detailed change-log of update3 (and any other update)

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

detailed change-log of update3 (and any other update)

Post by kas1e »

Well , i am not sure if my topic will have any postive feedback from os4devs, and will you all think about it in real way, but better to try it out, maybe as with case with annoing with blogs and forums it will make sense, and os4 developing will changes in one more positive way. So,

The first question is general one, and fundamental with all updates: all the information in every update, about new features and changes given to users in very simply, plain, and i can say "dumb-mode", while almost all amiga users today advanced ones, and aware about all the bugs which they want to see fixed. Of course, some amiga users still "casual ones" (less and less, but they still present) , and for them, simple-change-log are fine, but much more users prefer detailed change-log and updates descriprion.

As i see it , it should (well, should bad word here, let's change it on "will be good") go in 2 ways:

1. simple/dumb-mode as it now for public newses/sites/information/etc.

2. readme with details change log about every changed and updated component somethere in the root of ISO or arhive (btw, there is one more moment: better to release just full ISOs imho, its debatable of course,but installing update1, then 2, and then 3, its a bit mess. Full clean ISO are better for sure).
If you all not want to bother with it, will be just cool to cut+paste all the bug-zilla "fixed"/"changed"/"added" entrys to that file. So, advanced users, programmers and all will know what was fixed exactly (from what they reported), what not fixed, what they can test to see if it fixed, and what was added or not.

3. for all the new files releases with update, add documentation about what was changed / fixed / added since last update/release. Because for example, i see new notepad in update3. But do not know what changes in it, so i maybe miss someting good. the same for other bins and libs.

I see there nothing hard to put that files into updates, and major os releases , it will be not hard work , and will be very-very good for users to see how all of this was fixed, who fix it (and even try to send mesages to authors of fix, without worring about who works on what and so on).

I am sure, almost all the users will say "yes, it will be cool", to have 2 change logs: one are simply one as it now, and one detailed one, just copy+paste from bugzilla, or even a bit "manually changed". Just take a look as Thore do for MUI. Something like this for every component are very good to have. Its all debatable of course, all what is important : if os4devs want to do it, to make os4 better.

@Ssolie
You are new team-lead now, and as i see you want to make better communication with end users, so, maybe that a change to make all better in that terms ? Through, after i read how you answer to users in some threads here, i fear you can just lock that thread as well :)

The next question is exactly about update3 and detailed change log (you can see, how bad to not have detailed change log for advanced users, and even for plain users as well). Let's begin (and even, if it just example of how its all unclear, will be cool if devs will also answer on my example questions too):
Updated Installation Utility program;
What exactly updated ? Its just bug-fixed or something new added ? If fixed, then which bugs exactly, if something new added, then what ?
Updated PATA and SATA drivers;
How they updated ? Bug-fixing or new features? Which ones ? Did they works now faster or slower, better or worse ? Did they all works fully as driver should, with all that fast speed tricks, dmas or whatever else ? Was there added something very good lately beetwen update2 and update3 ?
Fixed Amiga shared object issues;
Which issues exactly ?
Updated Intuition and GUI components;
What exactly was updated, and which gui components ?
New consistent full release string including update number;
What did it mean, and how we can use it , and how good or bad its for end users ?
Updated and improved Warp3D support;
What exactly was fixed and what exactly was impoved ? I know only that Hans improve out-of-memory corruption, and that Karlos add some fixes, but nothing detailed and nothing more about other fixes and updates.
Faster 2D graphics support;
How it done ? For what machines ? I know that only for sam series Maxx add DMA support for rtg.library, but not for pegasos2 / a1 and others. Or did dma works for all machines now ? Or did faster 2d graphics support mean something else, like better WritePixelArray() itself, or some other functions of P96 ?
Various kernel fixes for increased stability;
That is very interesting: what was fixed exactly. Was elf.library.kmod (let's think that its' kernel related) fixed in terms of bug which i report before, and was all fixed in terms of bugs which Alfkil report ? I know you will say "which bugs?" , but the same i say "how can i check my bugs was they fixed or not, if we have no detailed change-log".
Updated MUI with many new features to make porting MUI 4.0 based applications simpler;
Knowing how much work Thore spend on it, and how much was added, its all can't be so simplified. Its all was fixed a lot, hundreds of bugs was fixed, tons of new features was added, and its all not only about porting, but just in general. Good that in case with mui, we have what we need : real change_log with all the information we need.
Improved notifications support.
How it was impoved ? In which areas ? Just bug-fixing or what ?

Now you can see how all of this "too-simply", and just make problems for advanced users.

I hope that os4devs will understand how all of this important, and will not say something like "users should not know about it". If you want to make aos4 better, then we all should aware about best of all for devs, users and customers. Hope that topic will make any sense :)
samo79

Re: detailed change-log of update3 (and any other update)

Post by samo79 »

Yep as users (not so advanced ok, but neither plain user!) what kas1e propose make mutch mutch sense to me, i'm often looking for changelogs somewhere expecially to read in details witch bug are fixed or not when i did some betatest, hopefully we can see somethings similar of future updates ;)
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

Thank you for your suggestions but I do not agree. We will not be including heavily detailed release notes.
ExecSG Team Lead
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@ssolie
Thank you for your suggestions but I do not agree. We will not be including heavily detailed release notes.
"I do not agree" sounds a bit not like "the whole os4dev team do not agree".. Anyway, sadly, sounds unlogical and imho make one more minus for os4 from side of users. What about others in os4dev team ? They also think that better to not include detailed release notes , or its only your decission ?

@all
Anyway, who then can answer on my questions about update3 changes then ? Its cleary visibly, that its unpossible to know what was fixed/updated and added. How can i check new features, if i didn't know which ones was added in different components ?
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Lets be honest here this is undoubtedly a form of unnecessary monitoring...

I say lock the thread before we rally a possie to burn the heretics! 8-)
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
samo79

Post by samo79 »

@Slayer
I say lock the thread before we rally a possie to burn the heretics!
Ehh, i don't understand why, they are just "normal question and suggestions" not complaints or whatelse ;)
I strongly doubt you can read trolling args in this kind of forum, we all want to help and ONLY help, i hate trolling as and maybe more than you !

@Ssolie

Well, while i can understand your point of view as team leader i can say that opening a bit more the "comunication" between you and us can help a lot both you and your team (and of course it can help the OS4 development), look at this simple example:

Some weeks ago (before Update 3 was released) i've reported 2 or 3 bugs here, when i've installed it for the first time on my computer i was quite sure that all problems i've reported was sorted in meantime, but that's not !

This was my conclusion after reading this:
Updated Intuition and GUI components;
What was solved here ?
I was reported some problems with the NetSurf GUI to help ChrisY but all problems still when we was sure that all problems was sorted out, for now i only see certain improvement into the clicktab-gadget but how about all the other gadgets, what's new on them, how can developers use theese improvements ?

I'm sure we have tons of new things here but some docs would be pretty nice to have, i'm sure ChrisY would be happy enough to found somethings new in Reaction to be able to improve the NetSurf GUI. this is just another small example

Another example:
- Updated and improved Warp3D support;
I try UFO AI and now it's ok, but for example WipeOut and other games continue to freeze badly, if team developers can add their changelog, we (as users, but today we are also advanced users) can understand exactly witch problems are there and what problems are fixed and maybe report all our impressions to help our team !

I really like to help and of course i don't want anythings back for this, i just want to make my system (AmigaOS4) better and better helping you and your team :-D

Aniway, i surely appreciate the new style, the new forums, the blog etc, just a bit more and clean comunications would be awesome for us, as users or developers :-)

Thanks for all :-)
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

@samo79
WipeOut crashing is NOT the fault of OS4. WipeOut contains some debug code (writing to a fixed memory location) which happens to not cause problems on OS3, but kills OS4 not to mention that 'other' OS. Someone wrote a patch for WipeOut, to fix this, but it is not available for OS4.
samo79

Post by samo79 »

But WipeOut 2097 works just good on my AmigaOne G3 800 (AmigaOS 4.1 Update 2) and AFAIK it works also on Sam440ep with M9 chip, it just freeze using oldest (and latest) Warp3D on Sam440ep Flex (Radeon 9250)

EDIT: I just try with Wazp3D beta 50 and freeze seems solved !
Altrough it's slow like hell cause software rendering :-/

But it's a first step forward i hope ...
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

samo79 wrote:But WipeOut 2097 ... works also on Sam440ep with M9 chip
No, it is problematic on my Sam440 (ITX) too. Although apparently only if you start running out of time (or something - I haven't played it in ages).
EDIT: I just try with Wazp3D beta 50 and freeze seems solved !
Probably just coincidence/luck...
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@all
Let's back to topic :)

Anyone from os4 developer team can answer on my questsions about what exactly was fixed/changes/added in that areas which i highlight ? Seriusly, i really can't understand why os4dev team can't include normal change-log as done for Mui, but ok , one more minus for OS4 from few potential users, but still, can anyone please answer on my questions ? I really in interest to know some more. Because how it possible to do tests / coding if you do not know what was fixed and what was added ?