Text file corrupted when dragged from RAM to USB pen

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
samo79

Re: Text file corrupted when dragged from RAM to USB pen

Post by samo79 »

See grab:
Attachments
save_to_usb_txt_corrupted.png
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

samo79 wrote:See grab:

I've sen this, never with a simple text file though usually with a much larger PDF file or smilar.

Basically you didn't let the original file finnish copying. If you have stick with a disk lght on it you need to wait for that light to stop before opening the file you just wrote.

I've only seen this once ot twice and ony very recently.

The fact you can open the file before it's finished copying seems strange to me, could be a quirk in the file system maybe ? Or a problem with the caching?
xenic

Post by xenic »

broadblues wrote:
samo79 wrote:See grab:

I've sen this, never with a simple text file though usually with a much larger PDF file or smilar.

Basically you didn't let the original file finnish copying. If you have stick with a disk lght on it you need to wait for that light to stop before opening the file you just wrote.

I've only seen this once ot twice and ony very recently.

The fact you can open the file before it's finished copying seems strange to me, could be a quirk in the file system maybe ? Or a problem with the caching?
I created an 18MB text file for testing and noticed that if the file doesn't have a "real" icon then DefIcons doesn't show an icon in the destination window until the file has finished copying. If the file has a "real" icon then an icon appears in the destination window long before the file has finished copying. If AsyncWB were changed to copy a file before copying it's icon it probably wouldn't be possible to click the icon before the file is completely copied.

I wasn't able to reproduce the corrupted display with my huge text file because Multiview always threw up a warning requester after I clicked on the icon in the destination window and didn't load the file at all.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE