USBCtrl fails

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
AlfredOne
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: USBCtrl fails

Post by AlfredOne »

I have the same problem! I will better investigate tomorrow.
Amiga500 Kickstart1.3
AmigaONE XE G4 833MHz - 2GB RAM - Radeon9200 256MB
AmigaONE X1000 - 2GB RAM
  • Radeon R9-280X 3GB
  • Radeon HIS4670 1GB DDR3
  • Radeon RX550
My site: https://project4a.eu
Moxee

Post by Moxee »

AlfredOne wrote:I have the same problem! I will better investigate tomorrow.
I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same problems. While I do not wish any of these computer problems upon anyone, it is still refreshing to find out that I am not alone in this situation. Misery loves company.

I cannot return to seeking a solution for this until perhaps later this evening. I am still painting outside while the temperature is co-operative.

Post by swoop »

Moxee wrote:Just for reference I have an AmigaOne XE, an early bird model.
Now when booting up I am presented with this DOS message after kickstart loads:

Error: USBCtrl only works with USB Stack v53.11
I have just got this error, but in a window on top of workbench.
I have update 2 and update 3 on seperate partitions, and I change the boot priority and re-boot to swap between them.
I have just changed boot priority to boot into update3, did a soft boot, and got the same message as you but in a window.
I did a hard reset (case switch), and no message.
So that would suggest you are mixing OS4 installations/files when trying to boot.
Moxee

Post by Moxee »

swoop wrote:
Moxee wrote:Just for reference I have an AmigaOne XE, an early bird model.
Now when booting up I am presented with this DOS message after kickstart loads:

Error: USBCtrl only works with USB Stack v53.11
I have just got this error, but in a window on top of workbench.
Yes, it is the same here. I guess I was not clear. The message is at the upper left of that window.
I have update 2 and update 3 on seperate partitions, and I change the boot priority and re-boot to swap between them.
I have just changed boot priority to boot into update3, did a soft boot, and got the same message as you but in a window.
I did a hard reset (case switch), and no message.
So that would suggest you are mixing OS4 installations/files when trying to boot.
Yes, it would seem so, but my Update 3 has always had the highest priority. Then when I made my other bootable partitions non-bootable my system wouldn't boot at all. I get a notice that there are not any SLB found on any HD. I had to use the Update 1 CD to make those partitions bootable again before Update 3 would boot, but again with the old kickstart files. I am right back to where I was. It is crazy I know.

To prevent the possibility of mixing files with an older installation I removed all the HDs and installed a new SATA HD as the only HD, made a boot partition, and installed all the Updates 1, 2, and 3 with hard resets between them. Still the problem persists. Where does it get the older kickstart files from? The install works for everyone except for me? It has to be something happening here, but what?

I even re-downloaded all the Updates with OWB thinking somehow I got a bad download. No luck there either.

I am still working on a solution, but I am not sure I will find one.
Last edited by Moxee on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Moxee

Which version of usbsys.device is installed?

If you don't wish to use the shell,

Open the System drawer.
Select Show -All files- from the pull down menu.
Open the Kickstart drawer.
Select the usbsys.device.
Select Information with right click.
Click the question mark for Version:

It should be 53.11
If it is 53.6 then Up3 is not installing/replacing from Up1.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
Moxee

Post by Moxee »

mechanic wrote:Moxee

Which version of usbsys.device is installed?
v53.11, BUT it keeps loading up the old 53.6.
If you don't wish to use the shell,

Open the System drawer.
Select Show -All files- from the pull down menu.
Open the Kickstart drawer.
There is not any Kickstart drawer in there so I used the version command.
Select the usbsys.device.
Select Information with right click.
Click the question mark for Version:

It should be 53.11
If it is 53.6 then Up3 is not installing/replacing from Up1.
It should be 53.11 and I have v53.11 installed. The problem is that something is forcing the old Kickstart files from another partition to load so I end up using v53.6.

Anyway I finally isolated the partition which was causing all this trouble. I was able to make that partition un-bootable and WALLA all the correct Kickstart files loaded. I don't know why making partitions un-bootable previously rendered my system un-usable, but this time it worked. Maybe it is not possible to save more than one partition at a time as un-bootable.

I still have a problem with the sil3512 SATA drives as neither one of them will boot the OS. So, I have to boot from the onboard PATA. The SATA drives work, they just can't be made to boot the OS and that is what I wanted one for.

Well, at least I currently have Update 3 booting with all the correct files even if it is not from the drive I wanted.

The darkness is fading, but the Saga continues....
Last edited by Moxee on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moxee

Post by Moxee »

I want to thank everyone for all their helpful suggestions.

Now that I have Update 3 booting up properly it is interesting to note that Update 3 (imho) has an opening window which is reminiscent of a Warner Brothers cartoon screen. The screen which shows a cartoon character in the center surrounded by increasingly larger colored circles. The Update 3 opening screen shows a Boing Ball in the center surrounded by increasingly larger circles in shades of gray which animate towards the center for a few seconds. It looks nice, but I have not read anyone mentioning this before. After all the trouble I've had I only throw it out here to solicit comments confirming that I am witnessing the proper boot up.

Now, all I have left to do is to figure out why my A1 will only boot from the onboard PATA and not from the 3512 SATA.
Moxee

Post by Moxee »

tonyw wrote:I know I've had a problem like yours with my two drives, a PATA HDD on an SiI0680 and a SATA HDD on an SiI3114. It doesn't matter what boot priorities are set for the different partitions, the 0680 partitions always take preference over the 3114 partitions. When I want to boot one of the 3114 partitions, I have to turn off "Bootable" on EVERY 0680 partition, or else Kickstart modules are loaded from the (highest priority) 0680 partition but SYS: is the (highest priority) 3114 partition.
Would the same hold true with the VIA taking preference over the Sil3512?
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Rigo »

Moxee wrote: Now that I have Update 3 booting up properly it is interesting to note that Update 3 (imho) has an opening window which is reminiscent of a Warner Brothers cartoon screen. The screen which shows a cartoon character in the center surrounded by increasingly larger colored circles. The Update 3 opening screen shows a Boing Ball in the center surrounded by increasingly larger circles in shades of gray which animate towards the center for a few seconds. It looks nice, but I have not read anyone mentioning this before. After all the trouble I've had I only throw it out here to solicit comments confirming that I am witnessing the proper boot up.
I've no idea what "screen" you are talking about there, perhaps a photo of the "effect" might be helpful.

Simon
Thematic

Post by Thematic »

Wouldn't the several disks multiboot work with the Kicklayout BootDevice option? That's how I boot anyway with my single HDD. Only one Kicklayout file is ever used for various AmigaOS 4.0 and 4.1 configurations. I suppose the downside is that system installers thus far don't cater for it.

My OS 4.0 and 4.1 partitions are both at bootpri 0.
* AmigaOneXE 750FX 512+0 MB RAM, Radeon 9200, sii3112ide, DVDRW ~ AmigaOS 4.1 Final