Update3 Screens not working.

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
swoop

Update3 Screens not working.

Post by swoop »

Under update 3, screens, and screen prefs are not working.
OWB, Wordworth, and Turbocalc all open on workbench and not there own screens.
I copied env-arc/screens across from update 2, and although they all work correctly under update2
they don't under update3.
Looking at the screen prefs doc, it relies on release 4 intuition.library, Iprefs, prefs/GUI and Prefs/palette.

Under update2 I have-

intuition.library 53.3
Iprefs 53.17
prefs/GUI 53.6
Prefs/palette 53.5
Prefs/screens 53.4

Under update3 I have-

intuition.library 53.32
Iprefs 53.19
prefs/GUI 53.6
Prefs/palette 53.5
Prefs/screens 53.4

As the only changes are intuition.library, and Iprefs, can, or should, I copy them across from update2
to see if they are the problem? Will this screw anything else up?

I tried to run Finalwriter but that won't even open.
I can post snoopy log's if required, but I don't know what else I could provide.

This is on an A1XEG3-800 Radeon 9250 512mb ram.

Any help would be appreciated, if you need more info just post.
Spectre660

Re: Update3 Screens not working.

Post by Spectre660 »

My screens from update 2 work ok.
I ended up installing update 3 on my original update 2 system partition instead of doing a clean install.
everything has worked well after I changed my defective graphcs card.
xenic

Post by xenic »

My Update2 Screens are working with Update3. I backed up my Update2 system and installed Update3 over it.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

@swoop
If your screenmode IDs have changed/disappeared, then you could see exactly the problem you are seeing. So I would try setting the screenmodes for all Screen prefs. For FinalWriter you may have to delete it's prefs file.

How could your screenmode IDs change? Well there is a bug in Update 3 where custom screenmodes below about 640x480 are simply ignored, and this causes higher screenmodes to have lower IDs. So if you had several small custom screenmodes defined before your normal screenmodes, then this would happen. Moral of the story: Define your "normal" screenmodes first, and then put "special" custom ones afterwards...
swoop

Post by swoop »

ChrisH wrote:If your screenmode IDs have changed/disappeared, then you could see exactly the problem you are seeing. So I would try setting the screenmodes for all Screen prefs. For FinalWriter you may have to delete it's prefs file.
I tried deleting the FinaWriter prefs file, but no joy.
How could your screenmode IDs change? Well there is a bug in Update 3 where custom screenmodes below about 640x480 are simply ignored, and this causes higher screenmodes to have lower IDs. So if you had several small custom screenmodes defined before your normal screenmodes, then this would happen. Moral of the story: Define your "normal" screenmodes first, and then put "special" custom ones afterwards...
Looking at Prefs/ScreenModes there are several 640x480 defined which I don't recall having set up, but I have nothing lower than that.

In Screenmodes the following are set up before the Radeon 9250: modes, and all have the same mode properties, except for the mode id, which seems weird:-
PAL:Low Res ModeID 0x21000
PAL:High Res ModeID 0x29000
PAL:Super-High Res ModeID 0x29020
PAL:Low Res Laced ModeID 0x21004
PAL:High Res Laced ModeID 0x29004
PAL:Super-High Res Laced ModeID 0x29024

The Radeon modes then start with:-
Radeon 9250:640x480 CLUT8 ModeID 0x50021000, etc

I presume these are the ones automatically set up from within OS4.

Can I load the existing screenmode database, copied from update2, and just redefine/save each one, or do I have to start from scratch?
Well there is a bug in Update 3 where custom screenmodes below about 640x480 are simply ignored, and this causes higher screenmodes to have lower IDs.
Is this likely to be fixed soon, and will I have the same problem again, when it is fixed?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

If you go into Prefs/Screens, you should see all your old screens by name in the list. Just select each name in turn and make sure that it's the screenmode you expect it to be.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I never expect screenmodes to remain after a re-install and I always assume that I'll have to reset them. Usually it's only the mode that has changed and that's easy to fix.
cheers
tony
swoop

Post by swoop »

tonyw wrote:Maybe I'm paranoid, but I never expect screenmodes to remain after a re-install and I always assume that I'll have to reset them. Usually it's only the mode that has changed and that's easy to fix.
As prefs/GUI, Prefs/palette, and Prefs/screens hadn't changed I didn't even think about it.
When I updated from Update1 to 2, all I did was copy the env-arc/screens/ accross.

Just one question, will I have to re-do this when the bug is fixed?