OS4.1FE Update 1 "Unable to open USB function driver"

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
JosDuchIt

OS4.1FE Update 1 "Unable to open USB function driver"

Post by JosDuchIt »

After updating, when booting i get the message
unable to open USB function driver "massstorage.usbfd"

I find the file here
14.OS4.1FE:Kickstart> list mass#?
massstorage.usbfd 55780 ----rwed 27-Nov-16 20:09:30
1 file - 54K bytes - 110 blocks used

What is going wrong?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: OS4.1FE Update 1 "Unable to open USB function driver"

Post by tonyw »

Mounter.library is not being loaded by Kickstart. Maybe because kicklayout has not been updated?

Have you attempted to install the Update over a modified system installation? It is much safer (and strongly recommended) to start with a clean installation of Final Edition and then install the Update over that.

It is always better to leave the system partition clean and free of add-ons. Leave the addons on another partition that you can call from AmiDock or wherever.
cheers
tony
JosDuchIt

Post by JosDuchIt »

I backed up my sys: partition and then updated it using Amiupdate. I tried not to touch my sys partition since OS4.1FE. This updating procedure then looked safe enough to me.

As to the kicksatrt drawer i note that its content was updated with the content of
RAM:AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 1/Content/Kickstart which does not contain a new version of kicklayout
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

Has the same problem installing on a SAM460, using AmiUpdate. The update script stopped part way through and didn't do a complete update. I downloaded the update file from here and re-ran the update, it sorted the problem and completely installed.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

JosDuchit:

The Kickstart/kicklayout file should have been edited to add these last couple of lines:

;
; Update 1
MODULE Kickstart/mounter.library

There should also be mounter.library V53.19 (13/11/2016) (65320 bytes) in Kickstart/ drawer.

If the library is in the drawer and the Kicklayout script has been edited, then it should all work OK. You can make the edit yourself with Notepad if you find it is missing.
cheers
tony
xenic

Post by xenic »

tonyw wrote: The Kickstart/kicklayout file should have been edited to add these last couple of lines:
;
; Update 1
MODULE Kickstart/mounter.library

There should also be mounter.library V53.19 (13/11/2016) (65320 bytes) in Kickstart/ drawer.

If the library is in the drawer and the Kicklayout script has been edited, then it should all work OK. You can make the edit yourself with Notepad if you find it is missing.
My OS4.1FE kicklayout wasn't changed by update1 but it already contained "MODULE Kickstart/mounter.library". Update1 did replace mounter.library with v53.19. Maybe the X1000 update1 is different than JosDuchIt's.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE