Update3 WBStartup issues

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
xenic

Update3 WBStartup issues

Post by xenic »

1. When the WorkBench screen opens it has a grey background for 1 or 2 seconds before the background image is displayed. WBStartup has exactly the same contents as it did with Update2 but WorkBench opened with the background already displayed with Update2. The problem seems to be starting a program that opens a screen behind WorkBench. When I start Dopus4 with the BEHINDWB Tooltype from WBStartup it has no effect on Update2 WorkBench background and I don't see a grey background before the background image is displayed. With Update3, if I disable AmiDock or Dopus4 in WBStartup then WorkBench opens with the background image displayed.

2. If one of the programs in WBStartup is set to "Wait", the "Continue to Wait?" requester opens on a grey WorkBench background with no background image until the requester is cancelled.

3. If one of the programs in WBStartup is set to "Wait" and the "Show Progress Window" item in WBStartup Prefs is ticked (checkmarked), the "Continue to Wait" requester opens behind the WBStartup progress window, can't be read and the requester depth gadget won't bring it to the front of the progress window.

Is there a setting to have WorkBench load the background image before doing anything else or can the behavior be changed in the next update? Seeing the grey background before the background image is loaded or having windows open on the grey background really creates a bad impression and looks ugly.

If one of the WBStartup programs has a large enough icon, the Progress window might completely cover the "Continue to Wait?" requester leaving no way to cancel it. That needs to be fixed for sure in my view.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Update3 WBStartup issues

Post by Rigo »

xenic wrote: 3. If one of the programs in WBStartup is set to "Wait" and the "Show Progress Window" item in WBStartup Prefs is ticked (checkmarked), the "Continue to Wait" requester opens behind the WBStartup progress window, can't be read and the requester depth gadget won't bring it to the front of the progress window.
While not technically a bug (it was actually like this deliberately), this "feature" has been removed in the internal versions, and should be in an update near you at some point.

Simon
xenic

Post by xenic »

Rigo wrote:
xenic wrote: 3. If one of the programs in WBStartup is set to "Wait" and the "Show Progress Window" item in WBStartup Prefs is ticked (checkmarked), the "Continue to Wait" requester opens behind the WBStartup progress window, can't be read and the requester depth gadget won't bring it to the front of the progress window.
While not technically a bug (it was actually like this deliberately), this "feature" has been removed in the internal versions, and should be in an update near you at some point.

Simon
Good. While it's not an issue most users would encounter, I'm glad it's been taken care of. If possible, it would be more visually appealing if WorkBench loaded the background image before starting the WBStartup programs.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
K-L

Post by K-L »

Thanks Rigo, I was going to report the very same behaviour with on program willing to wait (TurboSpool). I deactivated it waiting for a this little update.
--
AmigaONE X1000 / Radeon 2400 Pro (R610LE) / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Samm440ep/733Mhs (o/c) / Radeon M9 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition