "Boot1" in U-Boot. Then "Boot2" and "Boot3" can be your on-board and SiI devices.

Bear in mind that as soon as you go into U-Boot menu, it clears Boot2 and Boot3. It's safer to use "nvgetvar/nvsetvar" to change U-Boot parameters - you can do that from the Shell on the CD.
cheers
tony